shape
carat
color
clarity

Is my Neil Lane ring from Kay Jewelers real or not?

bearsnbeets

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hi everyone! I am hoping someone can help me...

So my fiance proposed with the ring of my dreams!!!! He took a 1/2 CT diamond from a no brand ring at Kay Jewelers and had it put into a Neil Lane halo setting for a 1 carat weight total. I had the ring resized and went up 1 size and also sent it in to get a few of my diamonds that were loose tightened. I never thought to look at it before we went to appraise the ring so I'm not 100% sure it had Neil Lane engraved on the band in the first place or not. The problem started when I went to get the ring appraised and it was appraised for THOUSANDS less than what was paid for it. Red flag #1!! Then the appraiser also said that the total carat weight was 7/8 and not 1 like we paid for. Red flag #2!! I took the appraisal and went to my local Kay and they were less than helpful. They basically just filled out what my receipt said onto their "appraisal form" without even so much as looking at my ring. I am concerned that either my ring got switched accidentally when I sent it out to get serviced, that it's not an actual Neil Lane brand ring and just Kay's cheaper version, or that they never switched out the main diamond in the first place! I am at a loss and I don't know what to do. I want to make sure my ring gets appraised for what we paid for it at the very least, and everyone I have talked to has said that their rings have been appraised for WAY more than what was paid.

So my main questions: are all Neil Lane rings engraved with Neil Lane and is there any reason it wouldn't have that engraved? Also how do I go about measuring the total carat weight of my ring without voiding the warranty I have through Kay?

Any help is VERY MUCH appreciated!!!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately, Kays is notorious for selling subpar diamonds for inflated prices. So I am not super surprised that it appraised for less than was paid. Also not surprised that Kay would advertise 1ct when it was actually 7/8ct. Sorry :(

bearsnbeets

Rough_Rock
Trade
Unfortunately, Kays is notorious for selling subpar diamonds for inflated prices. So I am not super surprised that it appraised for less than was paid. Also not surprised that Kay would advertise 1ct when it was actually 7/8ct. Sorry :(

That's the problem I'm having. The Neil Lane ring that he bought was 7/8ct with a 1/3ct center stone, but he took a 1/2ct diamond from a no-brand ring and put it into the Neil Lane setting which would make it a 1ct but it didn't get appraised as that so I'm lost on what to do or how to fix this!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's the problem I'm having. The Neil Lane ring that he bought was 7/8ct with a 1/3ct center stone, but he took a 1/2ct diamond from a no-brand ring and put it into the Neil Lane setting which would make it a 1ct but it didn't get appraised as that so I'm lost on what to do or how to fix this!
Get a refund?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The problem started when I went to get the ring appraised and it was appraised for THOUSANDS less than what was paid for it. Red flag #1!!
For thousands less? How much did you paid? Any pics of this ring?

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Hi everyone! I am hoping someone can help me...

So my fiance proposed with the ring of my dreams!!!! He took a 1/2 CT diamond from a no brand ring at Kay Jewelers and had it put into a Neil Lane halo setting for a 1 carat weight total. I had the ring resized and went up 1 size and also sent it in to get a few of my diamonds that were loose tightened. I never thought to look at it before we went to appraise the ring so I'm not 100% sure it had Neil Lane engraved on the band in the first place or not. The problem started when I went to get the ring appraised and it was appraised for THOUSANDS less than what was paid for it. Red flag #1!! Then the appraiser also said that the total carat weight was 7/8 and not 1 like we paid for. Red flag #2!! I took the appraisal and went to my local Kay and they were less than helpful. They basically just filled out what my receipt said onto their "appraisal form" without even so much as looking at my ring. I am concerned that either my ring got switched accidentally when I sent it out to get serviced, that it's not an actual Neil Lane brand ring and just Kay's cheaper version, or that they never switched out the main diamond in the first place! I am at a loss and I don't know what to do. I want to make sure my ring gets appraised for what we paid for it at the very least, and everyone I have talked to has said that their rings have been appraised for WAY more than what was paid.

So my main questions: are all Neil Lane rings engraved with Neil Lane and is there any reason it wouldn't have that engraved? Also how do I go about measuring the total carat weight of my ring without voiding the warranty I have through Kay?

Any help is VERY MUCH appreciated!!!

Lesson. Learned never shop at a mall jewelry store, unless it is privately owned and comes with good references . Kay and all others are nothing more than old navy for jewelry and you get what you pay for so sorry. My daughter once bought a ring for her girlfriend on lay a way no less. And they made her open a credit card. What a nightmare returning that . Good luck so so sorry

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Is "Neil Lane" stamped or inscribed on the inside of the ring?

HGar

Shiny_Rock
When you say he spent $3800 was that just for the setting or are you including the replacement stone as well? Ie

He purchased the ring from Kay’s for $....... (this included a centre diamond). The ring setting was not used, only the stone. So you need to take this into account.

He purchased a separate Neil Lane setting for $.......

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I cannot tell from your post whether or not the Neil Lane setting was also sold by Kay. If so can you go to Kay and look at similar settings to see if they are stamped? If they are can you try and insist on swapping for a Neil Lane setting?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The setting doesnt look like .5ct to me (hard to tell, but it looks like smaller melee stones). Also, it shouldn't be possible to put a .5 stone into a halo setting that originally held a 1/3. So are you sure he didnt buy a 1/3ct stone?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, where did the ring get appraised? And what about his receipts? Does he have any of the paperwork from the time of purchase? That could help a lot

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This thread reminded me of another Kay’s Neil Lane thread:

Not really sure what to say here, if you can’t get a refund then you could always wear it until you can upgrade down the road. There are so many things that happened to the ring after purchase, I’m not sure you could make a case for a refund or anything else. It is a pretty ring though.

ETA: Just to clarify, I didn’t post the other thread about Kay’s and NL because I think you got taken. Did he buy the Neil Lane ring from Kay’s as well? It seems like from this other thread that Neil Lane may be supplying settings to mall jewelers that are “in the style of” but not stamped with the Neil Lane stamp. Without knowing whether the ring was stamped before the resize it may be impossible to determine this.

Last edited:

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
If it isn't stamped or engraved, then it may not be a genuine NL setting:

Screenshot_20210713-202021.png

josieKat

Shiny_Rock
If it isn't stamped or engraved, then it may not be a genuine NL setting:

Kay has its own Neil Lane line that is different from the couture NL, presumably, but all the examples I found also have Neil Lane on them.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Where did you get the ring appraised? Was it done by an independant appraiser or by a jewellery store who does appraisal?

Sabrina31

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Also, what was the appraisal for? In jewelry most of the time you ever buy something at retail you would never be able to sell it at retail again, and from a mall vendor, in my experience, it would be maybe 1/3 the initial price. So if it's to sell that makes sense, if it's an appraisal for insurance you need to make sure that you're getting an appraisal for replacement value.
Hope that helps :)

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@bearsnbeets It's unlikely that things got switched. Do you like the ring and the diamond? You say it's the ring of your dreams and It looks like a pretty ring from your photo. Since you are past the return period, asking your questions and getting answers you may not like are not going to make you feel better. I doubt you have any recourse unless you can show fraud and that's unlikely because I think buying things from Kay kind of puts you in a situation where you are always paying too much for what you get, hence the appraisal that comes in as less. I think this is just a lesson learned. Don't buy jewelry, ever, at a mall jeweler. And if you do buy from a mall jeweler at least come here before the return period expires. Upsetting yourself over what is probably ( I hope I'm wrong) what you agreed to buy, won't fix anything and just make you unhappy. Someday you may want to upgrade ( like most of the people on here have done, some a few times) and if you do, come here first for advice and make an educated purchase.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If they sold him a Neil Lane setting it should be stamped Neil Lane. If the store will not address this discrepancy you need to call corporate and bring this to their attention.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If they sold him a Neil Lane setting it should be stamped Neil Lane. If the store will not address this discrepancy you need to call corporate and bring this to their attention.

I had the ring resized and went up 1 size and also sent it in to get a few of my diamonds that were loose tightened. I never thought to look at it before we went to appraise the ring so I'm not 100% sure it had Neil Lane engraved on the band in the first place or not.

She did have it resized (larger, I know) but doesn't know if the stamp was there before or not, so that is something that could hurt her claim. She also doesn't say that it doesn't look like the ring she sent in. Maybe I'm wrong but her issue seems to be the appraised value and how much lower it was than the purchase price and it sounds like she thinks that perhaps it is not actually a Neil Lane ring and that is what caused the lower value.

she also says this
I want to make sure my ring gets appraised for what we paid for it at the very least, and everyone I have talked to has said that their rings have been appraised for WAY more than what was paid.

which is probably just being naive. we all know that appraisals from jewelry stores where rings are purchased often come out higher than what was paid so the customer thinks they got a great deal. We also know that those appraisals usually just mean that they over pay when they insure since it's unlikely that it's an accurate replacement cost. It sounds like OP actually had a different jeweler do her appraisal so it is probably a more accurate value for replacement cost. Maybe she has a claim because the ring isn't stamped. But we are looking at a purchase from a mall jeweler and this is not a new story, no matter how unfortunate.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A couple of comments:
* Unless the appraiser removed the center diamond from its setting, the carat weight assigned by the appraiser is an estimate, based on a formula. See, e.g.,​
I'm assuming the appraiser used a formula; imo any appraiser worth their salt will note the basis for the weight given on their appraisal (lab report, removed stone from setting & weighed it, or formula), and I gather the appraiser you used gave no such explanation.​
* The US Federal Trade Commission allows for a little bit of wriggle room in the carat weight of diamonds described as being, e.g., 1/3 carat or 1/2 carat. For example, a diamond described by a retailer as 1/2 carat might actually weigh between .45 and .54 carat. See the Diamond Weight section on this FTC page:​
So it's possible that the diamond that Kay described as being 1/3 ct was actually a bit more & the purchased diamond described as 1/2 ct was actually somewhat less.​
* FWIW, I ran through eBay listings for Neil Lane rings purchased at Kay Jewelers. Not every listing had a pic of the inner shank, but the Neil Lane signature is in every one of those did have that kind of photo.​
Did Kay Jewelers do the re-sizing; any chance you still have the paperwork for that? If so, how was the ring described on the "intake" form & on the sales receipt - do either of those refer to Neil Lane, use the abbreviation NL or least give the SKU number for the setting?

Last edited:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
search for an appraiser near you.
Ask on here if there is not one on the list or to see if someone has used who your considering.
Take the ring and all the paperwork and give it to him/her and ask does my ring match the paperwork?
Then go from there with your other questions and discuss value and market.(replacment,sell used yourself, sell to jeweler are some examples of markets and are all different values)

Last edited:

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I suspect the appraiser arrived at the estimate he did because this looks exactly like your ring:

It appears to not be a Neil Lane setting, but the website does say the center stone is half a carat.

There don't seem to be any Neil Lane settings for princesses that look similar so if it was switched out it SHOULD have been pretty obvious because you'd have received a different style than you'd sent in. If that was what your setting looked like from the start, it was never a Neil Lane setting.

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I suspect the appraiser arrived at the estimate he did because this looks exactly like your ring:

It appears to not be a Neil Lane setting, but the website does say the center stone is half a carat.

There don't seem to be any Neil Lane settings for princesses that look similar so if it was switched out it SHOULD have been pretty obvious because you'd have received a different style than you'd sent in. If that was what your setting looked like from the start, it was never a Neil Lane setting.

It would make total sense if the original stone that was in the setting was actually 1/2 and so is your new one. That way the ct weight would be the same.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It would make total sense if the original stone that was in the setting was actually 1/2 and so is your new one. That way the ct weight would be the same.

Yep. My guess is that the whole "putting the center stone into the Neil Lane setting" thing just never happened.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bit confusing.
How is the $3,800 total arrived at?
what exactly is detailed on the original receipts?
The original no name ring with the .50 carat diamond, how much was that? What happened to the setting once the diamond was removed (it has a $$ value)?
The Neil Lane ring, was that the $2,199.99 one with a 1/3 carat centre? What happened to the centre 1/3 carat diamond from this ring? It too has a $$ value.
And to add to the confusion, your ring as it is, looks exactly like the $1,799 one currently for sale at Kay’s which is no doubt why it was appraised at that price.
It has a 1/2 carat centre diamond.
Neil Lane rings have a hallmark, that’s how they are identified. A resizing won’t remove the entire hallmark, normally they resize so that the hallmark remains.
Do your receipts specify you purchased a Neil Lane ring or not?
And where is, or how was price adjusted for the fact you don’t have the setting the 1/2 carat diamond came in and you don’t have the 1/3 carat diamond that was originally in the Neil Lane setting?

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bit confusing.
How is the $3,800 total arrived at?
what exactly is detailed on the original receipts?
The original no name ring with the .50 carat diamond, how much was that? What happened to the setting once the diamond was removed (it has a $$ value)?
The Neil Lane ring, was that the $2,199.99 one with a 1/3 carat centre? What happened to the centre 1/3 carat diamond from this ring? It too has a $$ value.
And to add to the confusion, your ring as it is, looks exactly like the $1,799 one currently for sale at Kay’s which is no doubt why it was appraised at that price.
It has a 1/2 carat centre diamond.
Neil Lane rings have a hallmark, that’s how they are identified. A resizing won’t remove the entire hallmark, normally they resize so that the hallmark remains.
Do your receipts specify you purchased a Neil Lane ring or not?
And where is, or how was price adjusted for the fact you don’t have the setting the 1/2 carat diamond came in and you don’t have the 1/3 carat diamond that was originally in the Neil Lane setting?

Yes. It's really necessary at this point to know what the receipt said. If the receipt indicates something that did not happen, they should pursue getting their money back - either for what was not given or for the entire everything with the ring returned, depending on how OP feels about her ring after this. Though they may struggle to prove anything so far after the fact.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results