shape
carat
color
clarity

Ionic cleaners...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

geekkitty

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I''m a newly engaged woman, with a lovely 1ct solitaire in a trellis setting. Now I need to know how best to care for my ring.

Our jewler reccomended an Ionic cleaner, and I wanted to know what everyone thought of that, and if there are other methods you use.

So how do YOU clean your jewelry?

-GK

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I use this method on my diamonds and rubies.
high pressure Hot tap water, zest soap and q-tips.
rub some soap onto your wet hand then work it into a lather then use the q-tips to put it on the ring.
Dont rub the ring against the soap or you can break a prong.

Dry with tp by wrapping it around it not by wiping then swing it though the air on my finger to dry out the nooks and crannies.
Works for me and makes it sparkle.

In cleaning other things Iv found zest leaves 0 soap film while others leave a real nasty film.

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I use an ionic cleaner, and love it. Cheap, dependable, light and portable. It won't get rid of heavy grime, though. If you typically wash your ring off daily with a toothbrush, then there is less accumulation of heavy film and grease. Using the cleaner will get rid of any remaining film, etc. If you neglect the ring, then you are better off with an ultrasonic cleaner, as the vibration effect will get rid of the sludge better.
10.gif

geekkitty

Rough_Rock
Excellent.

Do you know what the difference is between the Ionic and the Ultrasonic cleaners?

TIA!

-GK

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Well, the Ionic cleaner uses electrolyte action to clean and the Ultrasonic uses high speed vibration to do the job. You'll have to search the internet to get a better explanation, I don't have my geek hat on today
9.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
stmr...thats the first time I've heard that soap can break a prong!! Are we talking 22carat gold??
2.gif

I'm alot harder on my ring but it's diamonds and platinum. I clean it with Windex or Spic and Span and a small toothbrush. A Q-tip would never work for me, how do you clean your pavilion? Plus it would leave all sorts of little hairs. It drives me insane when my pavilion is dirty..and it gets dirty every day. I want a clear stone all the time. I scrub all over and around and under the diamond. I do it every morning when I am getting ready. I dry it with a paper towel for the table and the air takes care of the rest. Takes all of a few seconds.
1.gif
Good luck!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pendant of unknown make and material likely gold filled or plated broke a prong on a bar of soap.
q-tips leaving pieces behind don’t seem to be a problem with a couple different brands.
The soap tends to hold them together I think.
Also you can shape them any way you like so they reach into the little places.
Also the zest tends to dissolve the nasty stuff that I usually get on them so it washes right off.
Maybe it wouldn’t work as well for other types of grime?
I don’t know…

fuffi

Shiny_Rock
I've just discovered that the steam spout on my cappuccino machine does wonders! Of course hold your jewelry with tweezers so you don't burn your fingers, and place something between the metals to avoid scratching.

Hot windex and a soft toothbrush is great as is water with ammonia & dishwashing liquid.

DaveN

Rough_Rock
GREAT idea using the coffee machine steamer. Can't wait to try...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results