shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it possible to get pretty prongs?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock

For a ring like this, do you have to just go with the ‘utilitarian hardware’ stock prongs that jewelers typically use?The little e-ring I got to go with my wedding ring a while back had very thin prongs when I got it, and although I actually love how thin the tips are because I like the almost “nonexistent” look!- I am getting nervous because I realize the danger to my diamond if they should break.I’d like to change to 4-prongs, but either way, it seems when you take it to a jeweler, they just have what I call “stock” prongs or heads that they install, which are okay but not particularly pretty.I like the swoopy, scoopy prongs such as on the Ritani rings, but is it possible to get nice prongs like that put on a ring like this?Please let me know what the options are for replacing a head like this on a ring like this.Thanks!

(I will post recent pics of my ring to show how worn the head is.)

thin prongs 3.jpg

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
ugh! Please excuse the filthy diamond!!!

thin prongs 6.jpg

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
another angle:
(and please excuse the fuzz; I thought I cleaned this before taking pics! yikes!)

thin prongs 2.jpg

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
This picture is actually from 2005 when I first got it.

a while back.JPG

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Just one more, although I think you get the idea. This picture is top-down, and although round isn''t my favorite shape, I love how the prongs are so thin that the roundness of the diamond is totally emphasized. But I know I need to replace these ASAP.

thin prongs 4.jpg

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Now I know it is probably a pipe-dream to get prongs as nice as those on a designer ring like Ritani, such as in this picture.

swoopy prongs.jpg

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
But is it possible to at least get something a little more curvy or less utilitarian than this type:

(And why do they sit the diamond up so high? I want it to sit as low as possible; at least as low as it does now.)

4prongTiffanysolitaire_white_side_E.jpg

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Here is another example of nice prongs. Ignore the side diamonds. And of course this is a completely different style of ring. But is it possible to get prongs for a ring like mine that have a gentle curve to them, like this?

curvy prongs.jpg

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m pretty sure that any vendor can make your ring with the prongs you want - BUT they won''t make something which won''t be safe for your diamond. As long as you let them advise you on the safety aspects I am sure you will get a gorgeous setting.
1.gif

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/17/2007 12:08:04 PM
Author: old-fashioned girl
But is it possible to at least get something a little more curvy or less utilitarian than this type:

(And why do they sit the diamond up so high? I want it to sit as low as possible; at least as low as it does now.)
Take a look at this thread about why a diamond is set up so high.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/simple-science-is-shallow-or-deep-better.44007/

The walmart ring about half way down the page is an example of a high setting. It lets more light into the pavilion to make poorly cut diamonds look better. Well cut diamonds look great in lower settings.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
my solitare was set with a similar head the first time around and we had it swapped for a more swoopy one.

here's the thread

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone for the replies so far! No time to type right now, but I just wanted to mention that I will just be getting a new head, but using the same shank, so it is not a completely new setting.

Jcrow, I will have to go through your thread; it looks like it will be very helpful!!

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/17/2007 4:03:57 PM
Author: zoebartlett
Hi,

I thought I''d show you this thread since it shows pictures of Mara''s friends'' ering. It has beautiful, swoopy prongs! If I was doing a solitaire, this is what I''d do. I can''t attach pictures, so here''s the thread. Hope this helps!

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/stunning-1-60-k-vs-aca-in-ritani-setting.47645/
Thanks! That does help - it is a good example of the kind of nicely shaped prongs I would like. Just hoping that it is possible to get such nice prongs put on an already-existing shank like mine.

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/17/2007 7:22:18 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Hi, OFG! I''d send it to WhiteFlash and let them redo the head. Take a look at Lynn B''s beautiful ring!

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/finally-gorgeous-new-fishtail-pave-set-from-wf.46129/
DS, thanks for that! I remember how gorgeous Lynn B''s ring was, and that is an excellent example of what I''m looking for. I will have to call WhiteFlash and see if they can make me prongs like that, even though they would not be creating the entire ring from scratch.

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/17/2007 11:24:40 PM
Author: jcrow
my solitare was set with a similar head the first time around and we had it swapped for a more swoopy one.

here''s the thread
jcrow, thanks so much! That was very helpful, and your ring looks fabulous. I love how the new prongs look on your ring. Those before and after pics are very helpful for showing what I like vs. what I don''t want.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results