shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it me or are OEC's more expensive than MRB's now?

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
I don't think this is very well cut but here's an option..

Screenshot_20210308-035344_Instagram.jpg

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
thanks @maryjane04 ! I need 3+ and this one definitely looks dead in the middle.

But keep the suggestions coming. I really appreciate it!

Moonie

Shiny_Rock
@Rfisher if only patience was my strong point!

I went to get the 4.72 “M” today to evaluate. Left empty handed.

E446D4F7-6262-4675-8A2D-2669BBFECAEC.jpeg

Did it end up being too warm? While old cuts look much whiter face-up I'm not sure if the same applies when graded from the side or face down like GIA. I took my M OEC took a jewelry store to look at some bands and they said it looks like an I color face-up, but I can see tint if I'm looking from the side.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Did it end up being too warm? While old cuts look much whiter face-up I'm not sure if the same applies when graded from the side or face down like GIA. I took my M OEC took a jewelry store to look at some bands and they said it looks like an I color face-up, but I can see tint if I'm looking from the side.

It faces up whiter for sure.

This is one of the oldest jewelry stores in Boston. They graded it themselves and are selling it as an M VS2. When we looked at the stone next to a GIA graded J and N, it was clearly not an M. It was darker than the N!

And even with the proof in front of their eyes, they said they would charge the same price for it even though it was not an M. I felt deceived and disappointed.

Aurora26

Shiny_Rock
Have you reached out to Ari from Single Stone to see what he has for loose stones? They work with M. Flynn in the South End and I believe they could ship some out for you to see in person. I didn't take them up on this offer since I already found my stone but always remembered this as an option.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Have you reached out to Ari from Single Stone to see what he has for loose stones? They work with M. Flynn in the South End and I believe they could ship some out for you to see in person. I didn't take them up on this offer since I already found my stone but always remembered this as an option.

@Aurora26 no I haven't. I will right now. It's worth a shot! Thanks!

Do you think he would be interested in just selling a stone?

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock

Aurora26

Shiny_Rock
:DThat's because you already have your OEC beauty!

She's definitely a character! You'll find yours soon enough and you'll know the patience paid off.

Moonie

Shiny_Rock
It faces up whiter for sure.

This is one of the oldest jewelry stores in Boston. They graded it themselves and are selling it as an M VS2. When we looked at the stone next to a GIA graded J and N, it was clearly not an M. It was darker than the N!

And even with the proof in front of their eyes, they said they would charge the same price for it even though it was not an M. I felt deceived and disappointed.

Oh no, sorry to hear about this experience :( Sounds like you did your due diligence though. You should hold out for your perfect OEC!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
I'm trying to be patient...it's like waiting for Prince Charming or something!:loopy:

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not sure what your actual budget is but from the general consensus of examples that you've posted finding a well cut, 10mm, J or higher color with eye clean clarity OEC in your budget is going to be worse than finding a needle in a hay stack. I think one of two things needs to happen. Either increase your budget, or give up on one of your other C's. Ct weight or color. I don't think you want to loose on finger coverage so color seems to be the best choice. Something's gotta give here. Even vendors are having a hard time finding old cuts and they know the ins and outs of the trade.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
@springday you’re right the supply is dry right now.

I think for my budget I should be able to get a 3.5 ct J/K/L/M that is eye clean. If I felt like a needed an I then would have gone for the Jewels by Whitney stone. The G and I’s OECs that I have seen IRL just didn’t have enough visual richness to me. I think a little color is necessary to get the rainbow fire I’m looking for.

Clarity is where I have the most flexibility. Cut actually seems the most elusive. I do want a stone that is decently cut.

I can’t say with certainty, but I have a feeling that more stones are going to enter the market soon. A couple dealers I have talked to are waiting for stones to come back from GIA.

The bottomline that that I’m somewhat flexible but I’m not willing to settle or overpay.

And I am learning so much about what makes a good OEC stone! The process is frustrating at times but definitely educational for a newbie like me.

Last edited:

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
Does anyone have $55k lying around? Please buy this 6 ct L SI1 so I can stop dreaming about it!

50D26972-FD85-48DE-9CA3-344EAF5156D2.jpeg

lol I can't say no if someone presented that to me :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results