shape
carat
color
clarity

is it o.k.?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

l0mp012

Rough_Rock
just bought a 1.76 carat, I, VS1, round brilliant stone. the table is 63% and the total depth is 59.9. don't know the crown and pavillion angles, but the stone looks great. measurememts: 7.84 - 7.94 x 4.70mm. culet - none, flourescence - faint. polish and symmetry both very good.my concern is that the girdle is listed on the GIA cert as extremely thin to slightly thick!i totally trust this jeweler and the stone did not chip when it was set. my question is, should i be very concerned about the girdle? or does GIA sometimes exxagerate? i really don't think my guy would sell me a crappy stone?! maybe i'm wrong... it is set in a tiffany setting. cost for the stone was $11,000any thoughts/comments/suggestion would be greatly appreciated wheras i have about 2 weeks before i give the ring...thanks!j

l0mp012

Rough_Rock
thanks for your responses! in terms of value - do you thnk i overpaid? if all the other charachteristics are good, how much does the girdle effect the value/ cut grading of the stone?how would i insure the diamond?thanks again!j

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
[FONT=Verdana,]quote:[/FONT]
Originally posted by l0mp012:
how would i insure the diamond?thanks again!

You can insure your ring by putting it on your homeowner's or renter's policy, but make sure you get a separate rider for it. If you just place it with your regular policy, there will likely be a $1,000 coverage limit on all of the jewelry.You can insure your ring through Jeweler's Mutual which is an insurance company to which some jewelers subscribe.Both of these types of policies are generally replacement type, whereby, if you have a loss, they have the right to replace your diamond and ring with something of what they consider to be like kind.An excellent policy can be had with Chubb insurance co. They offer an agreed value policy and will give you the cash value on your appraisal if you have a loss. That way you get the full amount to spend and can choose what you want instead of what the insurance company deems to be appropriate.
www.chubb.com The cost depends on where you live. Where I live, Chubb was actually much cheaper than my homeowner's or Jeweler's Mutual and I got a much better policy. In some areas, Chubb would have cost a lot more.You never think you'll lose your ring, but I did after 9 1/2 years. One knock the right way and many diamonds will break. Better safe than sorry.Get a good appraisal for replacement value (not overvalued as your premiums are based on the value) and update it every 2-3 years.
smile.gif

l0mp012

Rough_Rock
thank you all for the advice...i will look into insuring it...anyone have any thoughts on if i overpaid?
(see my 1st post)
thanks!j

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
l0mp012,Extremely thin girdle won't affect beauty of the diamond - only durability. Usually extremely thin girdle is a negative factor and you might want to show the stone to an expert for the second opinion.

l0mp012

Rough_Rock
actually the depth is 59.6, oops!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results