shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it bad to start your (manual) car in 2nd?

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1308762411|2952057 said:
Thanks danny! That makes sense re. brake.

My friend and I have a date for next Wednesday. He's sent me a bunch of stuff to read first - hopefully aimed at the beginner, he's a total car nut so we shall see!

Why wouldn't you want to drive a non-automatic today?

Well, it's a lot to think about- you're using your left foot and your right hand in ways you don't with an automatic- and then add traffic and mountain roads where I live- I can drive a manual but I like my humble automatic Honda. :tongue:

I'll admit the manual in the truck was great (a small Ford). I wouldn't want an automatic if I had a truck. :))

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fly Girl - Hmm... I always drove pretty placidly, I was never one to zoom out of stops and stomp the brakes at the next light, so that's good - one less habit to break ;)) There are plenty of drivers who don't espouse that particular philosophy though, that's for sure!

I see what you are saying Danny - it is a lot to think about, I am much more aware of my driving, the car, the road - it is quite frightening actually, to see how unaware I used to be regarding how the engine sounds, whether or not there is an incline at the traffic light...

geisha_gyrl

Shiny_Rock
Yssie,

I just had to laugh at this....Oh I remember the days of learning to drive a stick. It does get easier and quicker than you think. My last 3 cars have been manual. I love it except when I'm sitting in Atlanta's rush hour. It feels like I never get out of first! Adding the cramp in my left calf....GRRR.

Like the previous advice, if you shift at lower mph, there's less jerk. I usually shift at 3,000 rpm or lower. With the exception of my speed racer moments. :devil: I don't have many of those with these astronomical fines.

Be safe and have fun feeling that control ...you'll be a pro in no time.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
geisha_gyrl|1309320331|2957667 said:
Yssie,

I just had to laugh at this....Oh I remember the days of learning to drive a stick. It does get easier and quicker than you think. My last 3 cars have been manual. I love it except when I'm sitting in Atlanta's rush hour. It feels like I never get out of first! Adding the cramp in my left calf....GRRR.

Like the previous advice, if you shift at lower mph, there's less jerk. I usually shift at 3,000 rpm or lower. With the exception of my speed racer moments. :devil: I don't have many of those with these astronomical fines.

Be safe and have fun feeling that control ...you'll be a pro in no time.

Thanks geisha :halo:

I've been starting in first every. single. time. It is a real PITA.
But if I'm careful not to jerk off the last bit of the clutch it really helps with the jerking.
Well, obviously :rolleyes:

One day it will feel smooth and natural.. one day! Hopefully sooner rather than later. Driving a stick is definitely a power trip ::)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results