shape
carat
color
clarity

Introduction and embarking on custom projects as a newbie

MountainJuls

Rough_Rock
Hi all! I’ve been a lurker and learner for the past three months and just thought I’d introduce myself and tell about what I’m hoping to accomplish.

I had just started looking at what jewelers in my area were reputable when SIP started, and my researching nature led me here and I’ve tried to learn a lot in my spare time. I’m a mom of two, DD finishing up first year in college, and DS just graduated 8th grade. My hubs and I will celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary in Nov. I love jewelry but am a practical person who does a lot with my hands and don‘t want to have to take off rings for most daily tasks such as cooking, regular cleaning, light gardening, and such. Heavy duty stuff or super dirty things I’m ok with taking rings off. I take necklaces and earrings off at night.

My ER was from a mall in Ohio, 1995. I can’t find the original paperwork but if I had to guess, it is a 0.7 Pear I VS2, with 6 prongs set in a band with 4 small graduated channel set diamonds on each side. I have a plain thin wedding band. We bought an anniversary band from Zales for our 10 yr anniversary, with three center prong set diamonds flanked by 3 smaller channel set diamonds on each side. The rings never lined up(of course) and I tried wearing the anniversary band on both sides of the pear but ended up damaging the prongs on both sides. They are all 14k yellow gold. One of the prongs on the anniversary band broke and a diamond popped out while making the bed but I was able to find it on the rug. Now, one prong on the pear is bent in addition to the notch from the anniversary ring. So, I have not worn any rings for the last year. I hate to say it, but hubs took most of that year to even notice. I don’t fault him too much, since it can come in handy on shopping trips that he‘s not a noticer. I also didn’t want to bring it up bc I didn’t want to seem pushy or materialistic, but time is up lol! Hubs has brought up a few times over the years as finances have gotten better to update and fix my ring but it has never happened, for one reason or another. I even started the process once 10 yrs ago with a small local shop to redesign the main ring but then we ended up moving overseas for a year and they were shut down by the time we returned. I had not really gotten far in the design process anyway, and have really put more thought into it now.

Ok, on to the projects at hand, not in any particular order.

1) Upgrade wedding set. I prefer Platinum, so a new set with a larger main stone(Maybe 2ct ?). I had thought I would visit places and try on a variety of sizes and styles to see what I liked the look and feel of, but with this was in early March and with SIP orders that came to a screeching halt. Turning to online research led me here, so I’ve just been trying to expand my knowledge and gathering ideas in my spare time. Just this week, some places are opening up a bit( I’m in CA) and some shops will allow appointments with extensive cleaning in between clients. I feel bad having a place go through all that for me when I probably won’t end up buying from them. Should I go ahead and visit some places, maybe larger chains rather than a small mom and pop jeweler? I do have a some ideas that I think I want to try, but cant really know until I try some options on. For those of you who designed a new ER, how did you come to know what you wanted? Is trying on options a good start? How did you make the leap from an idea of what you want to commissioning it to be made?

With this new set, there comes the question of what to do with the older rings? I am sentimental about my pear diamond, and even though it may not be the best quality, could see keeping it to remake into possibly a pendant later. But what to do with the rest of the gold and small diamonds from the setting? For the anniversary band, I should probably just fix the prong and reset the loose diamond so it can be sold. I feel like I am just scratching the surface of new jewelry, so dealing with selling older rings or loose parts is a complete knowledge void to me.

2) Birthstone rings representing my children. I’d like these in platinum also, one for each child, with different style and stone shapes for each one. Each ring not bigger than 4 mm wide so I could wear them stacked together on the same finger. They could have birthstones only, or with diamonds also, not solitaire style, but more like half eternity or 5-11 stone rings using channel or bezel set stones. I have also talked with my children about their input in designing them so a bit of their personality comes through as well since they will each be getting these eventually. Ideally something more than just a tiny stone on a plain thin band, but not too ostentatious where I don’t feel comfortable wearing them daily.

2A) DD-August. Peridot is the traditional stone and I like the grassier green color stones, but these don’t seem to be what I see set into bands in the smaller sizes. Also, I know they are a bit softer, but if set in channel or bezel, would that be enough to compensate? What about buying extra since they aren’t terribly expensive so they could be replaced if damaged? I’ll admit I am a bit of a purist, and would not want to use a different stone in a similar color for the birthstone. Using spinel, even though it has been added to August seems okay but just not readily associated as the birthstone.

2B) DS-June. I don’t like pearls or moonstone and want something faceted so Alexandrite it is. Actually, DH bought me a strand of pearls for my 30th bday when son was a few months old. First time wearing them, DS grabs and pulls on them. Thankfully they didn’t break and they went back the next day. Bless his heart, my DH tried, he just had no clue about what is practical for daily wear, or really about my personal style. Needless to say, I’ve been more vocal about that in the subsequent years! I have read practically every post here about Alexandrite in an effort to learn and the more I do, the more I want to use it. However, I’ve not seen any in person, high quality or not. Mass stores seem to only have synthetic, which is a no go. I’m not sure how to see any in person without just ordering some rings just to look at from a place that I can return. I fully realize this ring would cost quite a bit more than the one for DD, which is ok. My main concern is getting quality stone(s) that have good color and strong color change. I am concerned that doing multiple small melee might not be well matched to each other and have different color change abilities and look bad. Or, that if I did too small of a stone, it wouldn’t look like much at all. In order to make use of the stone’s abilities, should I do a bigger (3-4mm) small stone, and just deal with the multiple thousands of dollars it will cost? I’ve seen some beauties for a pretty penny on multicolor, but am nervous about the ordering and return process as well as how they look in real life with actual mixed lighting compared to pics. Analysis paralysis?

There are a few more jewelry pieces I’d like to get in the coming yesrs(diamond stud earrings, a ring with my and DH birthstone) but I feel like updating wedding set and birthstone rings are more of a priority. Any advice or reccomdations along with nudges into action are much appreciated! Pics of examples always welcome as well!

Thanks so much, and I look forward to this journey!

sds061

Rough_Rock
I am in Ohio..if you are still in Ohio I can share with you the name of a jeweler that we have been working with for 30 some years....He is awesome and honest, Located in northwest OH.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is your budget for the engagement ring? It would be good to visit some local jewelry stores that carry GIA certified stones (not the trash from the mall, no offense!) That would help you narrow down some style options.

MountainJuls

Rough_Rock
Sds061- we lived in OH until 2001 and have been in CA since then, with a slight detour to Dubai for a year. Most stores are still closed, but some are opening for appointments for one customer or couple at a time. That’s why I feel weird about taking their time just to try stuff on. I’m not exactly a lookie lou, but I may as well be especially if I visit a few places in order to see a variety.

lovedogs-I don’t have an exact budget here, but I’m kinda thinking for 25 years, at least $25k? We‘ll have to see once we get further into the process if that changes. When we got engaged the advice was “two months salary” which I agree is marketing, but that was a massive stretch for us at the time. We‘re in a much more comfortable position now, but still If you had asked him a few years ago, he would have said let’s spend another $5k and expect to get a new set with a large center stone, side diamonds and a wedding band for that! He knows a bit more about what things cost nowadays, but tbh it’s more about what I am comfortable wearing. I‘d feel a bit weird about carrying the value of a luxury sedan on my finger, although many do and I’m happy for them. I think I’m more comfortable with an economy car on my finger I guess

No worries about the mall trash. I cringe at how much we paid and how little we got for it. We were clueless for the most part, and even though we heard about the 4 C’s, we just didn’t have any experience with a reputable jeweler. Unfortunately, neither did any of our family, so they couldn’t guide us. We just thought small jewelry shops were for higher end stuff and you’d pay more there due to no economies of scale. You live and learn, right? One consolation is that my children are old enough to see this process and learn a bit with me along the way.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sds061- we lived in OH until 2001 and have been in CA since then, with a slight detour to Dubai for a year. Most stores are still closed, but some are opening for appointments for one customer or couple at a time. That’s why I feel weird about taking their time just to try stuff on. I’m not exactly a lookie lou, but I may as well be especially if I visit a few places in order to see a variety.

lovedogs-I don’t have an exact budget here, but I’m kinda thinking for 25 years, at least $25k? We‘ll have to see once we get further into the process if that changes. When we got engaged the advice was “two months salary” which I agree is marketing, but that was a massive stretch for us at the time. We‘re in a much more comfortable position now, but still If you had asked him a few years ago, he would have said let’s spend another $5k and expect to get a new set with a large center stone, side diamonds and a wedding band for that! He knows a bit more about what things cost nowadays, but tbh it’s more about what I am comfortable wearing. I‘d feel a bit weird about carrying the value of a luxury sedan on my finger, although many do and I’m happy for them. I think I’m more comfortable with an economy car on my finger I guess

No worries about the mall trash. I cringe at how much we paid and how little we got for it. We were clueless for the most part, and even though we heard about the 4 C’s, we just didn’t have any experience with a reputable jeweler. Unfortunately, neither did any of our family, so they couldn’t guide us. We just thought small jewelry shops were for higher end stuff and you’d pay more there due to no economies of scale. You live and learn, right? One consolation is that my children are old enough to see this process and learn a bit with me along the way.

For 25K you can get something lovely! I think trying on different styles will be critical prior to purchasing. In general, the best cuts can be purchased from trusted vendors online, but there is no substitute for trying on styles in person prior to purchasing a ring.

Are you in Southern CA (LA area or close enough), or Northern CA? I only ask because that will help us suggest places where you can see things in person.

If you are near LA, Victor Canera has ideal cut H&A stones and incredible hand forged settings. He is pricey, so not entirely sure that 25K will cover stone + setting (especially if you like more intricate settings), but worth looking at his website.

Steven Kirsch also makes amazing settings and could likely source an incredible diamond.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats on 25 years! Exciting!

I suggest you concentrate on 1 piece at a time. There are way too many projects/subjects in this one thread (it will get confusing).
Start with your ering upgrade and go from there.

Yes, trying on a variety of rings would be the best way to figure out what you like. You can also go through the "Show me the Bling" threads
and get an idea of what you like visually then try to find similar pieces to try on.

Here is a thread that might help. It would be best to start at the end and work backward, page by page, to see the newest rings first.

Is the $25k just for your ering or for all your projects?

new-beginning

Shiny_Rock
I agree with the 'one piece at a time' HOWEVER, when you are ready to do the June kiddo ring, check out Multicolour I bought a small but beautiful Alex from them a couple of year ago for $600.

MountainJuls

Rough_Rock
Thanks all, I think I’ll focus on my ER first so I can have some hope of having it complete by Nov. Plus, I am VERY interested in CBI diamonds and need to mentally prepared myself for a wait time from when I pull the trigger to actually wearing something.

tyty333-thanks for linking this.This really goes to show me that trying sizes on is important since the same ct weight stone can appear larger or smaller depending on cut, ring size and finger length. Last time I was measured I was a 4.5, but that was many years and pounds ago.....

new-beginning- I just realized I should probably have posted about the birthstone rings in the CS section. I will make a separate post when I’m getting serious about them but in the meantime I’ll look at any real life pics of Alex!

lovedogs-I’m in NorCal-Bay area. I’m not opposed to traveling if I am planning to purchase from that place and LA is certainly accessible for a weekend trip(whenever SIP ends). DD should hopefully return to Seattle in Sept, but that doesn’t seem to be a hotbed for jewelry designers.

I don’t really have a firm budget, but I think $25k is a good starting point for the main diamond. I don’t think I’d be doing too ornate of a setting and wedding band so I’d rather focus on a center stone that speaks to me and go from there. I’ve heard of “chicken math” which is when you start keeping backyard chickens you always add more, is there such a thing as “diamond math” or “jewelry math”?

Ok, here my game plan....

1) Make appointments at any local shops that allow to try styles on and see what I like the look and feel of. Objectives are:
-Determine diamond shape(probably MRB)
-Size(look at what 2ct+ looks like on me)
-Finalize setting and wedding band ideas.
-Resist the urge to buy something just because it is pretty and I feel diamond deprived

2) Research diamonds(CBI/ACA?) and narrow down options.

3) Get help and opinions along the way from DH(clueless but means well) and this lovely community.

4) Figure out what to do with old rings

Thanks and stay safe!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks all, I think I’ll focus on my ER first so I can have some hope of having it complete by Nov. Plus, I am VERY interested in CBI diamonds and need to mentally prepared myself for a wait time from when I pull the trigger to actually wearing something.

tyty333-thanks for linking this.This really goes to show me that trying sizes on is important since the same ct weight stone can appear larger or smaller depending on cut, ring size and finger length. Last time I was measured I was a 4.5, but that was many years and pounds ago.....

new-beginning- I just realized I should probably have posted about the birthstone rings in the CS section. I will make a separate post when I’m getting serious about them but in the meantime I’ll look at any real life pics of Alex!

lovedogs-I’m in NorCal-Bay area. I’m not opposed to traveling if I am planning to purchase from that place and LA is certainly accessible for a weekend trip(whenever SIP ends). DD should hopefully return to Seattle in Sept, but that doesn’t seem to be a hotbed for jewelry designers.

I don’t really have a firm budget, but I think $25k is a good starting point for the main diamond. I don’t think I’d be doing too ornate of a setting and wedding band so I’d rather focus on a center stone that speaks to me and go from there. I’ve heard of “chicken math” which is when you start keeping backyard chickens you always add more, is there such a thing as “diamond math” or “jewelry math”?

Ok, here my game plan....

1) Make appointments at any local shops that allow to try styles on and see what I like the look and feel of. Objectives are:
-Determine diamond shape(probably MRB)
-Size(look at what 2ct+ looks like on me)
-Finalize setting and wedding band ideas.
-Resist the urge to buy something just because it is pretty and I feel diamond deprived

2) Research diamonds(CBI/ACA?) and narrow down options.

3) Get help and opinions along the way from DH(clueless but means well) and this lovely community.

4) Figure out what to do with old rings

Thanks and stay safe!

Sounds like a perfect plan to me! Let us know once you decide on a style!

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
What a fun project. You have clearly come to the right place!

Sholdt is in Seattle, Kaylee is lovely to work with but I haven't has source me any stones.

Not sure which side of the Bay you are on but William McConnell and Sons in the East Bay was the 1st place I went to learn about stones. There are 4 generations of GIA GG in the family. They are small and operate out of an office building but they also won't take offense to educating you and they may be able to help you rehab or reset your current set. They rescued a poorly engagement setting for me (many years and fiances ago)

I know you said you were starting a CS thread eventually, but I'd check out faceted moonstone before you pass on that gem completely. Yvonne at Cecile Raley Designs on etsy has a few online to oogle.

Happy shopping

Adding in my 2c to your plans and ideas: for your existing ring + anniversary band, I like the idea of turning the pear into a pendant, and perhaps using the diamonds from your anniversary band in the birthstone rings for your children? I understand that you plan to tackle your ering project first, but i mention this because I think that using the diamonds (and maybe even gold) into your birthstone rings might be a better plan than repairing and selling - I’m not sure you’ll get much of anything for the band but this way you can repurpose the stones into something sentimental for yourself?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results