shape
carat
color
clarity

Is 6ct "amazing" or "gaudy"? Lets see pics!

dumbo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
My father-in-law wants to buy my mother-in-law something spectacular, and as he knows squat about jewelry, has enlisted me to help out. I have been reaching out to vendors here, and one that I have worked with previously has a really interesting, well-cut stone, eye clean Si1, HCA score of 1.9, great images. It is in his price range, and is 6 carat! Originally I was thinking 4-5 (my wife has a 4ct RB and it is a very nice size).

But 6 carats: holy moley! Is this thing going to look comical or awesome? Would you wear it? Of course, it will be my wife's some day, so both she and I have an interest in making sure whatever is purchased can be well-worn by her some day!

Does anyone have real-life pics of a 6 carat ideal or super ideal RB?

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm firmly in the "Wear what you love" - camp. So if this is sth. *she'll* wear and enjoy, absolutely get a 6ct. well cut diamond! It'll be stunning.
I think we've had discussions about this before and height off the finger becomes an issue past a certain size. Many people opt for fancy shapes for larger stones if this is an issue.

aac2013

Shiny_Rock
A 6 carat well cut MRB will be a fairly tall stone. It might end up looking like the boulder ring worn in the Flintstones. This may be more of a question of comfort and protecting the diamond from knocks than is it gaudy. I think other diamond shapes are easier to wear at 6+ carats. All that said though, heck yeah, I would wear a 6+ carat diamond if it was gifted to me and not give a hoot about what someone else thought.

Last edited:

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm firmly in the "Wear what you love" - camp. So if this is sth. *she'll* wear and enjoy, absolutely get a 6ct. well cut diamond! It'll be stunning.
I think we've had discussions about this before and height off the finger becomes an issue past a certain size. Many people opt for fancy shapes for larger stones if this is an issue.

What kipari said :mrgreen2: whether it's gaudy or not is a question only the intended wearer can answer ;)2 also how it is set will make a difference in the overall look. Lucky lady!

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
WOW...Lucky lady!

I agree with what others have said, that it depends entirely on the wearer. Many people might not be comfortable wearing such a large stone.

Than being said, I think the way that you set the stone can have a huge impact on weather it looks gaudy or amazing. As a plain solitaire, I feel like it will run the risk of looking like a ring-pop:lol-2:. In an amazing setting it can be something really spectacular. Think of Kyle Richard's ring, I believe that it is 10cts, but it doesn't look overwhelming.

Not necessarily that style, but a setting that masks the depth and protects the stone.
kyle-richards-style-stock-s-and-of-kyle-richards-engagement-ring-2.jpg

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I could rock a 6 carat, heck, I’d even rock a 100 carat!
It might require me doing specific hand and wrist strengthening exercises to support the weight, but I’d find the motivation ha ha.
Seriously, if Mum likes larger style pieces go for it.
However, there’s no point in buying such a beautiful diamond if Mum is going to say “oh, it’s lovely but this is too big / expensive/ flashy for me to wear, I’ll put it in the safe”

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I vote amazing and I'd wear that if I had a lifestyle where it wouldn't make me feel self conscious. I don't think it's necessarily gaudy at all.

Batgirl76

Shiny_Rock
I wouldn’t feel safe wearing a ring that big out in public. I would constantly be looking over my shoulder.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not many are showing pictures and I certainly don't have a 6 carat diamond (or even a 2 carat one).. but if I could and it was given by a person who wanted to gift me (like your FIL who loves his wife) then I would wear it evey day..

vintageloves

Shiny_Rock
No, I would not wear 6 carats. But if this is something your FIL can afford (combined with the fact that your wife rocks 4 carats) I feel pretty confident that your family travels in a different circle than mine (no judgement). It's probably not to big for a wealthy older woman. But I wouldn't want someone picking a gift out for me with the idea that they would get it when I die. I feel that's morbid and a conflict of interest. And for all you know she'll want to be buried with it! Full disclosure, I have relatives I find to be quite greedy and have left specific instructions that they are not to get a thing from my jewelry box, so there's that.

In other words: go for it. Life is short.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's the height factor that ruins large RB stones IMO :think: they look amazing face on and provide incredible finger coverage but also stick out like crazy which looks very uncomfortable... I think it will depend on your MIL's hand/finger size and what she would be happy wearing. Perhaps other cuts maybe equally stunning but "flatter" on the hand? :confused:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not only would I wear a 6 carat I'd rock that baby as long as she was a beautiful 6 carat.

giphy-28.gif

Seriously though depends on many factors. Your MIL's preferences, her finger size and hand size etc. It's a personal decision with no right or wrong. Up to the individual and the only requirement is they love it and will enjoy wearing it.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's a size comparison chart for a woman wearing a RB with size 6.5 (average) ring finger.

4e4a1183702970a223c00df454cd7f03.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Grace just posted a video with a 6ct you can view to get an idea. 3DC911A3-15FA-4EFA-A1D9-58DC6823FCF0.png

My only caveat here is I believe the diamond is in a ring holder so higher than it would probably be in a setting. Just an fyi for @dumbo to keep that in mind.

Isn't that cushionlicious @Mayk ?:kiss2:

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s amazing :love:

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's a video of a 7ct diamond by Ben Baller in LA. I find his work GROSS, it's over done, grille's, over the top Hollywood stuff, but his quality of making a ring to me, look very good. ETA: that's a 6ct stone he did for Terence Howard for his 2nd engagement as he was remarryng his wife again (first video) I think the 2nd video is even a larger than 7 carats, it's overdone but then again I WOULD TAKE IT!

https://scontent-lga3-1.cdninstagra...n.mp4?_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.cdninstagram.com

https://scontent-iad3-1.cdninstagra...n.mp4?_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.cdninstagram.com

Last edited:

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My only caveat here is I believe the diamond is in a ring holder so higher than it would probably be in a setting. Just an fyi for @dumbo to keep that in mind.

Isn't that cushionlicious @Mayk ?:kiss2:

Stunning @missy. A true door knocker. :D

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hell no! :lol: I could rock a 6 carater on my 6.75 finger.

prinsad

Shiny_Rock
Premium
As someone who’s first solitaire was 1/3 carat...I still do not think 6 carats would be too much!!! Especially if it is probably going to be handed down to me :kiss2:

dumbo

Shiny_Rock
Premium

dumbo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone! Of course, this would have some sort of return window, so if she doesn't like it, it won't be an issue. It definitely would be an upgrade for her and my FIL wants to get her something that is superb and stunning; she has had to put up with him all of these years, so why not!

My wife's 4ct is sizable but not "massive"; it is a compliment machine (and wasn't that expensive, considering it is a very well cut K SI2). The color is really only noticeable against a more colorless diamond. Last weekend, she was hanging out with a friend, who has a 5.7ct G (poorly cut) emerald, and the difference in color (and size) was quite large. Both women preferred my wife's ring though: size and hint of color aside, it was much, much brighter! A few weeks ago, we were jumping at a trampoline park with our kids, and her friends noted that they could see her ring flashing all the way across the complex, which is a good 40 meters away.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My wife's 4ct is sizable but not "massive"; it is a compliment machine (and wasn't that expensive, considering it is a very well cut K SI2). The color is really only noticeable against a more colorless diamond. Last weekend, she was hanging out with a friend, who has a 5.7ct G (poorly cut) emerald, and the difference in color (and size) was quite large. Both women preferred my wife's ring though: size and hint of color aside, it was much, much brighter! A few weeks ago, we were jumping at a trampoline park with our kids, and her friends noted that they could see her ring flashing all the way across the complex, which is a good 40 meters away.
Well, after that kind of buildup, we need to see lots of pictures of that gorgeous 4ct K/SI2!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results