shape
carat
color
clarity

Interpreting image

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/15/2008 6:10:46 PM
Author: strmrdr
Same for the IS.

There is significant painting going on which in my opinion is a kiss of death with a shallow crown.
The shallow crown angle already has low facet definition and add in the painting and blah.
I agree with the shallow crown, thus the paddling. I don't think the painting can be called significant. I'd place it between 3-4 degrees, crown only. That will be exaggerated in ASET if the diamond is shallower than advertised.

From the image it's not enough painting for a penalty from GIA or AGS (if 40.8/33.5) - this said without knowing more.

picno11.jpg

image013.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Im going to have to disagree with the shallow crown(33.5) 3-4 degrees is very significant.
At 34.8 its less of an issue but I would strongly prefer minimal painting.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/15/2008 8:01:23 PM
Author: strmrdr

Im going to have to disagree with the shallow crown(33.5) 3-4 degrees is very significant.
At 34.8 its less of an issue but I would strongly prefer minimal painting.
I'm not surprised, ya painter-hater.
2.gif

What's actually more concerning is the likelihood of pavilion painting if the ASET was taken correctly. We should not be seeing that paddling at 40.8/33.5 unless a significant (by anyone's definition) degree of pavilion painting -or c&p- is present. If this is the case it was not detected or accounted for, since this was given GIA EX.

MadsnHarley

Rough_Rock
You guys have gone way over my head in your discussion of the images. I''m not looking for perfection in this diamond, and the vendor never presented it as such. He never told me this was an H & A stone.... Having said this, I do want a quality diamond.... The diamond is selling for right around $4,000, just a little less. Bases upon this, what do you think. Worth it or should I keep looking???

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/15/2008 9:53:57 PM
Author: MadsnHarley

You guys have gone way over my head in your discussion of the images. I'm not looking for perfection in this diamond, and the vendor never presented it as such. He never told me this was an H & A stone.... Having said this, I do want a quality diamond.... The diamond is selling for right around $4,000, just a little less. Bases upon this, what do you think. Worth it or should I keep looking???
Sorry John. Understood.

FYI, the blue areas seen in ASET are 'obstruction.' These are the dark areas that are, literally, a reflection of you in the stone. Tilt the stone slightly and the dark and light areas will swap. Keep tilting it and you get scintillation.

I have circled the notable 'paddle' effects under some of the bezel facets. There is more blue/obstruction out there than with a normally indexed stone (below). We are saying this was caused either by shallow proportions or in the final stages of polish. What caused it is not important - the concern is that there may be too much darkness at the stone's edges.

If you have doubts you can do a search on the front page of this site for 0.95-0.99 ct H I1 stones with 55-57T and 59-62 depth to get comparable pricing. You could also ask the sellers if they have another selection to show you.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Forgot to post the graphic.

57-408-335-paddles.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would keep looking.
If you stick with this vendor insist on real images.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results