shape
carat
color
clarity

Is cut king when it comes to moissanite?

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all, I know when looking at diamonds PS-ers tend to say “cut is king” does the same hold true for moissanite? And if so, how does the “ideal” or “desired” cut info differ from diamonds? I haven’t read everything about moissanite but it seems like a lot of the conversation is focused on CADs for the settings rather than the stones themselves. Is this because the stones tend to be special ordered/cut to a particular size rather than chosen from an existing published inventory? Do you just go by what you see on the videos?

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
Cut is king for Moissy too IMO! :)

Does the HCA apply the same way it does with diamonds? I have read that people prefer old cuts rather than MRB with moissanite.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does the HCA apply the same way it does with diamonds? I have read that people prefer old cuts rather than MRB with moissanite.

Not sure I would use the HCA, but rather my eyes. I would need to see pics and videos of any stone/ring I was considering.

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
Not sure I would use the HCA, but rather my eyes. I would need to see pics and videos of any stone/ring I was considering.

I guess what I’m getting at is: How do you narrow your search though? How do you choose stones for consideration so you can ask a vendor for photos and video?

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock

No. The angles that are complimentary in a different material are totally different. Without certificates, you are unlikely to get them as it costs money, more than each stone sells for, to take the time to scan and analyze each stone.

The Amora Gems came with certificates from a few different labs, but those are the only ones that I'm aware of. It's not cost effective.

While "cut is king" in the sense that nobody wants a dud stone, for the price, especially ordered from China, there is a lot more flexibility. When I'm spending $400 on a completed ring vs thousands on a diamond piece, there's some compromises that have to be made.

Premium cut moissanite is available from the likes of Distinctive Gem who vet each stone, with a commensurate price increase, if that appeals to you.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cut definitely matters. I've had a poorly cut OEC Moissanite and I have seen a really well cut one and the difference is night and day.

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
No. The angles that are complimentary in a different material are totally different. Without certificates, you are unlikely to get them as it costs money, more than each stone sells for, to take the time to scan and analyze each stone.

The Amora Gems came with certificates from a few different labs, but those are the only ones that I'm aware of. It's not cost effective.

While "cut is king" in the sense that nobody wants a dud stone, for the price, especially ordered from China, there is a lot more flexibility. When I'm spending $400 on a completed ring vs thousands on a diamond piece, there's some compromises that have to be made.

Premium cut moissanite is available from the likes of Distinctive Gem who vet each stone, with a commensurate price increase, if that appeals to you.

Thanks for your reply. This is exactly what was I was guessing.

I am not on the market for moissanite or diamonds right now; it’s just an academic interest. With a different refractive index I am guessing a moissanite that falls within the HCA ideal angles for a diamond will look very different from a diamond.

Hopefully frequent buyers/owners of a variety of moissanite can chime in: Do you go by cut? What about the cut do you look for and for what purpose? (For example, are you looking for a moissanite to be cut in a way that it sparkles more like a diamond? Or to maximize the unique sparkle of moissanite?) Do different vendors tend to have different flavors/styles/specialty?

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
Cut definitely matters. I've had a poorly cut OEC Moissanite and I have seen a really well cut one and the difference is night and day.

Thanks! What was off about your cut? (Too deep/shallow, etc)

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks! What was off about your cut? (Too deep/shallow, etc)

I'm not totally sure to be honest but it looked really dead, it's possible the culet was also too small. I sold it and then with the help of another PS'er's eagle eyes I bought this:

IMG_8684.JPG

If the first looked even close to this I wouldn't have sold it. My first was a Harro OEC, this one is from Tianyu but I bought it pre-loved off LT.

I also have an Amora Gem Eternity, it has a super Ideal cut and it is leaps and bounds better than the splintery moissanites I have seen.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @Slick1 but really I should be thanking you! ;)2

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm not totally sure to be honest but it looked really dead, it's possible the culet was also too small. I sold it and then with the help of another PS'er's eagle eyes I bought this:

IMG_8684.JPG

If the first looked even close to this I wouldn't have sold it. My first was a Harro OEC, this one is from Tianyu but I bought it pre-loved off LT.

I also have an Amora Gem Eternity, it has a super Ideal cut and it is leaps and bounds better than the splintery moissanites I have seen.

Your stone and setting are so beautiful @YadaYadaYada !

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @MamaBee, I can't take credit though, it wasn't my design =)2

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have the most amazing rings...:kiss2:

Thank you, that means a lot coming from someone who has an amazing collection herself and I might add especially bands!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock

IMG_8684.JPG

That ring is beautiful! I’ve read that people prefer an OEC cut in moissanite over H&A, do you find that also?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@123ducklings, I've read the same but I appreciate both cuts pretty equally, the most important thing IMO is the quality of the cut. Maybe having a really well cut H&A and a really well cut OEC is why I can't pick a favorite :lol-2:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found a pic of the Harro (bottom) and tried to get a picture of the Tianyu in as similar a lighting condition as I could. To me the Harro looks hazy with indistinct facets and this was it looking its best.

IMG_8671.JPG IMG_9276.JPG

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
That ring is beautiful! I’ve read that people prefer an OEC cut in moissanite over H&A, do you find that also?

I definitely fall into this category. But to be fair, I prefer the same in diamonds.

Now I want to get out my OEC moissy (sadly unset and sitting in my jewelry box) to see if it looks as good as @YadaYadaYada 's lol

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @1ofakind you are too sweet. Definitely set it if budget allows, that is easier said than done I know, unless you already have the setting picked out.

Q

Queenie60

715736 This is my three stone Moissy OEC from @Rhino. It's beautiful and looks very much like a diamond.

Q

Queenie60

715737 Better photo.

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks @1ofakind you are too sweet. Definitely set it if budget allows, that is easier said than done I know, unless you already have the setting picked out.

I got it for a setting that I no longer love. I’ve toyed with setting it in a solitaire bangle but I have one bracelet project working and a brooch conversion waiting in the wings if the first doesn’t scratch a particular itch. I’m a one wedding ring kinda gal so that’s out. And I‘ve added 2 diamond RHR’s in the last year already. I have my ER diamond pendant For everyday ..so the lovely OEC sits patiently and waits her turn. Along with a small pinkish marquise diamond, a yellow radiant moissy and a small EC diamond.
Such problems... o_O

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A solitaire bangle sounds like a great idea @1ofakind obviousoy after your other projects are finished. Can't wait to see them all =)2

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, cut definitely matters with moissanite. You can’t use the HCA tool because moissanite’s properties are different so you need to rely on how the stone looks visually.

I have RB moissanite stones from an Indian vendor, Tianyu (Chinese vendor), and Distinctive Gem. Out of the 3, the one from Distinctive Gem looks the best.

Below, left is Distinctive Gem, right is Tianyu:

20190328_144206.jpg

Bottom pic, left is RB from Indian vendor, very bad cut:
8EB59DB1-2557-40C3-A27F-20E15865EB9C.jpeg

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
Another pic of my Moissanite from Distinctive Gem (top) with my lab diamond (bottom):
7F0A6D07-CDC5-4E12-A75A-F6B09D57C906.jpeg
15508D2D-D2EB-4F03-9580-C32189917D83.jpeg
I feel a well cut moissanite can easily mimic a diamond.

Last edited:

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
Another pic of my Moissanite from Distinctive Gem (top) with my lab diamond (bottom):
7F0A6D07-CDC5-4E12-A75A-F6B09D57C906.jpeg
15508D2D-D2EB-4F03-9580-C32189917D83.jpeg
I feel a well cut moissanite can easily mimic a diamond.

Thank you for the pics! Cut obviously makes a big difference, but with moissanite it seem to be a far less technical process of evaluation. More focus on how the overall stone looks to your eye (which is my preferred MO anyway :):lol:).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results