shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it true that an NWT engraved stone with a certificate will demand 15% more?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

wistletown

Rough_Rock
Is it true a diamond engraved with an NorthWestTerritory number and also comes with certification of it''s origin will be worth an additional 15%?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2007 12:16:53 PM
Author:wistletown
Is it true a diamond engraved with an NorthWestTerritory number and also comes with certification of it''s origin will be worth an additional 15%?
I don''t know that it would be worth 15% more, but I''ve heard on here and from a B&M that the stones carry about a 15% premium.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If you are willing to pay extra, someone will be glad to take the money. If you resist paying more, it is likely that there is no real premium value. A diamond from any location is the same as any from another location in nearly every instance. There are efforts to market NWT diamonds for premium prices because of excellent cutting. Such a program does have merit, but excellent cut is the real issue, while origin is presently a popular theme.

kev_800

Shiny_Rock
I might also suggest to keep yourself away from the idea that this diamond (if its for an engagement ring) is an ''investment''

There is no ''good'' investment to my knowledge that you buy for full price and can only re-sell for ~30% of the value at a later time.

I''ve heard that conflict diamonds only amount to 1-2% of the total amount of diamonds released into circulation each year... the NWT marketing scheme is at least in part, to appease those who are looking for that assurance.

wistletown

Rough_Rock
I'm at such odds with this stone that I'm looking at. I can't find a better stone for that price. It seems signficantly undervalued.

$23,156
G color, VSI clarity
GIA certified
Comment notes NWTXXXX is engraved on the girdle
2.01 carats
table: 56.5
depth: 61.2
cutlet: none
fluorescence: none
girdle: thin to medium
cut: very good (there is a comment saying "cut grade was affecting because of brillanteering")
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Crown Angles: 34.5
Pavilion angles: 40.8
8.18mm X 8.21mm X 5.00mm

Looking at the NY Rapport Report, this diamond sells for $15,200 per carat. I know the prices on the report are on the high side but I have been using it as a guideline to know when a diamond is asking too high of a price. There is the comment about brillanteering but would that justify such a significance on the price?

Are there reasons why people prefer African diamonds over Canadian ones. I know there's much hype about blood diamonds right NOW but this will soon die down.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Generally, I would consider an Ideal Scope a MUST before sending 23K anywhere.

wistletown

Rough_Rock
The ring is through Blue Nile. They don''t offer Ideal Scopes like Whiteflash unfortunately.

However, they just called me and the Canandian Certificate is in. It took them 3 days or so.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not to be a fear-monger, but the brillianteering may have no noticeable effect, a positive effect, or a negative effect.

However, the price is good enough to take a chance on and you could send it to one of the rather renowned appraisers here for an expert opinion re: color/clarity/cut

CaptAubrey

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/7/2007 1:20:49 PM
Author: wistletown

Are there reasons why people prefer African diamonds over Canadian ones. I know there''s much hype about blood diamonds right NOW but this will soon die down.
I don''t think I''ve ever heard anyone express a preference for African over Canadian. Before conflict diamonds became an issue, and the Canadian mines came online, I don''t think anyone past the wholesale level gave a single thought to where their diamond was mined. Locality of origin for diamonds wasn''t an issue before the Canadian producers made it one.

And please--forget Rap. Consumers will just confuse themselves trying to use it, as you''re doing now.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/7/2007 12:16:53 PM
Author:wistletown
Is it true a diamond from Tiffany will be worth twice as much?

The answer is it is worth whatever you are prepared to pay for it.

You, not the vendor, are the factor of choice

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2007 1:20:49 PM
I''m at such odds with this stone that I''m looking at. I can''t find a better stone for that price. It seems signficantly undervalued.
Grab it. Somebody at Blue Nile must be asleep at the wheel.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
It does appear to be "bargained" priced.

However, you need to know more about the brillianteering comment.

Send it to a professional who is knowledgeable and experienced in checking painting and digging.

You might want to read the article that Brian Gavin wrote about this. Just use the search box on this site above with painting and digging to get to it.

In that the stone weighs 2.01 you want to make sure that there isn''t any uncessesary "fat" which resulted in the finished weight being over 2.00, which raises the per carat price. Probably best to understand how much - IF ANY "extra" weight was a result of negative/excessive painting or digging. Some painting "done right" is a plus, but not all.

Still it appears like a good stones as long as it isn''t negatively affected by any Painting or Digging.

Rockdoc

wistletown

Rough_Rock
Thank you for all your help!!!!!!!!!!

The girdle on this stone is thin to medium. I''m thinking unless it''s very thin or very thick, then we can have something to worry about with brillanteering.

wistletown

Rough_Rock
The Canadian Gov''t Certificate for this stone just got faxed to me for inspection. Indeed, all the paperwork for this Canadian stone is in order. I had posted previously about the possibility of not being able to get this certificate. I had to push hard for it. Some mentioned having the enscription NWTXXXX on the girdle meant nothing without the certificate so I am relieved to get it.

Last sticking point is the Brillanteering factor. Is this a BIG issue or it something along the lines where let''s say the diamond had a small cutlet but everything else was perfect, it would still be worth purchasing.

This is something that GIA just started doing and it took over 15 for them to finalize on a decision. This stone would have had an EXCELLENT CUT if not for the brillanteering factor. That to me doesnt sound so negative. I would think it''s better than buying a Very Good cut stone. ???? Comments?

BTW, buying a house was much easier...I never want to do this again...

wistletown

Rough_Rock
They had someone look at the stone internally and said one of the facets is not perfectly cut. She would not say painted or digging. Said it''s brillanteering.
~wistletown

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2007 2:36:40 PM
They had someone look at the stone internally and said one of the facets is not perfectly cut. She would not say painted or digging. Said it''s brillanteering.
~wistletown

If one of the facets isn''t perfectly cut, then I am wondering how it got an ex ex for polish and symmetry?????????

You could call GIA with the report number and ask them if they will explain the reason for the comment.

I would venture to say that 90 out of 100 gemologists, don''t understand painting and digging.......or even know about it.

For fun call some local guys and ask them. Ask them to explain it to you.

Rockdoc

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/7/2007 8:45:34 PM
Author: Richard Sherwood

Grab it. Somebody at Blue Nile must be asleep at the wheel.
Then have it looked at by an expert who knows what they are doing and who is working for you, not for the seller.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results