carat
color
clarity

iPad

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2010 6:22:05 PM
Author: coda72
I love my iPhone, but I have a PC latop, and I can''t see ever buying the iPad. But obviously I''m not in the niche market to whom they are marketing this product.

(Accidentally called it iTab.)

Coda, make the switch!
1.gif
I did, never regretted it. And I think iTab would be a better name
2.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2010 6:12:28 PM
Author: TravelingGal
Date: 1/28/2010 6:05:54 PM

Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl

Very true, TGal. That is the really crappy thing about the Kindle - I''m basically locked into the Kindle and future updates because the e-book files won''t transfer over to another device. That is what I like about the iPad, Sony E-reader, the Nook, etc. - I think all of those use the more standard epub format?
Yes. I would be very surprised if Kindle didn''t change that, but I don''t know much about how it all works.

I personally don''t care what happens to old books. I pretty much feel I buy to read them and forget about it. Almost like renting, I guess. I never reread and don''t lend out books because my friends don''t really read.

Haha I''m a huge rereader. And a packrat. I like having all my books with me, even if I won''t reread them for awhile. Actually, when BF gets his Kindle we''re going to link it to my account so he can read some of the books I have without purchasing them again.

MsP

Brilliant_Rock
This device really has no appeal to me... it is a multi-purpose device, but it doesn''t seem to do any one of the numerous tasks very well. Granted, I have not looked into it all that deeply... but it''s kind of a tablet, kind of an e-reader, and kind of a portable internet device. The screen type makes it unappealing from the perspective of a e-book reader; the limited performance, operating system, and lack of stylus make it a poor tablet; the subscription requirement without it being a cellphone as well makes it unappealing for a portable internet device. Also, the battery. Not that impressive. My normal laptop can get 7-8hrs on the battery.

I guess some people will be attracted to the multi-use aspect of it but to me... I''d rather have numerous devices that do their job well.

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
I wonder if Apple will finally fix their mobile browser to allow it to handle Flash? Otherwise the big screen won''t do you any good when a huge number of websites won''t be viewable...

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Count me into the group that will probably get one sometime this year - won''t be the first standing in line, but I can see it happening. My ibook is near the end of its life, and DH and I have been toying with the idea of a netbook, but I can''t stand PCs.

At $499 (we would get the one with wi-fi but not 3g...seriously, I don''t go anywhere to compute that doesn''t already have wi-fi, so I don''t see how the 3g would make a difference for me, really), it''s not a bad price point and it''s a fun little gadget that would easily replace my laptop, since I only use the laptop to surf and check mail.

I like how it could be a nice e-reader, too - but the prices on apple''s books will need to fall drastically.

Still - I''m going to see how this thing acts in reviews and IRL (and see what the competitors have, since there are some interesting ideas out there for tablet PCs) before really committing to getting one.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hate the name of this - every time I see it I picture Max in front of it - every time. lol

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/27/2010 5:11:38 PM
Author: curlygirl
Date: 1/27/2010 2:15:38 PM

Author: PaulaW

I''m a iphreak usually, but I''m not nutty over this. The name has me scratching my head too... A. it sounds too much like iPod and will confuse people and B. totally makes me think it''s a techie feminine product. There! I said it!

Ditto this. I can''t get past the ''pad'' thing. I know I probably sound like a 12 year old boy for saying that but it really bugs me. When they come out with the new 64 gb version, will it be known as the Max iPad?!?!
2.gif

Curly Girl!!! Maxi iPad. bwhahahahahahahahahahahahaa, I almost spit my cab on my macbook. Hi-freakin-larious!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm intrigued by the iPad.

When I saw BEG's Kindle at the Chicago GTG I was all
30.gif
and then spent a good amount of time reading about it online and watching that cheesy Kindle promo video on Amazon. (You enabler, BEG!) But I'm still not sure I'm ready to make the switch from paper books to a Kindle. I'm a big fan of the public library, and I just can't give up my weekly library browsing trips just yet. And I really love the smell of books, always have.

The iPad is a totally different device, though, and I don't think you can really compare it to the Kindle. I might consider getting an iPad instead of a new laptop when this laptop (which is DH's old MacBook, I got it when he bought himself a new MacBook Pro) dies.

I'm one of those apple phreaks, though. My first apple was the apple IIe way back when, and I've had nothing but apples and Macs since. I also bought my iPod when people didn't know what they were, everyone at work was fascinated with it. Now it's so old and big that my high school students used to call it "The Brick." Ha. Ha.

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
I own a macbook and an iphone and love them both almost as much as my children.

however, my 2 ipad issues are as follows:

Can only do 1 task at at time
No Flash capability

I mean, what''s the point? Its just a big iphone/touch

For $499 to start, that''s not enough functionality for me.

However, I like deco''s suggestions of a stylist. If I could write on it, now THAT would be a coolio dealio.

I did just purchase a Kindle, today as a matter of fact, but I want a low stim/no stim device that is easy on the eyes and is just for books/pdf. It''s my "I want to check out of being pummeled with info and just read" device. I can''t focus on my laptop or iphone. Too much surfing I can do, too many photos, playlists, programs to play with. I get all adhd on mulitfunction devices.

I don''t need an iPad. iMaxiPad maybe.
31.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2010 11:24:02 PM
Author: Haven
I''m intrigued by the iPad.

When I saw BEG''s Kindle at the Chicago GTG I was all
30.gif
and then spent a good amount of time reading about it online and watching that cheesy Kindle promo video on Amazon. (You enabler, BEG!) But I''m still not sure I''m ready to make the switch from paper books to a Kindle. I''m a big fan of the public library, and I just can''t give up my weekly library browsing trips just yet. And I really love the smell of books, always have.

The iPad is a totally different device, though, and I don''t think you can really compare it to the Kindle. I might consider getting an iPad instead of a new laptop when this laptop (which is DH''s old MacBook, I got it when he bought himself a new MacBook Pro) dies.

I''m one of those apple phreaks, though. My first apple was the apple IIe way back when, and I''ve had nothing but apples and Macs since. I also bought my iPod when people didn''t know what they were, everyone at work was fascinated with it. Now it''s so old and big that my high school students used to call it ''The Brick.'' Ha. Ha.

I can''t believe I hadn''t charged my battery though! booo
3.gif

I have to say, I still do a lot of bookstore browsing. The Kindle just stops me from buying on the spot.

I really think the iPad and Kindle are meant for different markets. Obviously there will be a few people who fall into both niche markets but I think for the most part, people will either gravitate towards the Kindle or the iPad for different reasons.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2010 11:41:49 PM
Author: divergrrl

I own a macbook and an iphone and love them both almost as much as my children.

however, my 2 ipad issues are as follows:

Can only do 1 task at at time

No Flash capability

I mean, what''s the point? Its just a big iphone/touch

For $499 to start, that''s not enough functionality for me.

However, I like deco''s suggestions of a stylist. If I could write on it, now THAT would be a coolio dealio.

I did just purchase a Kindle, today as a matter of fact, but I want a low stim/no stim device that is easy on the eyes and is just for books/pdf. It''s my ''I want to check out of being pummeled with info and just read'' device. I can''t focus on my laptop or iphone. Too much surfing I can do, too many photos, playlists, programs to play with. I get all adhd on mulitfunction devices.

I don''t need an iPad. iMaxiPad maybe.
31.gif

This drives me bonkers on my iPhone (inability to run more than one task), since I had a BB before where my gchat was always on. For a computer replacement, even if it''s for light internet browsing, etc. I would still want the option of having a few things going on at one time.

nycskipper

Rough_Rock
Trade
I SOOOO want one. I want it for work, to take down notes, browse sites on the fly, google questions, email during meetings, etc... for work, I can definitely have efficient uses for it.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
So...did anyone get one? Whaddaya think?

cara

Ideal_Rock
My silicon valley gossip sources tell me multitasking is coming soon (to iphone and ipad) but the steve jobs'' rant letter tells me flash is coming never.

saw an ipad the other day at a cafe, tricked out on a stand with a separate keyboard and mouse attachement. really? why not a *laptop*? I guess I use all those things on my desks at office and home (and separate monitors for that matter) but carrying them around for portable use?

April20

Ideal_Rock
The guy I sat next to on the plane a week or so ago had one and let me play with it. I walked away thinking it was just a big ole I-pod touch and that it wasn''t really even an apples to apples competitor with the Kindle. Yes, you can have color graphics in the book, yes, it looks cool when you turn the pages, but I wouldn''t be able to read for long on it with the backlit screen.

The other gadgets/apps, etc are cool, but I find them to be gimmicky.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/30/2010 12:50:13 PM
Author: April20
The guy I sat next to on the plane a week or so ago had one and let me play with it. I walked away thinking it was just a big ole I-pod touch and that it wasn't really even an apples to apples competitor with the Kindle. Yes, you can have color graphics in the book, yes, it looks cool when you turn the pages, but I wouldn't be able to read for long on it with the backlit screen.

The other gadgets/apps, etc are cool, but I find them to be gimmicky.

I don't think it's a competitor to the Kindle really, since it's back lit. It's for someone who may want to read a bit from time to time. The Kindle reads just like a book and can be read for hours at a time with no eye strain.

Unfortunately Kindle book prices have gone up since the iPad announcement. I really don't understand why some of these books can't be a little bit cheaper when it doesn't cost anything to produce (vs printing a book).

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
I just got one for my husband for his birthday and we LOVE IT. He uses it for his work calendar, a digital picture frame, as well as going online while we''re sitting on the sofa at night. And we''ve been reading our son''s bedtime story on it. Toy Story was last night and it was so cool...it lights up the words as you are reading it and it has interactive activities and songs along the way. I think it is really cool!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
I saw one yesterday at B&N! The guy sitting next to me was typing on one. It looked cool, but the typing looked slow and awkward because of the touch screen. Still not my cup of tea.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I saw one today and it was
30.gif

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I only buy apple computers.
I am dedicated and passionate about that.

That said, I do not have or even want an iPhone, iPod, iPad or iAnythingelse.

ljmorgan

Brilliant_Rock
My husband bought one for me on Friday and I really like it
1.gif
I''m spending a lot of time at the hospital right now and it has been so nice. I can check my e-mail, browse the web, read books, listen to my music, watch our netflix movies, and watch other TV shows. I like to track what I eat on a daily basis and have been a long time subscriber of MyNetDiary, which now has an application for the iPad. I can easily log my food intake, recipes, exercise, vitamins, water intake, etc. Today on the way home from work I wanted to stop at the grocery store for salsa ingredients and I whipped out my ipad and had my recipes
2.gif
In my doctor''s waiting room this morning I was able to share pictures of the baby''s nursery with another lady as we chatted. Very cool! I have been taking it everywhere with me in my purse, and have found that it is very versatile. Oh, I also use a program on it for kick counts. I''m trying to think of all of the ways that I''ve been using it... I''ll update later!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results