shape
carat
color
clarity

Is anyone afraid to wear a ring worth over $10k?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jewelgal

Shiny_Rock
My mom was saying that i don''t want to wear a ring over 10 grand on my hand - that it is almost like wearing an suv on your finger - especially when you get into the 2.75+ carat range... (popular size here in NY)

I am looking for a diameter of around 7.50 for under 7500k
roughly 1.50 carat? and thought about waiting another year or more to save for a larger diamond, but always did worry about walking around alone w/ that kind of stone!

Thoughts?
confused.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 8/20/2004 11:51:19 AM jewelgal wrote:

Thoughts?
confused.gif
----------------

Insurance
1.gif

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
Are you really worried about walking around NY w that size stone?
If the "2.75+ carat range" is de rigueur in NY, why would anyone go after you?
2.gif

Altho, to be quite honest, I haven't noticed the avg size here in the city to be that large..?

reena

Ideal_Rock
No.

11.gif
11.gif
11.gif

elmo65

Rough_Rock
Depends on your lifestyle... Are you in NYC? Do you use the subway and bus system? Are you walking alone at night etc. in certain worrisome locations? All these things would make me consider my ring. My sister has a hefty ring and I was worried on more than one occasion on my last visit to see her. People definitely notice and it just depends on your comfort level. Insurance is not the issue, it is your personal safety. A big ring is not worth your safety or a lifetime of worry!

researcher

Ideal_Rock
I live in San Diego and wear a $20000 ring (3.22 cts) that's worth a lot more. Because the people around me around me wear bigger and more expensive rings I don't feel scared to wear my at all. The only time I've felt weird about it was when I went to a not so affluent area by myself. I really don't think the size you're talking about will be a problem if you live in a nice area and that's the average ring size!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
uh oh...I have an SUV and an expensive ring
1.gif

I live in Queens toots ... Ever hear of Roosevelt avenue and the 7 train and I'm on the J/Z a lot for work. Come on now...no big deal.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Then again, I'm 5'10 1/2 and I can kick some serious A**!!!
9.gif

laney

Brilliant_Rock
I just spin mine around in when I'm on a subway - or walking somewhere by myself that I don't feel comfortable. Sometimes that's just in a crowd of people (any people..not just scary people
1.gif

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I just wear mine and hope the bad guys think it's fake.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 8/20/2004 12:39:05 PM researcher wrote:

I live in San Diego and wear a $20000 ring (3.22 cts) that's worth a lot more. Because the people around me around me wear bigger and more expensive rings I don't feel scared to wear my at all. The only time I've felt weird about it was when I went to a not so affluent area by myself. I really don't think the size you're talking about will be a problem if you live in a nice area and that's the average ring size!----------------

I have the same feelings that researcher has. I live in the suburbs of San Francisco and I wear my 3.01 F-SI1 pear, and 17 cts on two tennis bracelets all the time. I problably would wear only one tennis bracelet if I had to travel alone though.

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
What laney said. Not that my rings are that expensive, it's just a precaution whenever I feel they might get noticed in the wrong kind of way. When traveling in certain regions of the world, I actually only wear my "fake" set of jewelry, all CZ that cost me under $100 all put together. I'd actually prefer to have a piece to give someone threatening me, so the fake stuff makes me more comfortable. None of it is flashy though.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 8/20/2004 12:47:03 PM moremoremore wrote:

uh oh...I have an SUV and an expensive ring
1.gif

I live in Queens toots ... Ever hear of Roosevelt avenue and the 7 train and I'm on the J/Z a lot for work. Come on now...no big deal. ----------------

Are SUVs as desirable as huge diamonds when it comes to robbing someone? lol I had an SUV that was valued at over $10,000 for three and a half years and never worried about someone ripping it off.
2.gif
On the otherhand, I doubt I'd comfortably wear a ring over 10K as it seems like a target. hmmmm. . .If my ring was valued this high, I'd probably find a nice wedding band that could be worn alone to wear when going to events/places that wouldn't be wise to be showing off something so eye catching.

Don't let fear stop you, just be smart about when NOT to wear your ring!

Michelle

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
----------------

Insurance
1.gif

----------------

Oh and of course, get insurance. Like cars, you can get jewelry insured. Too bad you can't stick alarms on diamonds, but at least you gain some protection as you would an SUV via insurance.
9.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
jewelgal stated her mom said felt a big ring was like wearing an SUV on your hand...that's why I made that comment
2.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 8/20/2004 1:14:21 PM moremoremore wrote:

jewelgal stated her mom said felt a big ring was like wearing an SUV on your hand...that's why I made that comment
2.gif
----------------

Yes, I got that! It was in reference to the orginal post and yours too as it's funny that such a comparison was made. Like you, I am, or as I WAS an SUV driver until I traded in for a different vehicle and thought it was comical that you're thinking, "uh oh," as if you're doomed to disaster for having both "high risk" items (but realize YOU ARE being sarcastic.
2.gif
rolleyes.gif
IMO, the two items are in entirely different leagues! lol

Michelle

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 8/20/2004 12:47:49 PM moremoremore wrote:

Then again, I'm 5'10 1/2 and I can kick some serious A**!!!
9.gif
----------------

There you go again, selling wolf tickets!!!

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Try driving an SUV and living close to Mexico! There is a HUGE risk around here for having your SUV stolen, but very little risk of a diamond being stolen. I guess I'm a risk taker though because I LOVE my SUV!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
duh. I'm brain dead today M.C.
1.gif

Carmel

Shiny_Rock
I live in a low key part of the country and would like to offer to wear the ring for you.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I personally wouldn't mind it as much but I doubt Id ever be wearing a 2.5ct ring. Mins just under a carat, my promise band is 3 .03's and my wedding band will be roughly another carat of pave's. I don't feel like a target, and Id turn it (ering) around if I felt it was being watched.

reena

Ideal_Rock
researcher!

this is SO off topic its not even funny, but im thinking of moving out to san diego!!!
love.gif
do you love it?

and more importantly: does this mean i need to get a bigger diamond?? AND an SUV???
Up_to_something.gif

researcher

Ideal_Rock
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE San Diego! I live in Del Mar, and wouldn't trade it for the world! I grew up here and have yet to find a place I like more (and I've done tons of traveling). In my little town you don't have to have a huge ring or an SUV, but it does seem to be the trend! Where are you thinking of moving?

Icicles

Shiny_Rock
the Del Mar Banana Republic is my favorite! they always have the best sales... I got a full length black wool coat for $39.99 once!!!

reena

Ideal_Rock
oh my god, i LOVE banana republic (but as an aside why does the del mar banana sell wool coats?
rolleyes.gif
), i LOVE SUVs and i LOVE diamonds!! i have to move immediately!!! (can you tell im excited about this plan?)

anyway the story is that i live in NYC right now and truthfully, i hate it (now nobody get mad at me, it's a complete matter of taste and i do appreciate the finer things about the city--it's just a really tough place to live). my BF and i are both lawyers so we're thinking of interviewing for jobs at some of the SD firms in the fall and taking it from there. haven't really ironed out where the best place to live would be--i know real estate is soooooo expensive out there--but they all seem pretty amazing to me!! any suggestions of areas we'd like? we're almost 27.

we are just soooo thrilled about the idea of life in a place where the weather is fabulous all year round and where we can have a house (eventually), a car (or two) and, most importantly, NOT WORK UNTIL MIDNIGHT every night. sigh. it honestly and truly seems like a dream. and every person ive ever spoken to about the area just RAVES about it. Yay!
love.gif

we're taking an exploratory trip over labor day weekend and i cannot WAIT. (also--SD would be a fabulous place to get married, wouldn't you agree?)

PS sorry i hijacked this thread. but it is still sort of about diamonds.
1.gif
9.gif
9.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 8/20/2004 2:05:13 PM researcher wrote:

Try driving an SUV and living close to Mexico! There is a HUGE risk around here for having your SUV stolen, but very little risk of a diamond being stolen. I guess I'm a risk taker though because I LOVE my SUV!----------------

See, exactly my point. Entirely different league. Either your ring or your SUV will be stolen. Depends upon which area you live and WHICH LUXURY is more desired
2.gif
lol

Michelle

Icicles

Shiny_Rock
All of the BRs sell wool coats. You would think that being in S. California they wouldn't, but they still do.
1.gif
And stupid me, I buy one every year. Not always from them, but I LOVE wool coats and have to have one every year. San Diego is a beautiful place. I lived there for 5 years, but due to family reasons, I'm currently in Los Angeles. I would like to go back eventually. Perhaps when I retire.

reena

Ideal_Rock
i would love wool coats too if i didn't NEED to have one in order to prevent my limbs from freezing off every october-march.
9.gif

DIAMONDSAFIRE

Rough_Rock
no, enjoy, just make sure it is insured to the teeth.

janelle

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
I'm going to San Diego over Thanksgiving & I can't wait!! My fiance loves it there but I've never been.... the weather sounds absolutely dreamy!

I do like it here in NYC (I actually like the colder months tho Sep-Oct's my fav) but days like today really make me want to move (it's 90ish & 99% humidity) - yukky!
wink2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results