shape
carat
color
clarity

Is imitation the sincerest form of flattery?

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
VapidLapid|1309534678|2959920 said:
I think Jeff would be rightly P***ed at the implication that he now should not cut cushion aquas for other PS members. And the X number of lurkers who contacted him for the same after seeing one here who ARE copying are getting off scott free. I think this entire discussion is sillier than putty.

I truly don't think there was any implication from Faegrace that no one should ever contact Jeff for a cushion cut aqua--that's actually kind of insulting to her, I think. I suspect--again, only based on the timing--that what she was upset about was a PS'er posting on Faegrace's own thread, where she was asking for setting help for JW aqua that was supposed to be a celebration of Faegrace having survived cancer, that the PS'er had just commissioned a larger aqua in the same cut from the same vendor. That's it. I also think that some people will understand that reaction, and others will find it silly beyond words to be "so sensitive," but that's what I think started this thread.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Aoife|1309536122|2959936 said:
I think Jeff would be rightly P***ed at the implication that he now should not cut cushion aquas for other PS members. And the X number of lurkers who contacted him for the same after seeing one here who ARE copying are getting off scott free. I think this entire discussion is sillier than putty.

I truly don't think there was any implication from Faegrace that no one should ever contact Jeff for a cushion cut aqua--that's actually kind of insulting to her, I think. I suspect--again, only based on the timing--that what she was upset about was a PS'er posting on Faegrace's own thread, where she was asking for setting help for JW aqua that was supposed to be a celebration of Faegrace having survived cancer, that the PS'er had just commissioned a larger aqua in the same cut from the same vendor. That's it. I also think that some people will understand that reaction, and others will find it silly beyond words to be "so sensitive," but that's what I think started this thread.

Having gone and looked at the thread that you referenced I think you are probably right.

I don't think anyone would ever suggest certain things shouldn't be done ever again, but I think that perhaps people need to be more sensitive and tactful towards others (says the person who suffers greatly from pedodentology)

My take on the subject in general was that taking elements from different designs is totally okay in my book - ie lots of people love the Leon double claw prongs - it's putting all the elements together to create an exact copy that would annoy people.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Aoife|1309536122|2959936 said:

Exactly this. BrightIce clearly remembers the post fae made about her cancer - she recalled when it was made - and she was trying to share her excitement over also getting an aqua. But I think what made fae upset (and I'm speculating here, I don't know her personally) is that there was the added bit about, "Oh, but mine will be bigger." Fae obviously had to save for a LONG time to get her smaller stone and it meant a lot to her, so having someone come in and make big about how much larger HER stone would be, wounded her pride.

No one can predict how they will react to something until it happens, and whether anyone thinks it was silly or not, that is how fae felt. Her feelings should not be belittled, and I doubt BrightIce meant any harm by it.

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
I think this thread is done, those that have left, have, and those that have stayed can speak for themselves. The last two pages, too many people are speaking for too many others. Perhaps it is better for us all to think what we think in this instance, and just carry on in other threads before more people get hurt unintentionally.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I absolutely meant no harm at all and I did not realize that my statement of being bigger would make anyone feel any way. I was just simply stating what JW said the rough would most likely cut.

I am in the healthcare field and I certainly have praise for Faegrace's situation. I see now that I must seem very insensitive to post my comment in her thread.

I am done with this thread. Thanks for the comments.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bright Ice - if you go back and look at the link to the original thread, I hope you can see why Faegrace was upset? I realise you didn't intend to offend but it's been done. In hindsight it does appear thoughtless of you when you consider Faegrace's very personal reasons for her project. If I had something special underway and then somebody went to the same lapidarist, got a bigger version and then posted in MY thread about it, I'd be p****** too! That may not be logical as I also understand that anybody is free to have any gemstone cut BUT posting about it in the same thread - well, you can see how that may not have gone down too well. For highly personal things, it can take the shine off the excitement.

ETA: Sorry I think we were posting at the same time. I think your post above is very well worded and your sentiments sincere - let's hope that Faegrace sees them and comes back. x

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results