shape
carat
color
clarity

Interpreting image

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MadsnHarley

Rough_Rock
Could you please take a look at the attached image (ideal scope). Based upon this image, what can you tell me about the stone?? Other stats on the diamond are:

Carat: .96
Cut: GIA Excellent
Color: H
Clarity: I 1

Polish/Symmetry: VG/VG

HCA < 1

IdealScopepicjohn.JPG

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Weird, that image (IS) looks heavily edited to me. Do not look like what something a VG sym stone will show.

EDT:
Can give the actual numbers of the angles, depth and table size for HCA input?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/15/2008 10:25:54 AM
Author:MadsnHarley
Could you please take a look at the attached image (ideal scope). Based upon this image, what can you tell me about the stone?? Other stats on the diamond are:

Carat: .96
Cut: GIA Excellent
Color: H
Clarity: I 1

Polish/Symmetry: VG/VG

HCA < 1
It looks fine but I would be concerned if the diamond is eyeclean to your standards or not, have you checked this?

Mrs W

Brilliant_Rock
GREAT

EDT: yes, im concerned about the the I1 too...?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/15/2008 10:31:27 AM
Author: Lorelei

It looks fine but I would be concerned if the diamond is eyeclean to your standards or not, have you checked this?
It''s funny that grade maker isn''t showing up....Kinda hard to hide an I1. But I ditto Lorelei on checking.

MadsnHarley

Rough_Rock
I made a mistake on my original post. The clarity is SI 1.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/15/2008 10:29:01 AM
Author: Stone-cold11
Weird, that image (IS) looks heavily edited to me. Do not look like what something a VG sym stone will show.

EDT:

Can give the actual numbers of the angles, depth and table size for HCA input?
It looks like a diamcalc generated simulation. These can be useful for what they are but they are only as good as that data the goes into them, which is entirely up to the person using the software. Ask the dealer how they generated this image and what dataset they used.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

MadsnHarley

Rough_Rock
Table: 57
Depth: 60.1
Crown Angle: 33.5
Pavillion Angle: 40.8

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/15/2008 11:14:02 AM
Author: MadsnHarley
Table: 57
Depth: 60.1
Crown Angle: 33.5
Pavillion Angle: 40.8
Thanks Neil, I thought it might be the case with the image.

MnH, the numbers look fine, as it is SI1 I would check it is eyeclean to your standards by asking the vendor.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Agreed, the numbers looks good.

Did the vendor says this is a real IS pic or simulated? Just wondering did they try and deliberately mis-represent this stone because as of now, as Neil mentioned, the simulation is only as good as what the numbers the operators entered. A real pic will show all the flaws in symm and how each facet works in the overall scheme.

MadsnHarley

Rough_Rock
I''m attaching some additional pics that may help in interpreting the quality of the diamond.

ASETpicjohn.JPG

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
John, do you have a photo of the actual diamond also please?

MadsnHarley

Rough_Rock
Computer generated picture.

comppicjohn.JPG

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
BIG question marks here. Please be extremely careful.

We here see very nice diamcalc-generated images of a stone. Now, are these representative for the stone? If so, the dealer must also have a full 3D-scan of the diamond. Can you obtain that?

Otherwise, and looking at the images, I fear that the vendor has done the following. He simply entered the basic average angles in the Diamcalc-program and generated these images. In that case, the vendor probably does not understand angles, their interdependency and the effects on light performance. And at the same time, he is misrepresenting the stone.

Another side-effect of not having the actual pics is that the inclusion can in no way be judged. Pretty important in an I1.

Live long,

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/15/2008 11:45:47 AM
Author: Paul-Antwerp
BIG question marks here. Please be extremely careful.

We here see very nice diamcalc-generated images of a stone. Now, are these representative for the stone? If so, the dealer must also have a full 3D-scan of the diamond. Can you obtain that?

Otherwise, and looking at the images, I fear that the vendor has done the following. He simply entered the basic average angles in the Diamcalc-program and generated these images. In that case, the vendor probably does not understand angles, their interdependency and the effects on light performance. And at the same time, he is misrepresenting the stone.

Another side-effect of not having the actual pics is that the inclusion can in no way be judged. Pretty important in an I1.

Live long,
John please take this advice of Pauls and see about getting actual photographs and images of this diamond.

MadsnHarley

Rough_Rock
I have an actual picture of the diamond I wish I could post, but the file size exceeds the limits on this site. And, unfortunately my computer skills are somewhat limited.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/15/2008 1:02:32 PM
Author: MadsnHarley
I have an actual picture of the diamond I wish I could post, but the file size exceeds the limits on this site. And, unfortunately my computer skills are somewhat limited.
No problem John, email the pics you have to admin and they will be able to post them for you, I don''t know how to resize pics either!

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
John,

I can help if you''re opening it in Microsoft Office Picture Manager

1. Top menu > ''Edit pictures'' icon
2. Right menu near bottom > ''Resize''
3. Select > Predefined width x height
4. Dropdown to > web - small (448x336px)
5. Click OK

Save

Make sure you give it a unique name before attaching it in a post. There are a kazillion photos on PS so gia-diamond or john-smith are probably already taken.

MadsnHarley

Rough_Rock
A picture of the diamond is attached.

diamondbpicjohn.JPG

MadsnHarley

Rough_Rock
Another picture.

Arrowspicjohn.JPG

MadsnHarley

Rough_Rock
Another picture.

Heartspicjohn.JPG

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi John,

I am afraid that your vendor is experiencing the problems of a ''little knowledge''. None of the computer generated images are representative for that stone. They are generated by entering 4 average measurements into a computer program.

It might also be deliberate misrepresentation, but let us give him the benefit of the doubt.

In any case, nobody can give an advice based upon these incorrect images. And the actual pic in the tweezers is too unclear to be useful.

I am sorry.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Paul was right someone just punched some numbers into diamcalc those are not representative of the real diamond.
The heart picture tells the story no actual diamond would be that perfect.
So the only real data there is posted is the actual picture and it is to dark to get much of anything from it.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/15/2008 4:37:38 PM
Author: Paul-Antwerp
Hi John,

I am afraid that your vendor is experiencing the problems of a ''little knowledge''. None of the computer generated images are representative for that stone. They are generated by entering 4 average measurements into a computer program.

It might also be deliberate misrepresentation, but let us give him the benefit of the doubt.

In any case, nobody can give an advice based upon these incorrect images. And the actual pic in the tweezers is too unclear to be useful.

I am sorry.

Paul was posting at the same time I was. LOL
I agree with Paul.

MadsnHarley

Rough_Rock
I shared your thoughts and opinion with the vendor. He did send me some additional pictures (not computer generated).

picno.1.JPG

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
here is the ASET image with the white balance corrected and the exposure corrected.

picno11.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Same for the IS.

There is significant painting going on which in my opinion is a kiss of death with a shallow crown.
The shallow crown angle already has low facet definition and add in the painting and blah.

picno41.jpg

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It''s a nice ASET image. Good light return. It''s paddling more than I would expect from a 40.8/33.5; meaning I would have guessed it to be more shallow based on the ASET. This is not anywhere near a H&A diamond - which may not matter to you. I only mention that because the seller sent those ''perfect'' H&A wireframes to you to represent it before. As Paul said, that misrepresentation may not have been deliberate... I am glad you came across this site so you have the opportunity to communicate that to the dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results