shape
carat
color
clarity

Is It transitional and is it rare?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really hate to use the word "rare" because it gets tossed around way too often. Yesterday I was in a pawn shop looking for old cuts and I saw this ring and thought the center looked old. Louped it and the diamond has no culet but does not have MRB faceting,

Some of the good folks in the antique forum thought it may be a transitional. These are the best pictures I have in the terrible store lighting. The stone is eye clean and pretty clear under a loupe, I'm guessing the color is somewhere in the I-K range. Just not sure if the absence of a culet makes this stone particularly special if it is a tranny.

I am not a fan of that setting at all so if I bought this it would just be for the diamond but not sure what is a reasonable price?

IMG_7171.JPG IMG_7172.JPG IMG_7174.JPG

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It is a less commonly found faceting style and "rare" only in that way. Rare in terms of an increased value does not apply to this style of cutting. Less common is a better descriptor than "rare" which usually implies heightened levels of demand and price for a scarce item.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much for the input @oldminer. They are asking $1350 for the ring, the transitional is .60 and another .20 for the other diamonds.

To me that is a little high because I'm really not loving the ring as a whole, then it becomes $1350 for the diamond minus whatever I could sell the setting for. It's probably not really a deal then since I would have to buy a setting.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As an entire ring, maybe, if you loved it. But if you don’t like it and would only end up for the center stone, I think it’s too much for a 0.6 in a pawn shop.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
A classic Transitional cut like Dreamer and Demelza’s Diamonds would be unmistakable. This one doesn’t have crisp, near perfect faceting. My Transitional doesn’t have a culet either, BTW. This diamond looks early modern brilliant ish. Eg later cut style. But it’s not a common cut style and not rare in the sense that people covet it. My two cents only.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is a less commonly found faceting style and "rare" only in that way. Rare in terms of an increased value does not apply to this style of cutting. Less common is a better descriptor than "rare" which usually implies heightened levels of demand and price for a scarce item.

Thank you.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @ringo865 and @LightBright I am definitely passing on it because I could get a very nice diamond for around the same amount from Ivy and Rose and know exactly what it is. As Ringo pointed out, too much for what it is.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @ringo865 and @LightBright I am definitely passing on it because I could get a very nice diamond for around the same amount from Ivy and Rose and know exactly what it is. As Ringo pointed out, too much for what it is.

I think that is a wise decision especially considering you do not like the setting and it would need a new home. You have such lovely taste.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Come back to show us your new find! Hope it scratches your itch (for a while)

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aw, thanks @Slick1, I kind of want to rescue all the old cuts I find in the pawn shops lol! I need to apply the same logic as pets...can't save them all.

@ringo865, I have a lot going on lately (Art Deco ring with a transitional diamond which was my birthday present and tiny .30 carat ideal cut that needs a new setting) so I don't think I'll have any new finds to share for a while. That's what my mouth says anyway!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results