shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it worth a 2 hour drive to see this Pear? GIA attached

crocop

Rough_Rock
I am interested in purchasing one of these 2 diamonds from JA, but a local jeweler suggested I go with him and he can "price match" any JA diamonds.

These are the 2 from JA: (the attached ASET is for diamond A...diamond B has no ASET available)

a) https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/1.01-carat-h-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-1976860
$4500

b) https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/1.00-carat-e-color-vs2-clarity-sku-2130848
$4700

Still undecided on which of the 2 to get.

The jeweler sent me this GIA for another diamond and wants me to drive 2 hours to see it. Is it even worth my time? The depth scares me, as do some of the inclusions, which he says are eye clean.

Any idea?

thumbnail_3.jpg

Attachments

• pear_shape_inquiry_nov_2016.pdf
    598 KB · Views: 58

crocop

Rough_Rock
Re: Is it worth a 2 hour drive to see this Pear? GIA attache

anyone?

not sure if the GIA report is working, here are the specs (i have no pics of the diamond, just want to ensure its even worth checking out)

Carat: 1.03
color: F
Clarity: Vs2

Polish: Very good
Symm: Very good
Fulorenscence: non
Size: 9.32 x 5.90 x 3.17

Table: 55%
Depth 53.7% (this is what concerns me)

the clarity characteristics also show what looks like some twinning wisps and feathers.

Or should I just go with the JA pear.

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

you really cannot tell much about a fancy shape from a cert. Can he send you some *good* up close pics and maybe a video of the diamond?

crocop

Rough_Rock

farrahlyn|1478787294|4096317 said:
you really cannot tell much about a fancy shape from a cert. Can he send you some *good* up close pics and maybe a video of the diamond?

No, I would have to go an see it. From this site, under knowledge and pear diamonds, the depth of this stone is VERY off from the recommended depth (and I know all fancy cuts helps to be seen), but just trying to see if its worth my time or if the depth of 53% is a warning flag.

n64bomb

Rough_Rock
Trade

Even if your local store has some pear shaped diamonds in stock, it is very likely that they only have a limited number of them. Given the fact that close to 90% of fancy shaped diamonds are cut to poor proportions and have dismal light performance, the odds are stacked against you in finding one that is well-cut. Also, most stores would usually stock fancy cut diamonds of more than 1 carat in weight. If you have a smaller budget and cannot afford larger sized diamonds, tough luck. You are going back to square one.

Recommended Proportions for Pear Shaped Diamonds

Excellent Very Good Good Fair/Poor
Table % 57% – 62% 55% – 63% 53% – 64% Outside Ranges
Depth % 58% – 64% 56% – 67.5% 54% – 69% Outside Ranges
Polish/Symmetry Excellent – Very Good Good Outside Ranges
Length to Width 1.45 – 1.55 1.40 – 1.60 1.35 – 1.65 Outside Ranges
Girdle Thickness Thin – Thick V. Thin – Very Thick Outside Ranges
Culet Size None Very Small Small Outside Ranges

The table of ideal proportions above should be used as a reference only. Do take note that you cannot judge the appearance of a fancy cut diamond solely based on numbers alone. Physical inspection and the use of ASET to analyze optical performance is recommended. Also, the girdle thickness for pear shapes should be thicker near its tips to provide additional mechanical strength.

Don't try to buy a pear from a local vendor. You will get duped. The pear your "local vendor" wants to sell you is very low quality. Note how the gem your "local vendor" fairs in the proportions.

crocop

Rough_Rock

n64bomb|1478795082|4096384 said:
Even if your local store has some pear shaped diamonds in stock, it is very likely that they only have a limited number of them. Given the fact that close to 90% of fancy shaped diamonds are cut to poor proportions and have dismal light performance, the odds are stacked against you in finding one that is well-cut. Also, most stores would usually stock fancy cut diamonds of more than 1 carat in weight. If you have a smaller budget and cannot afford larger sized diamonds, tough luck. You are going back to square one.

Recommended Proportions for Pear Shaped Diamonds

Excellent Very Good Good Fair/Poor
Table % 57% – 62% 55% – 63% 53% – 64% Outside Ranges
Depth % 58% – 64% 56% – 67.5% 54% – 69% Outside Ranges
Polish/Symmetry Excellent – Very Good Good Outside Ranges
Length to Width 1.45 – 1.55 1.40 – 1.60 1.35 – 1.65 Outside Ranges
Girdle Thickness Thin – Thick V. Thin – Very Thick Outside Ranges
Culet Size None Very Small Small Outside Ranges

The table of ideal proportions above should be used as a reference only. Do take note that you cannot judge the appearance of a fancy cut diamond solely based on numbers alone. Physical inspection and the use of ASET to analyze optical performance is recommended. Also, the girdle thickness for pear shapes should be thicker near its tips to provide additional mechanical strength.

Don't try to buy a pear from a local vendor. You will get duped. The pear your "local vendor" wants to sell you is very low quality. Note how the gem your "local vendor" fairs in the proportions.

Thanks!

With that said, how does the diamond A above look that i picked?

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have never seen a jeweller who ask a customer to drive 2hr just to see a stone.
Why can he bring it to his store for you? Does he want to sell you the stone? He needs to bring it in.
2hr drive for a sub 5k stone??

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

No,I wouldn't go. If he cant send you a few pics, then I wouldn't do business with him.

Yes. You should see fancy cuts in person. However, for your reference, here is a "good aset" for a pear img_1704.jpg

tableland40

Rough_Rock

Diamond A is fairly warm (H) for a pear cut, so my question is how do you intend on setting it? If setting with pave stones/side stones, I'd recommend requesting warmer tones (I-G) for those pave/side stones.

I've attached an annotation of diamond A with two areas I'd focus on:

1. Pointy region comes across as a little "mushy" to me (or in other words, a little blurry/lacking the ability to see facets beneath the surface)

2. The bow tie effect is visible at a fairly non-acute angle, and perhaps could be more perceptible than other diamonds?

Changing those may increase the cost however, so you may need to accept these trade offs if you want to keep the current size/qualities.

Saying that, the diamond seems to have good symmetry, light return and scintillation.

1976860annotation.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results