shape
carat
color
clarity

Is cut king when it comes to moissanite?

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for the pics! Cut obviously makes a big difference, but with moissanite it seem to be a far less technical process of evaluation. More focus on how the overall stone looks to your eye (which is my preferred MO anyway :):lol:).

There are people who have invested in engineering the perfect cuts for moissanite - but their information is proprietary, and it's mostly (as in diamonds) for rounds.

since there's a lot more fancy shape buying in moissanite, and it's not being cut around inclusions, etc, the things to consider are just different. It's more about who has the cut you want (eg my favorite, I have only seen from Tianyu).

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for the pics! Cut obviously makes a big difference, but with moissanite it seem to be a far less technical process of evaluation. More focus on how the overall stone looks to your eye (which is my preferred MO anyway :):lol:).
I think his is accurate if you are looking at OEC's or other fancy cuts. There are characteristics to look for but not a standard formula to make it easy to look on paper and know if you have a dud or a dream stone. But your eye won't lie...you may have to look at few before you get a good one. In person and in different lighting if possible.

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
I think his is accurate if you are looking at OEC's or other fancy cuts. There are characteristics to look for but not a standard formula to make it easy to look on paper and know if you have a dud or a dream stone. But your eye won't lie...you may have to look at few before you get a good one. In person and in different lighting if possible.

The good news is, unlike buying diamonds - you can buy 2 or 3 or 5 and still not be out a tremendous amount of money. A bit trickier if you are also buying a setting from the Chinese vendors, as setting fees stateside are many times the value of the stone, but some of them are willing to send you videos.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results