shape
carat
color
clarity

is it worth it to get gem pieces appraised?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cleokizzy

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone. As I continue to build my jewelry collection, I began to think if I should get them appraised so I can "document" it somehow. I know for diamonds that it''s ok to get it appraised and certified. But how about the other stone pieces?

I don''t know if anyone has done this but I would like to know your opinion.

thanks!

-cleokizzy

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
That depends on a few things.

1. How big is the purchase, and how would it impact you financially if you had to replace it? If the stone is a $400 stone and you could absorb a $400 misstep, it may not be worth it. If your stone is a $1K or $3k gemstone and you''d be hard-pressed to absorb that kind of a loss if the stone turned out to be other than expected, then an appraisal would be a good idea.

2. Do you think you may resell them later? If so, the documentation may make them more appealing to conservative buyers.

3. Is your collection getting substantial enough that you should insure it? If so, the documentation will help you prove what your value is in the event of loss.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results