shape
carat
color
clarity

Is setting, unsetting, and resetting a diamond dangerous?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MMM

Brilliant_Rock
My boyfriend just purchased a diamond from an online PS vendor and is having the stone shipped down from NYC to FL to get it appraised before shipping it back to NYC to be set in a custom setting.

My boyfrined and his mom think that it is best to have the NYC jewler set the ring in the cheapest setting available before shipping it down, then having the appraiser take the diamond out to appraise it, then reset the diamond before sending to back up to NYC, where it will then be dismounted again before finally landing in its new, and final setting.

This is all for insurance purposes, since you, of course, cant insure an unmounted diamond.

However, is all this setting and unsetting possibly dangerous to the stone? Or am I just being overprotective??

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
There is little risk of breakage with a well cut round diamond. A princess cut can have pointed corners which break off. Who will be responsible for the resetting work in Florida? There is very little risk to have an unset diamond sent to your appraiser and then returned for setting. It can be insured all alone the way and you don''t have to worry about it.

Unset diamonds can be sent via Parcel Pro or One Service. Jewelers know about these services. Jewelers Mutual allows the use of Express Mail for unset stones. Dealers can handle the requirements of coverage until you make the deal.

Londonchris

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/20/2006 2:04:47 PM
Author: oldminer A princess cut can have pointed corners which break off.
OR a princess cut does have pointed corners which can break off.
37.gif

Just send the stone loose in a "registered" package (details at the local post office).
All that setting and unsetting is a total waste of time and effort.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results