shape
carat
color
clarity

Introduce myself and a question about diamond spread

ttr1325

Rough_Rock
Hello, I am a long long long time lurker that decided to join cause I spend so much time soaking up all the diamond knowledge.

I love looking at the show me the bling forum and RT. Diamond Hangout is fun to lurk in as well.

I do have a question about diamond spread. Threads that discuss diamond spread of the various shapes often go over my head in regards to how some posters can advise that diamond A has better spread than diamond B for its size.

For example...my e-ring stone...which was purchased before PS is a .70ct oval G color SI2 clarity with dimensions of 7.23x4.77x2.99mm
table is 60%, depth of 62.7% slightly thick to very thick girdle.

1. What is the criteria I should use as a comparison to my stone to determine if my stone has good, average, poor, or great spread?
Should I compare it to other ovals of similar stats or to a round stone of similar stats?

I was looking at a chart displaying different dimensions for round stones....A .75ct has the typical mm of 6.0mm and a 1.00 has 6.5mm. Do I interpret that my stone face up is perceived as a .75ct to 1.00ct round or more like a .80ct to .85ct oval?
I am already confusing myself as I write this.

Please educate me or show me the error of my thinking. Thanks!

ttr1325

Rough_Rock
Thanks DiamondSeeker2006 for the greeting and the diamond chart.

So to glean from your response I would only compare ovals to ovals correct?

So according to the chart...since my oval is 7.2x4.7mm it is of average mm spread/face up size for its weight of .70ct?
Am I interpreting this correctly?

vishke8

Rough_Rock
Thanks for sharing the info DS

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results