shape
carat
color
clarity

iPad

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35085524/ns/technology_and_science-tech_and_gadgets/

Does this appeal to you? For me, it''s no replacement for the Kindle. I know that Kindle is new book technology, but it''s pretty basic and backwards in a lot of ways...and that suits my purposes just fine. The iPad has a battery life of 10 hours (so they say), and looks to be backlit. Why would I want to read on that?

Personally I think I''ll come up with a new way to make my millions. Take the iPad and mount it on a toilet seat (if TGuy is any indication of people needing entertainment on the loo.) I think I will call it...

the iPoo.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is what my DH had to say:

"steve jobs could release a pile of s***, and call it the "iTurd" and people would line up to buy 8"

Not far off from your iPoo... Tgal.
2.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/27/2010 1:55:20 PM
Author: elledizzy5
This is what my DH had to say:

''steve jobs could release a pile of s***, and call it the ''iTurd'' and people would line up to buy 8''

Not far off from your iPoo... Tgal.
2.gif
Great minds...
2.gif

However, my iPoo is a great concept. A real throne in the house. Add a few little sprouts and sprays plus an iPad like gadget and rich people everywhere will buy it and revel in the exciting lootimes and their clean bums.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
One of my FB friends is going nuts about this thing. Personally, I couldn''t care less, but fans of Apple are really stoked for it.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/27/2010 2:02:31 PM
Author: MonkeyPie
One of my FB friends is going nuts about this thing. Personally, I couldn't care less, but fans of Apple are really stoked for it.
Fans of apple can be iPhreaks.

(see Elle's post above)

5.gif

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/27/2010 2:05:26 PM
Author: TravelingGal
Date: 1/27/2010 2:02:31 PM

Author: MonkeyPie

One of my FB friends is going nuts about this thing. Personally, I couldn''t care less, but fans of Apple are really stoked for it.
Fans of apple can be iPhreaks.

(see Elle''s post above)

5.gif

Holy cow, can they. I asked if he wanted to work for Apple and he was like, "I wish!" Nerd
3.gif

PaulaW

Brilliant_Rock
I''m a iphreak usually, but I''m not nutty over this. The name has me scratching my head too... A. it sounds too much like iPod and will confuse people and B. totally makes me think it''s a techie feminine product. There! I said it!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve been watching the live blog of the announcement. Bit of an IPhreak. DH & I are puzzling over its usefulness to us (both MacBook Pro users). I *do* like that the address book & day planner & book/books LOOK like books. Sucker for illusion! Wish there was a stylus that I could use to WRITE ON THE D*MN THING. That''s what I''ve been waiting for FOREVER. $499 is a sweet entry price though. Game changing? TBD.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
"iPad is pretty amazing — there, I said it" -Steve Jobs. Um yea, amazing that you made the iTouch larger...that''s about it.

The stylus thing will be nice, though.

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
Not sure I get the purpose of the ipad. If you have a MacBook and an iPhone, what are the advantages for having the ipad?

I dunno, I''m sure it''ll make millions!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Paula, you're not the only one. A CNBC commentator said the same thing on the air.

Deco, $499 is a good starting point. But I believe you have to buy a wireless package - $15-$30 bucks a month. The 499 is the 16GB model as well - the other is more expensive. So at the mere basebones, you're talking $680 to own the device in the first year.

This will be good for Kindle or other ebook readers. I see a price cut coming up. Most people will wonder why they should spend 259 bucks for a monochrome, one trick pony. I think Amazon's Kindle is still safe - unless Apple come out with a real iBook.

ETA, if you don't mind just using wireless at home, or free hotspots, you don't need to get a contract...I think this is how it works?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/27/2010 2:33:17 PM
Author: BeachRunner
Not sure I get the purpose of the ipad. If you have a MacBook and an iPhone, what are the advantages for having the ipad?

Battery life? 10 hours? You''d have to be a bit of a media wh*re. But people might love it to watch movies, etc on planes?

But Apple is good at creating the demand/need - so I''m sure they will do so with this product.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I *think* its the "nighttime" computer ... the social, sit around & play with it on the sofa computer -- versus dragging out your big hot laptop. As TGal said -- the computer for the pooper. (Which is where our Kindle lives when not in DH''s briefcase).

The 3G wouldn''t work for us because ATT sucks in NYC. We''d only be able to use it @ home on our wireless network probably. So - basically - my laptop could stay on my desk and after the work day I could graduate to the casual, lightweight "pajamas computer"? I think there are a lot of other ways I''d wanna spend $500 FIRST. But maybe I''ll change my mind?

lucyandroger

Brilliant_Rock
There are some people that only use their computers for the internet, music, photos, etc. but no word processing and such. So couldn''t they just buy the iPad instead of a new laptop? I could see people doing this.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/27/2010 2:52:27 PM
Author: lucyandroger
There are some people that only use their computers for the internet, music, photos, etc. but no word processing and such. So couldn''t they just buy the iPad instead of a new laptop? I could see people doing this.
You *can* do word processing on it ... and powerpoint presentations ... and publishing ... and spreadsheets. With the add on "easel/keyboard" its a lot like the old Imac ... kinda?

lucyandroger

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/27/2010 2:56:19 PM
Author: decodelighted

Date: 1/27/2010 2:52:27 PM
Author: lucyandroger
There are some people that only use their computers for the internet, music, photos, etc. but no word processing and such. So couldn't they just buy the iPad instead of a new laptop? I could see people doing this.
You *can* do word processing on it ... and powerpoint presentations ... and publishing ... and spreadsheets. With the add on 'easel/keyboard' its a lot like the old Imac ... kinda?
Wow. Actually, then I might consider getting one since my Powerbook has about had it. I have my work laptop which is a PC so no need for another bulky item.

Eh, I'll probably wait for them to work out the kinks first and then get the second version.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ll probably get one for playing on the internet on the couch. I''ll have to see it in person to decide, though. See if it''s comfortable, if I like using the keyboard, etc.

I have an old Apple G4 Powerbook that''s my couch computer now and it''s getting slower and slower. I also have a newer iMac I can do actual computer stuff on so I think the iPad will be perfect to replace my Powerbook. I don''t really need a new real computer-I just something to play on the internet on, so I can''t really justify paying over $1k for a new Macbook, which is why I haven''t yet.

Inanna

Brilliant_Rock
I have a feeling DH will want to buy one immediately. He's been considering a Kindle for quite some time. He's also constantly complaining about his big, heavy (and relatively new) Lenovo laptop that barely holds a charge for 2 hours.

I have a 13" Macbook Pro and an iPhone, so I really don't feel like I can justify buying one for myself. It does sound pretty fun though.

Hmmm.. I have an iMac, MacBook Pro, iPhone and a nano around here some where... and yet.. I''m slightly intrigued! Do I have a need for one... no... but I can think of a ton of other things that people don''t NEED either.

It really comes down to how it works. Does it talk to Apple TV? I''ll get rid of my DVR and that''ll make up the cost of the 3G network :razz: I dunno about it. I want to play with one before fully deciding.

So yes, it appeals to me.
5.gif

Date: 1/27/2010 2:33:17 PM
Author: BeachRunner

I think the largest advantage is the larger screen. No more constant "pinching" of the screen
37.gif

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
I totally see the usefulness...for us at least. When we have friends over sometimes we migrate to the computer to show them something we saw online, it''s hard to crowd everyone around it. With this it might be easier *shrug*
im a total iphreak as well

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
I think they actually look like a lot of fun! Granted, I have a blackberry and STILL drool over Iphones, so maybe that is why. I just wouldn’t be able to purchase something that required yet another data plan. Contract or not, I couldn’t swing it.

I was reading a few twitter feeds and blogs to see the presentation, crossing my fingers for a Macbook Pro refresh. Rumor has it that one is coming so I’ve been holding out for a while. Looks like I’ll have to wait or give up and buy something else
7.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think they are pretty cool but have other things I''d rather spend my $ on right now. I still need to get an iphone but am waiting until July when the colors come out so I can get a blue one
3.gif

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
Tgal - you mentioned that the iPad is backlit....i agree that this means you''re essentially reading from a computer screen so eye strain would be an issue.

But i have a q for Kindle users - how is the Kindle screen lit? is eye strain a problem? and can you ''light-up'' the screen at night?!

i dont like the iPad on first look - its a giant ipod touch from the looks of it. Bit gimmicky. It''ll be interesting to see what their iBooks store is like too, has anyone heard about it?

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It does not require a data plan. Apple's website says it will come in two versions, wifi only and wifi + 3G. So, obviously only the 3G version requires a data plan.

My daughter and I have Macbooks and my husband has a Dell laptop. Ever since he got an iTouch he's been using it more and more for quick check of email or some info on the web. He's not a "poweruser" and gets fed up with how long the Dell takes to boot up or even wake up from sleep/hibernation. The iTouch is so much faster -- but the screen so small! For him, the iPad is perfect and I can definitely see getting him one. He can use it for reading books, newspapers, email, surfing the internet with a big enough screen to do these things comfortably without spending twice as much for a macbook. Downside is he has become addicted to Lock & Roll on the iTouch and this new thing is likely to have better games...

eta: wait, we're worried about eye strain from reading off of backlit screens? hahhaha I would be blind if this were an issue and I'm thinking that this place has to be full of internet addicts as bad or much worse than me!

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/27/2010 2:35:17 PM
Author: TravelingGal
Paula, you''re not the only one. A CNBC commentator said the same thing on the air.

Deco, $499 is a good starting point. But I believe you have to buy a wireless package - $15-$30 bucks a month. The 499 is the 16GB model as well - the other is more expensive. So at the mere basebones, you''re talking $680 to own the device in the first year.

This will be good for Kindle or other ebook readers. I see a price cut coming up. Most people will wonder why they should spend 259 bucks for a monochrome, one trick pony. I think Amazon''s Kindle is still safe - unless Apple come out with a real iBook.

ETA, if you don''t mind just using wireless at home, or free hotspots, you don''t need to get a contract...I think this is how it works?
I think it''s wifi enabled so you wouldn''t need 3g coverage if you were going to use it at home. So $499s not too bad.

I''m was underwhelmed though. My friend has a harddrive and wireless keyboard hooked up to his TV and I love going over to his house and surfing the net for everyone to see. So huddling around this is less appealing to me. Also it doesn''t have flash so not all websites will work and if I am home anyway, I want to have full internet capabilities.

Where I could use it would be out at work. I travel a lot for work and it would be nice to have bigger screen to work with todo lists and my calendar. I wouldn''t pay for the 3g though so it''s still a bummer I couldn''t use it for email, etc. I''m sure my clients would love playing games on it!

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/27/2010 2:15:38 PM
Author: PaulaW
I''m a iphreak usually, but I''m not nutty over this. The name has me scratching my head too... A. it sounds too much like iPod and will confuse people and B. totally makes me think it''s a techie feminine product. There! I said it!
Ditto this. I can''t get past the "pad" thing. I know I probably sound like a 12 year old boy for saying that but it really bugs me. When they come out with the new 64 gb version, will it be known as the Max iPad?!?!
2.gif

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Is it just a big iPod touch?

I'm an apple fan. At least, I really like the apple products that I have. But I'm not quite getting this one. I suppose apple are trying to get ahead on the netbook curve.
Ditto the badly-named, sounds-too-much-like-iPod opinions.

I also don't get apple tv. What's the difference between that and a cable that you can connect to your tv? At least, what's the difference that makes it worth a few hundred extra?? But that's off topic.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/27/2010 5:02:07 PM
Author: Blackpaw
Tgal - you mentioned that the iPad is backlit....i agree that this means you''re essentially reading from a computer screen so eye strain would be an issue.

But i have a q for Kindle users - how is the Kindle screen lit? is eye strain a problem? and can you ''light-up'' the screen at night?!

i dont like the iPad on first look - its a giant ipod touch from the looks of it. Bit gimmicky. It''ll be interesting to see what their iBooks store is like too, has anyone heard about it?
it''s e-ink and not backlit. You cannot light it up...think of it like a real book. I have a booklight to use with my Kindle.

MariaD, eye strain from what we do on the computer and trying to read a book are two different things. On the computer, we look at it, browse, go from here to there, take a break etc. On my Kindle, I often read for 4 hours straight. There would be serious eye fatigue if it was backlit. Think of how your eyes wig out when you''re reading the computer screen on PS and someone deides not to break up their GIANT post with spaced paragraphs. There''s none of that issue on a Kindle.

Curly, lol, I read that same comment earlier somewhere on the net...it''s going to be a running joke, I think!

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
There are many times when I easily spend more than a couple of hours reading online as I use online textbooks. I don''t have a problem with eye strain; maybe that''s just me. What does bug me is when I want to go back a couple of pages to see a diagram (math and physics books) and have to "flip through" electronically rather than physically leaf through a couple of sheets of paper.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results