shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it tacky....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
ok so do we think that just asking for money is tacky? or the whole entire idea of a registry?

Colleen

Speaking just for me, I think the entire idea of registry is tacky because that implies you're expecting gifts.

If people are afraid of giving duplicate gifts, please include a gift receipt.
2.gif

I think the registry is an accepted thing, but if it wasn't ingrained in tradition so that people expected it, it's tacky. The bottom line is that it's practical. I used to try to buy something unique and thoughtful. I really think people apprecitae getting things that they registered for. Thus, now I buy off the registration, but still think the idea is odd, but if that's what they appreciate, that's what matters.

I personally don't have an issue with the idea of a registry, per se......I find it pretty helpful to know what people might need/want.

What I DO find extremely tacky is 1) people who put where they are registered on their invites (or included somewhere in the mailed info) and 2) BITCHING when someone buys something not on the registry.

To my way of thinking, a registry's purpose is to provide *SUGGESTIONS* to people who would like a bit of guidance. It does not *obligate* them to buy what you ask for, and I've seen more brides than I can tell you griping because someone had the *gall* to buy them things not on their registries.

Gifts, in my opinion, are just that.....GIFTS. They are what the *givers* choose and should be accepted graciously.

The only way to do it and not be tacky is #1 - don't register for much. People will get exasperated trying to decide what to get you, and end up sticking money in a card. Believe me, I have done it. #2 - Register somewhere you shop a lot, for me it was Target, and get the giftcard on your registry. Then they are getting you a "giftcard" so it makes them feel better. Again, I have done it! #3 - Register at BB&B. They give cash returns on registry items. It is a hassle, but it is cash. Just don't register for stuff that "Aunt Patsy" would get you that she expects to see when she visits.

I know, this all lying, and deceitful, but if you really just want cash this is the only way to do it without "looking tacky".

Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP