shape
carat
color
clarity

Internal Graining in my GIA VVS1 is Shocking

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Although the cause of pink color in diamonds worldwide has not been completely determined, the general consensus is that the unusual intense color of pink diamonds from the Argyle mine is due to their pink graining, which arises from crystal deformation, much the same way that fancy brown diamonds receive their color.

Bearing in mind that clarity grades are assigned from the face-up view, this graining which is visible only from the sides would not have a detrimental effect on the clarity grade.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Moh I love your pinky!!!
30.gif

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2009 5:02:07 PM
Author: QueenMum
Date: 8/18/2009 4:56:09 PM

Author: DiaGem

Does fluorescence disturb you as well?

Just wondering....

Fluorescence doesn't disturb me as much.

But graining, especially surface graining, drives me crazy.

But the stone shows no graining viewed from the top... once set, unless you are turning the ring in all sorts of way, I don't see why it would bother you? Or its a "mind clean" issue? :)

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/19/2009 6:21:50 AM
Author: Amethyste
But the stone shows no graining viewed from the top... once set, unless you are turning the ring in all sorts of way, I don''t see why it would bother you? Oh its a ''mind clean'' issue? :)
Yes, it''s a mind clean issue.
I thought that such obvious graining couldn''t be VVS1.
But Richard Sherwood learned me something about pink diamonds I didn''t know!
1.gif

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
BTW Moh, What a beautiful stone!!! I loooooooooove the graining actually - the stone''s very own finger prints!! It''s a little cameleon :) What are you planning to do with it ? :)

to Richard Sherwood and David - thanks for the little mini education on pink diamonds. it''s fascinating to read!!!! Mostly, I am very glad you are here so we can get well informed... and all for free. THanks for tkaing the time to write such "gems" of replies! :)

dkodner

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Richard is exactly correct, as expected.....:) It is widely held that the pink color results from absorption of light by structural defects in the diamond lattice.

You want the pink graining in your diamond Moh. To paraphrase Stephen Hofer, the strength of pink color in a natural diamond is directly related to the abundance of pink color. Sparce grain lines will impart a pale pink color and profuse grain lines will impart a deeper pink color. However, too much graining can also affect the transparency resulting in a hazy pink color. I have seen several stones like this, where they have a very nice deep color but look very cloudy and unattractive. Your pink diamond Moh, is gorgeous, so I would not worry at all about seeing the graining from the side. What everyone sees is the face up beautiful color.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/19/2009 6:26:49 AM
Author: Amethyste
BTW Moh, What a beautiful stone!!! I loooooooooove the graining actually - the stone''s very own finger prints!! It''s a little cameleon :) What are you planning to do with it ? :)

to Richard Sherwood and David - thanks for the little mini education on pink diamonds. it''s fascinating to read!!!! Mostly, I am very glad you are here so we can get well informed... and all for free. THanks for tkaing the time to write such ''gems'' of replies! :)
You''re so very welcome Am!

Imdanny as well!!

dkodner

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/19/2009 11:31:58 AM
Author: dkodner
To paraphrase Stephen Hofer, the strength of pink color in a natural diamond is directly related to the abundance of pink color. .

I just noticed that sentence did not make sense, I should pay attention to my typing
1.gif

what I meant was the strength of color is directly related to the abundance of pink GRAINING.

sorry bout that...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results