shape
carat
color
clarity

Is the halo too big/chunky?

j1988l

Rough_Rock
We got our ring custom made and originally asked for a ring with a thinner halo (23 diamonds) but now it turns out the ring has a much chunkier halo with bigger diamonds (13)
What is your opinion on this ring? I know taste is subjective, but I just wanted some honest options. My center stone is 1.25, my SO is super excited and prefers the bigger diamonds. He says it's worth more because the diamonds are bigger. It's not the ring that I ever envisioned but I so badly want to like it. I know once I see it it will probably be gorgeous. But wanted to get the opinion of someone with a experienced eye!

09ea48b0-51fa-4332-be74-6f88fd7a4047.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is a subjective thing.

But here's my advice. Talking yourself into anything like this... it doesn't work long term.

It's not a good deal. As one of our posters MsSalvo says: a deal isn't a deal unless you get exactly what you want.

I personally wouldn't settle. In fact, I would get my money back, and take my stone elsewhere.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like chunky halos (cluster). But not this particular design. I prefer a chunky halo where the curvature of each stone is pronounced giving a floral look.

Most importantly, it is not what you want.

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock
I agree, and whilst it's lovely, if you go back to your original plan with smaller stones it will make your centre stone really pop - do half pointers and be firm. I'm afraid if you get it home as it is then later decide for a daintier halo you'll then loose overall size and finger coverage....you'll feel like your ring got smaller and you should not even be feeling like that (for a good few years anyway hehe)

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For me...the stones in the halo are too big. I would start over if possible. The band is also too wide. I would not go with
such a thick band. If you dont find it appealing than it's not worth it. The ring being worth more because the stones are bigger
is not something to take into consideration if you dont like the look of it.

Start over...get what you want!

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
You are the one who commissioned the ring, and who will be wearing it daily. If it is not what you asked and paid for, speak up! Personally, I think the diamonds in the halo do look more cocktailish than halo engagement, and the shank is a bit overwhelming to the overall design of it.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Different take:
Although it really blows if a ring maker misses the mark, of course it does happen.
I can say from experience that the picture sometimes distorts reality.
IOW, sometimes what you don't love in the picture can look amazing on your finger.

My advice would be to look at it in real life and make the decision.
Of course if you don't love it then, you'll need to make some decisions.

Remember too that making a super delicate halo is a much more difficult ( and expensive) job than making it slightly chunky.

Good luck!!

iwantsparkle

Shiny_Rock
It sounds like it's not THE ring, as it is now.

I like the chunkier halo, but if I had asked for smaller melee/halo I would not be satisfied.

It is okay to say you want it re-done.

You are the one who will be wearing it and you should love it.

I would want them to refine the shank, too.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I say I dont like it and yoy decide to keep it, will you be offended?

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The halo does not look custom made for the cut of your stone. The halo appears more roundish while your stone appears more rectangle in shape. The large space on either side of the center stone and the halo makes the fit appear to be more awkward. I like bigger diamonds but I think that the fit of your center stone is wrong. Perhaps if the spaces were not there and the shape of the halo was more in line with the shape of your stone the bigger diamonds would look OK.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Interesting....remember, this is just an academic discussion for me......but I don't see large gaps, nor does the ring seem obviously NOT made for the stone. Honestly- I'd need to see a number of photos from different angles to begin to be able to see details. I'd actually need to have the ring in my hands to be able to make any definitive determination on if it was custom made.

I'm not at suggesting that the OP keep a ring she does not love. Also NOT defending the ring maker, who IMO should never have promised a given number of diamonds in a halo.....-but definitely suggesting to get better information- and see the ring in person before making decisions that may cause problems.

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I agree with Rockdiamond. Try it on before you discard it. We dont know your ring size so the picture may not really reflect how it looks on your hand IRL. If the band is 2mm like you said in an earlier thread I would not make it thinner like some here suggest.
If you decide you dont like it, change it!

j1988l

Rough_Rock
Hi guys!

I had this idea of what I wanted for so long I got hooked to it. I'm going to do what a few of you very wisely suggested and see the ring first. My SOs reaction (he picked it up today) was over the moon. He said (like previously stated) that the pictures does the ring NO JUSTICE at all. I trust his opinion and I'm confident I will like it, but time will tell!

Just for those of you questioning, the ring was hand made from scratch!

For those of you that are interested; here is a second pic I got yesterday! Safe to say it looks a lot better from this angle!

img_0080_1.jpg

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its a pretty ring from the man you love :love:

When will you see it on your finger?

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's beautiful! I like the larger melee and the ring is going to have great finger coverage. I hope you don't have to wait too long to get it and I hope you love it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results