shape
carat
color
clarity

Internal Graining in my GIA VVS1 is Shocking

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Moh 10

Brilliant_Rock
I'm very surprised that a diamond that GIA graded VVS1 can look like a zebra from the side.

I finally got a good look, and a few pics of the internal graining in my diamond. (Please excuse the lint on the surface.)
The internal graining is mentioned in the report's comments but is not shown on the plot.

See the pics below and see how prominent the graining lines are in the side views, though completely invisible in the top view.
I realize diamonds are graded only looking into the top but still it is shocking how dramatic the purple-pink streaks are from the side.

You'd think such an a dramatic feature (even if only visible on the side) would be taken into account and GIA would not assign this stone a VVS1 grade.

Note the purple-pink streaks run about 45 degrees to the vertical which would maximize the intensity of the color.
Smart cutting.

I'll post pics from various angles.

Question for pros.
Is this graining minor, typical or severe for a colored diamond?

In this top view you see no graining, only even color.

top view1.jpg

Moh 10

Brilliant_Rock
Plot of inclusions.

23756585map.jpg

Moh 10

Brilliant_Rock
Note comments on report.

163542GIA report.jpg

Moh 10

Brilliant_Rock
No visible graining. Color looks even.

390ege0r9angle1.jpg

Moh 10

Brilliant_Rock
Angled view.

456ujn0iron.jpg

Moh 10

Brilliant_Rock
Graining 1

5jgjvhfu75htg.jpg

Moh 10

Brilliant_Rock
Graining 2.
Incidentally, notice the indented natural towards the left side of the girdle.

6kgjg9erbh.jpg

Moh 10

Brilliant_Rock
Graining 3

79ogmbndhfgiogf.jpg

Moh 10

Brilliant_Rock
Graining 4

89okgre2.jpg

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
I avoid diamonds with graining.
It really disturbs me.

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
Strange VVS1!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Such graining is fairly common in pink diamonds.
When judging stones in these colors, different standards apply.
There are aspects that might be bothersome in a colorless diamond are acceptable in a pink- graining is one of those

Moh 10

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks David.

So is this amount of graining light, medium or heavy for a fancy deep purplish-pink Argyle?

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/18/2009 4:19:00 PM
Author: QueenMum
I avoid diamonds with graining.
It really disturbs me.
Does fluorescence disturb you as well?
Just wondering....

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/18/2009 4:32:32 PM
Anonymous Wrote:
Thanks David.

So is this amount of graining light, medium or heavy for a fancy deep purplish-pink Argyle?
It''s not really possible to say based only on the photo- but there are a few aspects that lead me to say it''s not all that heavy
1) it''s a VVS
2) it would seem that the graining is not visible from the top, only from the side/bottom.
Personally, I love the looks of the stone Moh got.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I can''t comment on value or grading, but WOW, that is so cool looking! I love those stripes!

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2009 4:56:09 PM
Author: DiaGem
Does fluorescence disturb you as well?
Just wondering....
Fluorescence doesn''t disturb me as much.
But graining, especially surface graining, drives me crazy.

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2009 5:01:00 PM
Author: glitterata
I can''t comment on value or grading, but WOW, that is so cool looking! I love those stripes!
Sorry for being direct: it would bother me.
Under strong lighting, you can see internal graining for example when an arrow is on fire.
That''s something very obvious.
Like Moh, I''m shocked to see something like that in a VVS1 and I would return the stone if possible.

Diamondbug

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t know anything about all the graining and stuff but that is one rocking stone. What are the specs on that baby and where did you get it?

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/18/2009 5:11:59 PM

Sorry for being direct: it would bother me.
Under strong lighting, you can see internal graining for example when an arrow is on fire.
That''s something very obvious.
Like Moh, I''m shocked to see something like that in a VVS1 and I would return the stone if possible.
I believe you are confusing the two...
One is internal, one is external...

I believe the highlighted is due to external...

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2009 5:19:33 PM

I spot external graining under strong lighting by looking at the glare.
I often can see internal graining under strong lighting by looking at fire.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/18/2009 5:24:57 PM

Date: 8/18/2009 5:19:33 PM

I spot external graining under strong lighting by looking at the glare.
I often can see internal graining under strong lighting by looking at fire.
Great eyesight :)

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Moh, top up I couldn''t see anything on the sides. Granted when you turned it over, and on those closeups, it becomes obvious. But that color is to die for and I doubt you''ll ever see it once set. You are setting it, right?
1.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Moh - what are you planning to do with your diamond?

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I have nothing enlightening to contribute. But I just had to say "I LOVE THAT STONE!!"

And I love the graining, if it is something not evident from the top down. Very much like fingerprints!!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
I can't comment on value or grading, but WOW, that is so cool looking! I love those stripes!

Indeed! I'm telling you the truth when I tell you that when I got to the picture labeled "Graining 1" I gasped out loud. I don't do that very often, but this is breathtaking. I happen to love to the stripes too, the cut is nothing short of elegant, and what a beautiful color!

Congrats, Moh 10! Thanks for sharing your beautiful new diamond with us!
1.gif

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Based on the photos, and GIA report, I think it''s an amazing stone- no reservations.
The graining would not put me off it at all.

When looking for a pink diamond there''s a different set of rules.
It''s not like looking for a 1.50ct G/Si1 where you can pick from hundreds of candidates.

Say there were two such pink emerald cut stones with similar or identical color grades.
Say one had no graining, but a less attractive color face up. Which is worth more? Which is more desirable?

To a certain extent, that might go for cut as well.
Many pink stones are deep. Or not perfectly symmetrical ( not referring to Moh''s stone). When the color is there, and the cutter manages to get a good face up stone, these aspects take a back seat.

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
I know the problem. That GIA report is missing the side plot
3.gif

Really neat stone.

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Moh,

I have some pinks that also have that internal graining. Seems that it can be common in pinks. If I had the choice between 2 identical stones where one has that type of graining and the other does not, of course I would choose the one that does not. However as long as the stone looks good and all other qualities are to my liking, and the color is even, it doesn''t bother me that much. The color of your stone looks fantastic so you shouildn''t let the graining bother you.

Kroshka

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Aren't we lucky to have David to give us the perspective of a professional on colored diamonds! Thanks, David.

Moh 10, if were me, there's only one question I would ask about the graining, and that is: does this graining fit into the GIA's categorization for VVS1 for this color diamond, and I think the answer to that is pretty self-evident.

I don't think it ruins the aesthetics, either- no, not whatsoever. I'd enjoy this diamond if I were you. The color, cut, and frankly the clarity are pretty stunning, and you have a GIA report telling you what you're looking at is real.

I mean I'm sorry to act like a drooling fool, but I wouldn't be shocked by this, seriously, I would move on to the part where we get to help you choose a setting!
17.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results