color
clarity

Is Money Important toYou?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/21/2010 8:09:54 PM
Author: packrat
The whole money can/can''t buy happiness thing, I guess it depends on how you look at it. If I have the money to buy a needy child something for Christmas, and it makes the child happy, and it makes me happy to see a child happy, isn''t that buying happiness? If I donate money to charity, say a battered women''s shelter or something, and the women are able to start new lives and are happy, and I''m happy, isn''t that buying happiness?

If someone said to me ''All the money in the world wouldn''t make me happy'' I''d think they were crazy. If I won the lottery I would be giddy with happiness being able to help people/animals, make our town a place people actually want to *stay* in, scholarships for schools, all kinds of things.

Maybe that''s splitting hairs but that''s my thoughts on it.

That would be lovely. *But* what if you were all alone with no one to share your happiness with? What if your child/loved one had a terrible illness that money could not cure? Would all the money in the world make you happy then? That is what I am trying to say. If I am healthy and my loved ones are healthy then damn, I am ahead of the game and everything else is just gravy...IMO.
1.gif

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
To an extent it is.

Something MUCH more important to me is:

Health

Something a BIT less important then money is:

hard to answer for me because if I were to make a list of what IS important to me...money would be last and I''m not sure what I''d put underneath that

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
If something happened to my kids/husband or anyone in my family/circle of friends, I would be devastated, and even trying to put myself in someone else''s shoes when things like that happen hurts my brain to the point that I can''t even comprehend being in that position.

Money would allow me to help others, and that would make me happy, even tho it would never bring back lost loved ones, it could help prevent someone else from experiencing the same thing. Yes, I can help others even tho I currently have 11 cents in my account, and it will still make me happy making others happy. However, I like the thought of making lots of people happy with my lots of money.

There are unhappy millionaires, and happy people living paycheck to paycheck. Happiness should start from within. A miserable person is a miserable person regardless of their wealth or lack thereof. I choose to be happy in my life, but given the further choice, I would choose to be deliriously happy making others deliriously happy.

Just having a million dollars wouldn''t make me happy. Using that money to help others and do good things *would*.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/21/2010 8:44:06 PM
If something happened to my kids/husband or anyone in my family/circle of friends, I would be devastated, and even trying to put myself in someone else's shoes when things like that happen hurts my brain to the point that I can't even comprehend being in that position.

Money would allow me to help others, and that would make me happy, even tho it would never bring back lost loved ones, it could help prevent someone else from experiencing the same thing. Yes, I can help others even tho I currently have 11 cents in my account, and it will still make me happy making others happy. However, I like the thought of making lots of people happy with my lots of money.

There are unhappy millionaires, and happy people living paycheck to paycheck. Happiness should start from within. A miserable person is a miserable person regardless of their wealth or lack thereof. I choose to be happy in my life, but given the further choice, I would choose to be deliriously happy making others deliriously happy.

Just having a million dollars wouldn't make me happy. Using that money to help others and do good things *would*.

I totally agree with you Packrat.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
If money bought happiness, you wouldn''t see so very many celebrities go on downward spirals that they do. Money is important to an extent to survive and live comfortably, but it doesn''t buy you (real) love, it only buys you things.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t think money *automatically* brings happiness, but I do think people who are in touch with themselves enough to know what truly does make them happy can effectively use their money to bring them closer to happiness. Miserable millionaires are just fools who don''t know what makes them happy, in my opinion.

I''ll use myself as an example. Among other things, spending time with my loved ones makes me happy. Reading, teaching, rollerskating, traveling, cooking, live music, volunteering, and good cheese also make me happy. I NEED money to be able to experience all of these things. If I was destitute, I would not have the time I need to do the things that make me happy because I''d be spending a lot of of my time just working to earn money.

Basically, the less money I need to worry about making, the more time I have to do the things that make me happy. And of course, the more money I have, the less I need to worry about making it. Therefore, money brings me the freedom to do the things that make me happy, so yes, money is important to me. Not for what it can buy in material things, but for what it buys in time.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Happiness is a state of MIND, not a commodity. You DECIDE to be happy or not, no THING makes you happy, at least not genuinely happy. Oh, we all get a thrill from what we can do with money, but it''s fleeting, and then we''re off for the next hit. In fact, every spiritual system I''m familiar with has warnings about equating money and things, with happiness. So I don''t see how anyone can think this, not really, unless they are just dismissing all the wisdom of the ages and virtually every culture, out of hand.

Money can however, buy an awful lot of remarkable distraction from having to deal with your essential emptiness, or true aloneness, or with your mortality - yourself. But happiness? Nope. But that sure won''t stop people from trying. It''s why advertising is so successful. If you only buy (insert whatever) you will be happy/desired/powerful. Besides, happiness is overrated. No one would even know what it was without being UNhappy. Inner peace is better.

Money is important certainly - it represents security, power, choices, and for many people, love. But money is only a mental construct. One we''ve pretty much all agreed on, not a thing apart from our creation of it or our relationship with it. All I know is I try every day to choose not to internalize the attitude that my happiness comes from my circumstances. I''m not always successful, and often allow myself to be battered down by outer stuff - if it was easy, we''d all be blissed out and peaceful. But that struggle for inner peace that transcends outer conditions, is at the heart of most religions, isn''t it?

I was UNhappy from a horrible break up, and I stayed that way for too many years. Then I got cancer. That blasted me into the realization that I was CHOOSING to waste my life being unhappy. I made another choice. I chose peace - the belief that I would be OK and content no matter whether I was with someone or not - that my life was GOOD and to ACT like it. Money NEVER factored into any of that.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with what you just wrote, Ksinger, especially that we choose to be happy, or not.

However, if I had NO money, and I mean none, that would be an infintely more difficult choice for me to make than it is for me now as a person with my basic needs all met and cared for. I think many people here on PS have shared their experiences with poverty, and I must say that having no money makes life very, very difficult. It's hard to keep yourself healthy enough to work long enough to earn enough to feed yourself and protect yourself from the elements. Basic health is no longer a given. There is no time to build a fulfilling relationship because your time is consumed by your need to get some money, somehow. Ask any impoverished person in a nation that uses money whether money is important, and I imagine she would say "yes."

ETA: What I'm really trying to say is that it is a luxury to even be able to say (or think) that money isn't important to you.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/21/2010 9:12:27 PM
Author: ksinger

Happiness is a state of MIND, not a commodity. You DECIDE to be happy or not, no THING makes you happy, at least not genuinely happy. Oh, we all get a thrill from what we can do with money, but it's fleeting, and then we're off for the next hit. In fact, every spiritual system I'm familiar with has warnings about equating money and things, with happiness. So I don't see how anyone can think this, not really, unless they are just dismissing all the wisdom of the ages and virtually every culture, out of hand.

Money can however, buy an awful lot of remarkable distraction from having to deal with your essential emptiness, or true aloneness, or with your mortality - yourself. But happiness? Nope. But that sure won't stop people from trying. It's why advertising is so successful. If you only buy (insert whatever) you will be happy/desired/powerful. Besides, happiness is overrated. No one would even know what it was without being UNhappy. Inner peace is better.

Money is important certainly - it represents security, power, choices, and for many people, love. But money is only a mental construct. One we've pretty much all agreed on, not a thing apart from our creation of it or our relationship with it. All I know is I try every day to choose not to internalize the attitude that my happiness comes from my circumstances. I'm not always successful, and often allow myself to be battered down by outer stuff - if it was easy, we'd all be blissed out and peaceful. But that struggle for inner peace that transcends outer conditions, is at the heart of most religions, isn't it?

I was UNhappy from a horrible break up, and I stayed that way for too many years. Then I got cancer. That blasted me into the realization that I was CHOOSING to waste my life being unhappy. I made another choice. I chose peace - the belief that I would be OK and content no matter whether I was with someone or not - that my life was GOOD and to ACT like it. Money NEVER factored into any of that.

Thank you Ksinger. This is exactly how I feel.

In reality, happiness comes from within and depends on how you think about your life. No matter the external circumstances you have to chose to be happy and not let outside circumstances affect your inner peace and contentment.

This is a study that I found fascinating-
Researchers compared lottery winners to average people and to those who suffered accidents that rendered them paraplegic. The paraplegic people were happiest. Over time they developed a way of looking at the world that made them happy despite their difficult circumstances.

The key to true happiness is *choosing* to be happy as it *is* a choice. Making a habit of looking for the good in your life. Being generous towards others (not necessarily having anything at all to do with money btw). And doing what you enjoy and being with the people that I love. This is what brings *me* inner contentment and true happiness.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Just having a million dollars wouldn''t make me happy. Using that money to help others and do good things *would*.
i''d rather be rich and unhappy then sad and poor.
9.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Only people who have lots of money would say it is not important to them
2.gif
If you have ever been poor in your life, there is no question in your mind that money is very important.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/21/2010 7:02:23 PM
Author: Steal

Date: 6/21/2010 6:38:57 PM
Author: missy

Date: 6/21/2010 6:35:25 PM
Author: Dancing Fire
i''ll answer your Q when i have money.
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

Money is important but not as important as health and loved ones. The most important thing to me is our health (mine and the health of my loved ones). After that it is all gravy as far as I''m concerned. Nothing is insurmountable when you have your health. You can have all the money in the world and without your health (and the health of your loved ones) what good is it?

Money makes things easier but you cannot buy happiness.
I can''t tell you how much I disagree with this.

If it is not buying happiness then you are not spending it properly.
Research on happiness suggests that money and happiness are *very* strongly related up to a point. Once people reach the point of having their basic needs comfortably paid for -- food, shelter, healthcare, education -- then money and happiness become disassociated.

The income at which happiness and money part ways, though, is surprisingly low, around $30k US per year. Under that and happiness and money are linked, earn more than that and they are no longer linked. Still, earning more than that minimal level does not stop the perception that if only there was more money, then I would be happy. Fact is, its just not true.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/21/2010 9:20:01 PM
Author: Haven
I agree with what you just wrote, Ksinger, especially that we choose to be happy, or not.

However, if I had NO money, and I mean none, that would be an infintely more difficult choice for me to make than it is for me now as a person with my basic needs all met and cared for. I think many people here on PS have shared their experiences with poverty, and I must say that having no money makes life very, very difficult. It''s hard to keep yourself healthy enough to work long enough to earn enough to feed yourself and protect yourself from the elements. Basic health is no longer a given. There is no time to build a fulfilling relationship because your time is consumed by your need to get some money, somehow. Ask any impoverished person in a nation that uses money whether money is important, and I imagine she would say ''yes.''

ETA: What I''m really trying to say is that it is a luxury to even be able to say (or think) that money isn''t important to you.
Yep. It isn''t easy at all. I certainly never said money was unimportant, and the lack of money does indeed make life harder. Maslow was pretty clear on a few things. But as I said, money in and of itself creating happiness...or security....or love...or....you get the drift, is the mirage. Ask Jesus. Ask The Buddha. Of course, even most people that subscribe to those religions don''t actually act like they believe that. It''s probably THE hardest thing to do. But we''re all assured that some have done it, so it CAN be done, even if we choose not to.

Quite frankly, I''m not looking for happiness anymore. Equanimity in the face of life''s ups and downs is what I long for. They''re going to come, no matter how much I have. So what I want it to feel the sadness, to feel the joy, and to know that they are just waves on the surface. That nothing can touch the peace that underlies them both. That''s the trick, not being happy. When you change from wanting to be happy to wanting to be peaceful, endless "stuff" loses a lot of its luster. And no, I''m not there yet, but it is my goal, and I try to improve with every day....

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Love + Health + Money = Happiness

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/21/2010 10:02:23 PM

So what I want it to feel the sadness, to feel the joy, and to know that they are just waves on the surface. That nothing can touch the peace that underlies them both.
This is beautiful.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

agree!
36.gif
good reason to donate your $$$s to the DF diamond fund.
9.gif

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/21/2010 10:15:39 PM

agree!
36.gif
9.gif
Oh come on DF, you should still be able to get at least a couple thou from that run-down piece of crap Lange & Sohne of yours.
2.gif

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/21/2010 10:09:43 PM
Author: hlmr

So what I want it to feel the sadness, to feel the joy, and to know that they are just waves on the surface. That nothing can touch the peace that underlies them both.
This is beautiful.
I admit to being a closet philosopher at times.
4.gif

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/21/2010 10:23:35 PM

Date: 6/21/2010 10:09:43 PM
Author: hlmr

This is beautiful.
I admit to being a closet philosopher at times.
4.gif
I think you should consider coming out of the closet!
1.gif

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I HATE being poor. We live in a hell hole, I have to feel guilty about everything I buy, we can''t eat out, we never get to travel, etc. I am not talking a lavish lifestyle, but it would be nice if we didn''t feel like cooking to be able to get a pizza or Chinese, or live in a place that didn''t look exactly like the really cheap student housing that it is. Our first night we lived there someone broke in and took our laptops; apparently, it was our neighbor 3 doors down. I have always loved beautiful things, so it is hard for me, although antiques off craig''s list help.
However, I am working to be an archaeologist and my DH is hoping to be a writer, which is not exactly a sure thing, so I would say they easily top it. I made good money working for an insurance company. The work was boring, I delt with men whose egos were bigger than their d***s and their IQ and they worked us all the time because our future replacements in India kept screwing up. The commute was an hour each way. I am happier as I am, but I wish I could go to school and work in my hometown, which was nicer and had an amazing apartment for the same price as this POS.

The good news is, even though archaeology generally doesn''y pay well, I have gotten a lot of advice from one who runs her own firm and makes a killing. There is also always the chance DH will make the best seller list as well.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Add me to the list of people who feel that money gives you the freedom to do the things you love, but obvsiouly things like my husband, health, family, etc. are more important. I''ve been poor, but have never been rich. If I suddenly become rich I''ll have to report back to see which is better :)

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
I second those woh have never been poor don''t get why money is so important. I wanted to add about health, that largely, money=health. Gym memberships, healthier foods, good doctors, good meds all cost money.
Overall, wealthy American live 4.5 years longer than poor ones, but if you do it by county (poorest vs richest) the difference is 10 years. The obisity rates which are closely tied to quality of life, are also heavily skewed towards poorer. Breaking down the stats even further, Iran now has better health indicators than rural Mississippi, the poorest state. Or take infant mortality, for the wealthiest group, whites, it is 5.7 per 1,000, for blacks, the poorest (these are over all based on census data), it is 13.1. Being more than twice as likely to have my baby die wouldn''t make me happy.

There are new cancer drugs everyday, they costs 10s of thousands. Drugs that mostly effect the poor, like TB, are practically ignored.

It is always so rosy that no, there is so much more than money, but my education to do what I want with life, my ability to raise kids, my ability to take care of my health, my ability to marry a poor guy I loved rather than a rich one I liked all come from money, and not just a little.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/21/2010 10:20:25 PM

Date: 6/21/2010 10:15:39 PM

agree!
36.gif
9.gif
Oh come on DF, you should still be able to get at least a couple thou from that run-down piece of crap Lange & Sohne of yours.
2.gif
oh come on Karen,imagine all the good karmas that will be heading your way after you put a big smile on DF''s face.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, it buys food, shelter etc.

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock
Yes, money is important to me but family would come above money. Then my health would be next on the list since if you have poor healthy, there goes any enjoyment you can have with money.

katamari

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/21/2010 11:10:20 PM
Author: brazen_irish_hussy
Overall, wealthy American live 4.5 years longer than poor ones, but if you do it by county (poorest vs richest) the difference is 10 years.

These inequalities are incredibly pronounced. The UN Statistics Division recently updated their numbers, and they show a difference of nearly 40 years between men in Zimbabwe (the lowest expectancy, at 43) and women in several western countries where they expectancy was 85. That is almost twice as much life! And, that number captures nothing about the amount of healthy versus unhealthy life.

To address the question, yes, money is important to me and, I believe everyone. There is a world of difference between unadulterated greed and realizing the importance of resources.

hihowareyou

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Yes money is important to me. It makes staying warm, finding nutrition, staying healthy, etc all very much easier.

I try not to let money become more important than the things that it can bring me though. E.g, the food that I buy is more important to me than the money I buy it with.

Less important to me than money would be people knowing that I have money. I used to want desperately for other people to see me as successful, now I''m happy to see myself as successful :)

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Time is more important that money, love is more important than money, people are more important than money, health is more important than money, actually almost everything is more important than money. Money for money's sake is a total waste. The only thing it really has going for it is buying potential and it isn't until you actualized that potential that it truly has value. Money alone is absolutely worthless to me.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium

What we really need to do here is to think about what money IS. Money is really only a representation of something. As I said, an agreed upon mental construct. We allow ourselves to attach great significance to it, (just look how much emotion is here in this very thread, and no one is even arguing!) - far more than being a convenient, portable, agreed upon store of value. At one time, prosperity - having money - was considered evidence of one''s election for salvation by God. And we''re still prone to think that people without money are actually WORTH less than someone with it - as evidenced by the comments here where people want to be "seen" as successful, and of course the easiest, most visble announcement of that is how much money you have. Money also gets us respect, even unearned. People without money, die, and most of us don''t think too much about it: Oh well, if you dont'' have money.... These are just a few of the attitudes that all of us have internalized, whether we admit it or not. Most of us would say "Oh no, not true." But most of us ACT differently. The real question is why we ALLOW such wild inequities in our HEADS. Heck no, nobody wants to be poor, because we all understand on some level, that along with being poor comes our culture''s assessment that WE are worth LESS. So I would say that money is still being used as proof of election, even if it isn''t divine election.

Of course "poor" (at least in the US where "poor" has a meaning that usually doesn''t include dying in the street from malnutrition and non-existent sanitation) is pretty much a state of mind too. I was sheltered from the fact that, technically speaking - by most economic indicators, I was "poor" growing up. I didn''t know it, and so didn''t ACT it. I only found out much later, how on the edge we always were, and how it stressed my mom. But she never acted "poor" and she had even been poor as a child, at least after her father died and left their mom to finish raising 4 of the 6 children alone.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Yes, money is important to me to the extent that I need food, clothing, shelter and some comforts for myself and my family. Beyond that? Not so much.

I''ve been very, very poor at times in my life and might be again, who knows? As long as there is just enough for the basics, and my family and friends are safe and healthy, then I''m happy. Very happy. Money doesn''t have a prominent starring role in my life. I don''t think about it, plan over it, plot to save it or derive status, pleasure or self esteem from it. I grew up with a father to whom money was all important - not the amount he had per se, but how he looked after it. Taking care of ever penny had a prominent role in his life, thoughts and actions. I think I rebelled against that.

I suppose that it is easier for me to say that since I live in an area where excellent quality health care and education up to post graduate level is free at the point of delivery. Social security benefits are available as a last resort, so I know I''m unlikely to starve. I also live in an area where there are a lot of folks with very little disposable income, where great wealth is not the norm. My group of friends varies from fairly wealthy to basic survival income level and we''re all pretty happy with our lives.

My only hard and fast money rule is no credit and no debt. I don''t ever want to worry about money I owe. Then it would be important, something I don''t want.

Jen

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results