shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it big enough?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

angeline

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/19/2007 4:53:59 PM
Author: Joolskie
You have planned a wonderful, romantic proposal with a gorgeous stone and setting.

12 years ago, my husband proposed on the pier where he first said he loved me. I am still wearing the half-carat (.51 D SI2) RB he gave me that day. I have never thought gee, if only my diamond had been bigger. But I have often thought about that moment when he got down on one knee on that pier and asked me to be his wife.

1.gif

You did good... she is a lucky girl!

Joolskie did you see my post above? 10 years ago my hubby did too! 0.3ct! jetty! (pier) I got shivers reading your post.
1.gif
35.gif
Oh and out jetty was right by where we had our first date.

a

jdneal22

Rough_Rock
Well, I''ve listened very carefully over the past year as I had to hear about how everyone else was buying houses, having babies, getting married or engaged. Did the mall jewelry store shopping to get ideas. And Vegas is an annual vacation. We both love the fountain show...and I remember her saying should thinks it would be perfect to be proposed to there. that was about 4 years ago. There is also a song that plays for the fountain show called " con de partiro" or "time to say goodbye" by sarah brightman and andrea boccelli. It sounds like an odd title, but she cries everytime she hears it and it''s not even in english. She just loves it. So i made dinner reservations a little before the time the song is scheduled ot play. Hope it goes as smooth as planned...

whatmeworry

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/19/2007 9:08:54 PM
Author: jdneal22
Well, I''ve listened very carefully over the past year as I had to hear about how everyone else was buying houses, having babies, getting married or engaged. Did the mall jewelry store shopping to get ideas. And Vegas is an annual vacation. We both love the fountain show...and I remember her saying should thinks it would be perfect to be proposed to there. that was about 4 years ago. There is also a song that plays for the fountain show called '' con de partiro'' or ''time to say goodbye'' by sarah brightman and andrea boccelli. It sounds like an odd title, but she cries everytime she hears it and it''s not even in english. She just loves it. So i made dinner reservations a little before the time the song is scheduled ot play. Hope it goes as smooth as planned...
Good man. Good luck!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m going to be truthful so you are not caught completely unawares that some women do have certain expectations (hopes really) of a certain size diamond when getting engaged, which is often influenced by one''s circle of friends, family, peer pressure, geographic location. Others couldn''t care less about the ring and are just waiting to hear the words "will you marry me?" I have no idea where she falls along that spectrum. It''s the same thing where some women have fantasies since little of what type of wedding dress they will wear while others get married in a sundress. It sounds like you have been listening and hopefully she would have tipped you off if she had particular strong feelings.
Personally it sounds like a beautiful ring, and a wonderful proposal plan. It will be exciting to hear how it goes!

Date: 7/19/2007 9:08:54 PM
Well, I''ve listened very carefully over the past year as I had to hear about how everyone else was buying houses, having babies, getting married or engaged. Did the mall jewelry store shopping to get ideas. And Vegas is an annual vacation. We both love the fountain show...and I remember her saying should thinks it would be perfect to be proposed to there. that was about 4 years ago. There is also a song that plays for the fountain show called '' con de partiro'' or ''time to say goodbye'' by sarah brightman and andrea boccelli. It sounds like an odd title, but she cries everytime she hears it and it''s not even in english. She just loves it. So i made dinner reservations a little before the time the song is scheduled ot play. Hope it goes as smooth as planned...

smmmmooooth

dod

Rough_Rock
Date: 7/18/2007 10:02:20 PM
Thank you for all of the responses. I have about 12 days before we leave for Vegas. I am going to do it at an outdoor restaurant overlooking the fountain show. The confidence factor, knowing the ring is not going to be just some ordinary ring will help me when I do it. Anyone familiar with Vatche and the Superbcert Diamonds? I have read thier testimonials...just curious if anyone here can fill me in on thier quality. Asking her will be the easy question...I still don''t know how to approach her dad to ask him for his daughters hand... Again, thanks for all of the advice...the more th ebetter.
33.gif
34.gif
I hate to tell you, but that particular question will be alot tougher to ask than you might think. You''ll be remembering this about two hours before your reservation. Talk about one dry throat!

dod

jdneal22

Rough_Rock
Well...let me make this short. Her Father has very high expectations. For our first two years together we had to sneak to date eachother. He owns two businesses, has 14 properties...he''s a millionaire. Me, I grew up poor, in the badlands...etc. After finally metting him face-to-face to ask him if I could date his daughter without having to sneak around, he had a different approach. Within two years of that meeting I was managing his restaurants and vacationing with him regularly. I still have doubts about his confidence in me to provide for her. I have never let him down, never proved him right about his assumptions. However, this is his daughter. I have to ask mom seperately, since they have been divorced for 20 years. My goal is to open my own sports bar in the next few years...right now I work three jobs. I pay all of the bills so that she can do what she likes with her money. She''s a teacher.

The only reason I say it will be harder to ask him...I think his expectations of me may be higher. Just because he wants his daughter to have everything he was able to provide her with. And I want nothing more than to do that. But they are big shoes to fill. Her, she''s content with how I provide...we are very happy. But I always want to do more...

So that''s as short as I could make it...And not taking anything away from asking her, because it will be a very special and exciting time. And I expect to be nervous. But I am confident.

And with all of the good words here, I am even more confident than I was about the ring.
emteeth.gif

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
jdneal

I am sure that the diamond you have bought is big enough, I am also of the opinion that her father who knows your financial position and your goals for money in the future, would think it is far more sensible to be getting engaged with this diamond than a multi-thousand dollar diamond. He will see this as good business/financial/practical sense. The diamond you have bought is in no way small. It is the symbol of your engagement. As her father is so rich if she wanted a huge diamond no doubt he would buy one for her sometime maybe for her 30th birthday or so.

When you have done well with your business goals you can always buy her a larger stone too.

jdneal22

Rough_Rock
Point very well made. Thanks pyramid.

jdneal22

Rough_Rock
Everyone loves the ring and the stone...but said I could have gone with white gold instead and gotten a bigger diamond...

MWG

Brilliant_Rock
I agree.....you picked a great ring, but most importantly, pick the right girl......

MWG

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/20/2007 10:00:27 AM
Everyone loves the ring and the stone...but said I could have gone with white gold instead and gotten a bigger diamond...
Call me a sentimentalist...
30.gif

From your posts I don''t think she would care about the ring being small or not. You honestly sound so sincere and that you love her very much and the fact that she could likely have dated anyone with more money, but chose you, says that she loves you, and doesn''t need the money. As a teacher to have a big offensive ring, I feel it''s a bit inappropriate. What you bought is tatseful, classic and very fitting of your girlfirend. She is very lucky to have someone who will work 3 jobs just to make sure she is not just taken care of, but that she can just enjoy her money without worry. What she got was a lot more than just a pretty spectacular ring, to me that''s the icing on the cake!

Good luck and remember when asking, speak from the heart. That is what makes it the most memorable. All the best to you both! Please post what happens!!!
36.gif

jdneal22

Rough_Rock
Well, thank you very much for your words. They are very re-assuring. And I will definitely post my results and final pictures of the ring. You guys have been very helpful in making this a little easier for me. And I will gladly take more advice and comments about the diamond size, the ring, the proposal idea, asking dad, etc. etc...

I have about 11 days left...
emteeth.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/20/2007 7:46:57 AM
Well...let me make this short. Her Father has very high expectations. For our first two years together we had to sneak to date eachother. He owns two businesses, has 14 properties...he's a millionaire. Me, I grew up poor, in the badlands...etc. After finally metting him face-to-face to ask him if I could date his daughter without having to sneak around, he had a different approach. Within two years of that meeting I was managing his restaurants and vacationing with him regularly. I still have doubts about his confidence in me to provide for her. I have never let him down, never proved him right about his assumptions. However, this is his daughter. I have to ask mom seperately, since they have been divorced for 20 years. My goal is to open my own sports bar in the next few years...right now I work three jobs. I pay all of the bills so that she can do what she likes with her money. She's a teacher.
My gut reaction to this post was, if he didn't like you (and feel you were worthy of his daughter), he wouldn't want you around, wouldn't have you vacation with him, and he wouldn't have you working for him.

I think you're gonna be in like Flynn.
2.gif

jdneal22

Rough_Rock
Thanks Ellen. I just want to know he is confident in my ability to care for his daughter, and that she will not have to change the lifestyle she is used to with him just because I am not as financially set as her father. She knows she doesn''t...I''ll work 10 jobs to make sure she can enjoy the life she is used to...as she would do the same, if I''d let her. Again, I just want to know he has faith and confidence in my word...

Him trusting me to run his business is one thing. trusting me with his daughter is another.

in like flynn...i like it!
emteeth.gif

I think so too...

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
You are giving her a beautiful ring and planning a special heartfelt proposal. What woman would not be thrilled with that?

jdneal22

Rough_Rock
Sun,

I don''t think she will be disappointed. but just as I want to be confident her dad has faith in me. I want to know it is EXACTLY what she wanted. because I don''t think she would ever tell me...

jdneal22

Rough_Rock
cont... if it wasn''t

lizardofaz

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/20/2007 7:46:57 AM
Well...let me make this short. Her Father has very high expectations. For our first two years together we had to sneak to date eachother. He owns two businesses, has 14 properties...he''s a millionaire. Me, I grew up poor, in the badlands...etc. After finally metting him face-to-face to ask him if I could date his daughter without having to sneak around, he had a different approach. Within two years of that meeting I was managing his restaurants and vacationing with him regularly. I still have doubts about his confidence in me to provide for her. I have never let him down, never proved him right about his assumptions. However, this is his daughter. I have to ask mom seperately, since they have been divorced for 20 years. My goal is to open my own sports bar in the next few years...right now I work three jobs. I pay all of the bills so that she can do what she likes with her money. She''s a teacher.

The only reason I say it will be harder to ask him...I think his expectations of me may be higher. Just because he wants his daughter to have everything he was able to provide her with. And I want nothing more than to do that. But they are big shoes to fill. Her, she''s content with how I provide...we are very happy. But I always want to do more...

So that''s as short as I could make it...And not taking anything away from asking her, because it will be a very special and exciting time. And I expect to be nervous. But I am confident.

And with all of the good words here, I am even more confident than I was about the ring.
emteeth.gif
For what it''s worth, did her father start his businesses from the ground up? If so, I''m sure he will appreciate your hard work ethic (3 jobs!) and admire your entrepreneurial spirit.

jdneal22

Rough_Rock
he did. and they are both very successful. I hope he sees it that why, he is just hard to please. I think I can do it though....

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good luck with your proposal Joh, she is going to love it! Quality over quantity, that is my moto...you sound like a quality guy with a quality ring! Don''t forget to post the handshots once your romantic proposal is behind you!

jdneal22

Rough_Rock
thanks dana, will do. After eceryones'' great words and advice...i am obligated and pleased to post photos...

rocks&purses

Shiny_Rock
Awwwwww...that is soooooo sweet. She is one lucky girl. You did a great job so don''t second guess yourself.

rocks&purses

Shiny_Rock
"he did. and they are both very successful. I hope he sees it that why, he is just hard to please. I think I can do it though.... "
John

You are marrying his daughter, not him. As long as she is happy with you, that's all that matters. It's nice that you are doing everything possible to please him, but don't let him dictate the way you want to live your life. He can serve as a good motivating factor, but not as the central factor. I think you are trying too hard to please him, JMHO. Sounds like you have a good head on your shoulder so you can feel confident about yourself. You can't live your life always thinking "is this good enough for him". You need to live your life for yourself, your future wife and family, the way you see it best. This is JMO. Best of luck!

yea, and my new .61ct finally came in. I am going to post some pics later about the craftsman ship and make sure its up to par, I had a couple question. But I have to tell you, it is really quite sizable, much better looking than when it was loose.

Don''t worry, diamonds are one of those things that can almost always be just a little bigger. But in fact, f .61 is really TOO small for her to be happy, she would just be crazy and a **** which I am sure isn''t the case. So looking at it and comparing it to alot of other 1ct+ .50 and .30 pointers, it is def large enough to make a very beautiful ring in and of itself. No worries mate:)

jdneal22

Rough_Rock
Thanks guys! congrats on the .61ct!!! I am slowly beggining to take the motivation factor and go from there. I am getting better at pleasing her and I rather than try to please him. He is a great guy though. I just wanted to mention that too!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
John, when guys come on here before ring shopping to ask for advice, we always tell him to find out what size diamonds her sisters and best friends have. Those will be the rings that hers will be compared with. I hope you are already aware of this, and if theirs are around the same size, then I think you''ll be fine. I assume she indicated that she wanted a princess cut stone? I will say that Vatche makes a very fine quality setting and I am certain that the ring will be beautiful! Does superbcert allow full value of the diamond towards an upgrade in the future if you wanted to get her a larger stone for an anniversary?

You sound like a terrific guy and a very hard worker. But I do want to advise you that she probably wants you more than she wants the money from you working 3 jobs. Tell future father-in-law that you need a pay raise so you don''t have to work 3 jobs!
2.gif
Just kidding. But seriously, I don''t see how she''ll be happy if you are never home. Don''t even try to measure your success against what her dad has done. That''s not fair to you.

jdneal22

Rough_Rock
Thanks diamond. They are some good words of advice. I am trying to be myself, and not her father. But i still want to be able to provide for her like her father was able to. I don''t want her to have to change her lifestyle because of my financial status. I think in the long run everything will even itself out. I will have earned the trust of her father and will be able to provid elike he has..

jdneal22

Rough_Rock
Him and i get along. He just would be more comfortable knowing she had rich guy. He has grown to learn the I love her more than any guy with any amount of dollars. And my motivation and determination aill allow me to provide for her, and our family. This went from a blog about diamond size...to a dr. phil post. But it is a good thing to get a broad view of opinions on all of this. Thanks.
emteeth.gif

jdneal22

Rough_Rock
I''ll find out tomorrow whether i have to drive from philly to nyc to pick up this diamond or if they can deliver it to me in time!!!!!!!!!
emthup.gif
emthdown.gif
face10.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results