shape
carat
color
clarity

Is 2000 a lot for a quartz ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

PeterK

Rough_Rock
Dear all,

I''ve been looking for quite some time for a ring for my wife. After A LOT of searching around the Internet but also in stores, I had concluded to a half-circle diamond ring. I made the mistake however of visiting Cartier, where I came across a stunning (in my opnion) ring: it is called Inde Mysterieuse (you can see it in the Cartier website), quite plain, has pink Gold with a pink quartz stone and 2 tine diamonds. In my opinion one of the best rings I have seen in my life, still the price tag is insane (2,100 Euros = 3,000 dollars) especially considering what it has to offer (a quartz stone & 2 tiny diamonds).

If I compare this Cartier to the half-circled diamond ring I like it A LOT more, however in terms of actual value I feel it is quite inferior to the diamond ring and that "I''m throwing my money away", what do you think? does it worth it?

thx in advance,

Peter

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You're really paying mostly for the Cartier name, the materials aren't worth 3k if you were to sell the ring in parts.
It's kind of like buying designers clothes, you're not paying for the fabric so much as the design and the fame of the designer.

Whether or not it's worth it is really a personal choice depending on how much you love it and how much you'd miss the money, lol.

You also have the option of having one that is similar looking custom made by a good jeweler, it'll probably cost you much less, although they can't legally copy the EXACT design. Rose quartz wouldn't be hard (or expensive) to find though, so in terms of materials, it'd be pretty affordable. I'm sure many of the more experienced Pricescopers here could give you good recommendations for high end custom jewelers if you're interested in going that route.

I saw some really lovely looking rose quartz on Richard Homer's site the other day (and his prices are higher than average because of the concave cutting which is more time consuming, but very unique)
Rose Quartz

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe you''re referring to this ring?

crt2.png

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In answer to your question "is 2000 a lot for a quartz ring?" my answer is YES!!
23.gif

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That is an insane price tag. I find it hard to believe that good workmanship and design is worth almost $3000. In terms of value, you can get a custom made ring, with a fine sapphire or whatever stone you prefer, for that price.

However, in the end, the purpose of jewelry is to make us happy. If this ring will make you and your wife happier than any other, then that is more important than getting a ring "that is worth the price" but doesn''t make you smile.

As long as you never try to sell it...

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ditto to Lady_D. She said it better than I ever could.

PeterK

Rough_Rock
Yes, that''s it! Thank you very much for posting a picture! The picture really doesn''t do justice to it: the pink quartz (in the ring I''ve seen) is very shiny really (has many cuts) and quite translucent (nothing to do with the picture).

I understand from the answers from everyone here that material value has nothing to do with the price and resale value would be low. That kinds of rule it out for me as I really wouldn''t like to buy something of less value (although not planning to sell it anyhow). Problem is that I''m not thrilled with the idea of a semi-circle diamond ring, so I guess I have to go back to the market. I prefer colored gemstores but overall I find it hard to find something that thrills me just yet (a combination of gemstones & diamonds without looking too old-fashioned),

many thx to everyone for their help!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Another thing to consider is how much your wife will be wearing the ring. Quartz is not a very hard stone. It will probably get scratched if she wears it a lot.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Sorry, but I'm going to say it if no one else is - that is a ridiculous price for a pretty basic design, with a gem that is worth next to nothing.
I know a hand full of etsy goldsmiths who could make that design easily and just as nice for ~$300. Plus then you could choose a nicer gem to go in it!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely. I''m glad you decided to keep looking.

PeterK

Rough_Rock
Many thanks to everyone, really helpful!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I will probably get crusified for this post, but let''s risk a bit
2.gif

Understanding high-end jewellery takes knowledge and experience. I too will agree, that the cost of material in the piece you mention is much smaller than the price tag, but in all high-end jewellery there are many other variables that influence prices. For instance;

1. Eventhough some types of materials are not considered rare, it takes a lot to find a high quality piece of anything, even rose quartz. Probably 90 (if not more) percent of this material is translucent or opaque, which means that finding pieces with high degree of transparency takes time and patience. That alone can transform an ordinary material into a rarity. It''s the same with other stones, like amethyst. They''re abundant, but those with the deepest and richest purples, flashes of red and blue, tone of color that''s not too dark nor too light, color that''s beautiful in all lighting conditions, pleasing outline regardless of cutting style, without noticable cutting flaws, with proper depth and proportions, without treatments and of large size (to name just a few parameters), makes some pieces of amethyst very rare and hard to find.

2. In order for a piece of jewellery to be wearable and comfortable, many things have to be taken into account. If they''re not, stone can become too large or too heavy for a particular piece, metal components don''t fit the way they should etc., making elegant wear of the piece impossible. If you''ve ever compared the wearability of a 500$ wristwatch to that of a 50$ one, it''s pretty similar. In more expensive pieces fitting is much better, as more time and attention has been given to details.

3. Stone setting is, by many, considered an essential, most important and technically the most demanding part of the jewellery making proces. Stone needs to sit properly in it''s mount, not be too deep or too shallow, too wide or too heavy. It''s size has to be in proportionate relation to the metal construction, so that balance is obvious even from the profile. Use of side stones can help bring additional balance, if the stone is large and wouldn''t wear properly in a piece by itself. When arranging the setting of several stones, care must be given to their matching size, color, clarity, proportions, levels of brilliance etc., so that they can act uniformly. They also have to be set at an exact level and angle, in order to maximize wearability and bring out their beauty, by also exactly materializing the designer''s idea.

4. These brands never try to make things cheaper by settling with inferior or unsuitable materials. If the piece is meant to be made with diamonds set in platinum, there''s no chance someone will come up with an idea to make it with white topazes set in silver.

5. Costs of their salons situated in the largest (and most expensive) capitals, their skilled artisans and (mostly) informed and educated staff are not small. There are also sponsorship deals, marketing campaigns etc., which all increase the cost of their jewellery.

6. Things they make are either unique or limited edition pieces, and we all know that limited editions of branded merchandise always cost more.

7. These pieces can be easier to sell and bring a greater part of value in resale, compared to unsigned jewellery.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mr. Ma Re,
You won''t get crucified from me because you have only stated facts. It''s up to the poster if he feels that it''s worth it. That said, if I really wanted a quality rose quartz, even a custom made ring with a Richard Homer rose quartz will cost much less.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
agree with both ma re and Chrono.

mz

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Mr Ma Re, I''ll join you on the cross to the left, if that''s OK. I entirely agree. Whether I''d spend €2k on it, I still don''t know...

PeterK - have you checked signedpieces.com and similars?

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Any stone that is used in a ring that can be bought in a chain store all over the world, can not be a rare stone. How many of this ring do you think Cartier has?
Isn''t Cartier just a chain store? Maybe an expensive one, but certainly these pieces are not a one of kind thing. Maybe one of a thousand?

I would think at most any gem show you should be able to buy a very similar stone for $10 to $20.

I think a good 90% of the price is in the name and the box, the overhead for the stores, advertising etc.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i also agree that i woudn''t spend that kind of $ on that particular ring. actually, i don''t buy tiffany or cartier because as gene stated, one is paying for the name..........and i''m just not into brands.

mz

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results