shape
carat
color
clarity

Irradiation of Pink Tourmalines and Rubellites

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
Just a question.

Are all pink tourmalines and rubellites irradiated? Or just some?

I have recently tended towards the pink. Here are a few pictures. These are rubellites.

Rubellite 1.jpg
Rubellite 2.jpg

This one is a pink tourmaline.

Pink Tourmaline 3.jpeg

Pink tourmalines and rubellites can be irradiated and GIA cannot detect treatment. GIA will simply put on their certificate Scan QR Code for further information.

What a pity. This irradiating thing that is going on for gemstones does give certain lovely ones a bad name.

I can only assume these ones above have been irradiated.

I wonder, though, if colour is stable? And really, are all of them irradiated?

Your thoughts and opinions would be appreciated. Thank you .

Last edited:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just a question.

Are all pink tourmalines and rubellites irradiated? Or just some?

I have recently tended towards the pink. Here are a few pictures. These are rubellites.

Rubellite 1.jpg
Rubellite 2.jpg

This one is a pink tourmaline.

Pink Tourmaline 3.jpeg

Pink tourmalines and rubellites can be irradiated and GIA cannot detect treatment. GIA will simply put on their certificate Scan QR Code for further information.

What a pity. This irradiating thing that is going on for gemstones does give certain lovely ones a bad name.

I can only assume these ones above have been irradiated.

I wonder, though, if colour is stable? And really, are all of them irradiated?

Your thoughts and opinions would be appreciated. Thank you .

Yes color is stable. No, some material is natural in color. . I believe they are heated before irradiation. Since it is a non detectable treatment, make sure your vendor is highly reputable and knows his/her sources for rough very well. I suspect that the non-irradiated material is not as flat in color.

For example, some extremely fine pink and red tourmaline have some bluish bifringence, which is the nature of the gem. Much of the irradiated material I’ve seen is pretty one dimensional and flat in color.

This stone is natural color from Nigeria, it has some secondary blue in it.

1A38FC3D-4FDD-4761-8C98-E3146A8AE42F.jpeg

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the irridated color, and it lowers pricing as long as the vendor is honest about it!

ChaiK

Brilliant_Rock
I don't love irradiated. Very very odd perfect colour. No nuances or changes in different light. Like a piece of stained glass.

And, most dealers are saying theirs have not been irradiated.

I am none the wiser and will rely on eye and gut feelings to judge.

These ones have yet to arrive to me. If I get stained glass vibes, I will return them.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I don't love irradiated. Very very odd perfect colour. No nuances or changes in different light. Like a piece of stained glass.

And, most dealers are saying theirs have not been irradiated.

I am none the wiser and will rely on eye and gut feelings to judge.

These ones have yet to arrive to me. If I get stained glass vibes, I will return them.

Go with your gut feel too.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results