shape
carat
color
clarity

Is 0.7ct too small for a size 5.25 finger?

LSL

Rough_Rock
Would love to hear any opinions/thoughts from you lovely people (photos would be helpful too!) on whether a 0.7ct round brilliant solitaire would be too small for a US size 5.25 finger. Thanks in advance!

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I'm not sure we can give you much helpful advice without more info. For one thing, ring size is not all there is to finger size or hand size, because it leaves out the length of the fingers. A .7 diamond would look larger on some 5.25 size fingers than others, in other words.

And of course many people would consider a .7 carat diamond large while others would consider it small. It has more to do with what the person likes and think looks good on their hand, what size diamonds people in their peer group typically wear and so on.

If you wanted a diamond to look larger, one way is to get one that's in an elongated shape such as marquise or pear because they look larger on the hand than, say, a round or princess cut do.

Another way is to set the diamond in a halo setting, double halo setting or other setting that gives the overall ring more presence.

Are you considering an engagement ring for someone else or...?

Here's one link from a quickie google search that shows some pictures of different sized diamonds on fingers, if that helps:

LSL

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the responses! The finger length is approximately 70mm and the width of the diamond is expected to be 5.76mm thereabouts. The band will be tapered, from 2.1mm to 1.5mm as it approaches the diamond. I would ideally like to stick to a solitaire (am personally a fan of classics) and a RB diamond if possible!

mihirksh

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the responses! The finger length is approximately 70mm and the width of the diamond is expected to be 5.76mm thereabouts. The band will be tapered, from 2.1mm to 1.5mm as it approaches the diamond. I would ideally like to stick to a solitaire (am personally a fan of classics) and a RB diamond if possible!

This is perfect !!! Solitaire will look stunning on your fingers. Go for it

Reactions: LSL

LSL

Rough_Rock
9D983CDE-2F80-4DB2-BC08-DE114B14BF39.jpeg

Just to give you some idea, this is a .50 ct ring on a size 6.75 finger.

Thank you for sharing, this is such a classic setting I love it! Mine will likely be something like yours, but ideally with 6 prongs (hoping that’s not overkill for a 0.7ct) and I’m also thinking of getting my wedding band in a channel setting!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy to help @LSL, .70cts is a very decent size, it’s always best to go with something that fits your lifestyle. You can’t beat a channel set band for durability and practicality :mrgreen:

LSL

Rough_Rock
Happy to help @LSL, .70cts is a very decent size, it’s always best to go with something that fits your lifestyle. You can’t beat a channel set band for durability and practicality :mrgreen:

Thank you! It’s sometimes hard to gauge especially since so many of the lovely people here have such large shiny stones! But yes to the channel set band - I was considering a pave band because it was just so much shinier but looking at how I bang my hands on things that didn’t seem like a great idea durability-wise :lol:

MrsBlue

Brilliant_Rock
@Jsand your set is beautiful!
Not my thread but thanks so much for sharing.

LSL

Rough_Rock
@Jsand I agree with @MrsBlue, that set is absolutely gorgeous! And with six prongs on the solitaire too! Thank you for sharing I absolutely love seeing everyone’s rings!

Jsand

Shiny_Rock
Thank you @MrsBlue!

And @LSL I hope it’s useful to you! Also, my band is “bead set” which I feel is a happy medium between pave and channel set. Maybe something for you to consider? :)

LSL

Rough_Rock
Oooh let me ask my local jeweller whether they can do something like that! I must admit I have always had a soft spot for paves because of how they sparkle but I’m also so paranoid about losing a stone haha

I like to think there's no such thing as too small a diamond. As long as it's well cut and sparkly, people can't miss it!

Also, FWIW, my wedding band is pave. I've had it for 7+ years now. I just had it checked and polished by a jeweler and they said it's in excellent condition. So i wouldn't nix the idea of pave just yet!

Here's a pic of my pave half-eternity w-band. wedding band 4~2.jpg

Oh, and here's the bead set side stones on my e-ring just to compare.
20130911_020105.jpg

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a 6 prong solitaire with a .35 ct years ago, it was gorgeous. Nothing is too small. I think a .70 will be lovely!

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This post shows my .63 on a size 6 finger. So, no a .7 on a 5.25 will not be too small. Plus, as shown, you can “enhance” the bling factor by adding bands, jackets, etc.

Does she have a Pinterest page that you could snoop around in? Lots of ladies "pin" designs and whatnot of inspiration pieces, whether wedding-related or not.

What kind of setting does SHE want? Don't get what you like, unless she liked it first :). If you don't know for sure, you could put most of the budget into the center stone in a plain solitaire for the proposal. Then later, after you save up more, and she can weigh in,
pick a setting for the wedding present, or if elaborate, for an anniversary.

For instance, if my hubby had bought me a halo ring for our engagement, I'd have been elated about his proposal, bit disappointed in the setting. For me, I prefer a center stone to be main stage. I can add bands for blingier days, and add more for super bling. But I can wear a plain band or bands if I just want to see the e-ring.

My (first) ering is a .63 in a solitaire, and it is the star of the ring. I wish I had more pictures of how I change the look with stackers, but here's a couple.

IMG_5445.PNG

IMG_5444.PNG

IMG_5443.PNG

Another shot i took just now of the same .63 ring in my “new” (to me) jacket. image.jpg

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock
I had a 6 prong solitaire with a .35 ct years ago, it was gorgeous. Nothing is too small. I think a .70 will be lovely!

I agree! I had a travel ring with a .4 in a rose gold solitaire and it was so elegant!

LSL

Rough_Rock
Ah all your rings are so pretty, thank you for sharing so generously! It’s so nice to see the different settings, it brings out so many different characters and styles. Got to say you guys are making me really excited about this future 0.7 six-prong solitaire ring :lol:

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
I also want to point out that in my opinion the cut of the diamond far and away trumps the size. A fireball that is 0.70 will look prettier than a dull badly cut 1.0 any day.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results