shape
carat
color
clarity

interior design

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh my goodness, blues are SO HARD. i have first hand experience, hehee.

when we moved into our place...the model home for our unit in the master bedroom had the prettiest color in the world ever. EVER. i loved it. it was like the perfect soft romantic blue gray with a slight touch of lavendar but really just a super soft blue gray. i wanted it. no one knew what it was.

so when we bought our house, i had the painters go look at it and tell me what they thought. of course they had no idea. so they put up like 5 colors that we thought might be close on the wall. all wrong. but at that point we had to get painted, so i chose the one that seemed most like it. okay big swatch on the wall NOT CLOSE to what it looks like when a 15x18 room is actually painted in it. it was soooooo blue, a softish blue but still very sky blueish. i was totally overwhelmed. greg was upset because we had paid to have it done and i didn't like it. he said lets just keep it and see what we think.

well ff a bit of time and i actually got used to the color...and it looks different in various lighting and it actually looked really awesome once we got some super dark mahogany furniture in there too and accented with crisp whites. but man i still remember that color in the model home, it was so pretty.

the funniest and most ironic part is that after we had the house painted and were actually moving in, one of the employees of the builder came by to do some touchups/fix a few things that were still unfinished and i was telling him the saga of the paint in the master bedroom...and he said 'oh you should have told me...i loved that color too and i had the painter give me all their extra cans which is like TEN of them and i just have them sitting in my garage. i would have given it to you'. i was like 'ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!?!?!?' argh! and i asked him the color and he told me and i forgot it. i think it was Behr...and it was something soft sounding like 'gray skies' or something. DOH. and now it's been like 3 years so who knows where he is. and he'd think i was retarded if i tried to find him to ask him the paint color i'm sure, haha.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
here is our bedroom... back in 2004 lol. it doesn''t look that diff now. i have yet to find artwork i want to use in this room.

our bedroom.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
and here is the model home of our same unit with the elusive beautiful blue (and lots more awesome decor going on than in our sparse room hehee).

so we got kinda close but no cigar. oh well!! our room is pretty darn cheery in the mornings, even on a gray day!

model color.jpg

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Dang Mara, your bedroom looks very much like the model home bedroom. I''d say you did a great job.
Those packages on the bed in the model home -? Bling? tee hee!

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
i actually prefer your blue! i fine the model home a more masculine blue.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
So much has to do with lighting....the same color can look totally different from room to room...and at different times of day...very frustrating!!!

You just need a pic or something above the bed...I was just eyeballing this today as a matter of fact...I think it's quite beautiful and relaxing...(crate and barrel)

print.jpg

jorman

Brilliant_Rock
You know what would be cool is if you took the idea of that picture from crate and barrel and recreated it with ribbons of the same color...Does that make sense??

I am making some canvases for our guest room using this idea from west elm (I already made 2 and they turned out darn cute):

wall art for guest room.jpg

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Too much time on one's hands if they have time to do that LOL JK....But I know exactly what you mean...

I think I'm actually going to stop by C&B tonight and pick that fella up...now where to put it!

What did you do? Did you use spray paint? With a stencil?

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh, MMM I really like that C&B painting!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Right?! Too bad it''s a CB exclusive...I''d look it up and get a cheaper and smaller print...by a "Randy Hibberd"...A touch more mod than usual for me...It reminds me of an old school hudson river school landscape but in a modern version......

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mara,
I love the blue, what brand of paint and what color? Thanks! Looks beautiful
3.gif

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
AHHHHHHHHHH...Jorman.....Those are soooooo cute...The wheels in my head are turning turning... I think I''m gonna try that canvas idea!!!! Uh yeah, MMM - I do have way too much time on my hands right now...I''m trying soooooo hard not to shop so I can say, "See, sweet, handsome, charming, studly, wonderful, hubby...I really have been a good girl and need to be rewarded for not spending my usual plethora of money." I''m in the final stages of upgrade lobbying.

Mara! Love the blue in your room. I agree with JCrow...It''s way better than the model. The his and hers pillows in the model are cute. We need that in our room except they both need to be *hers*...I''m a total bed hog. Go figure...I''m 5'' 2"...He''s 6''2", but, I take up most of the bed.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Here''s my favorite (and only finished) room in our house:

House 002.jpg

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
And this is the hallway in front of that room:

House 001.jpg

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
um um um....aren''t you in NYC KimberlyH? Passing out. You can sell that one room for half a mill LOL...Damn girl!

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
wholy crap! look at those ceilings! and THOSE arches! daaaannng! nice.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
We''re not in NYC, we live in a suburb of San Diego. Thanks for the kind comments, it sounds a bit conceited to say, but it is truly a beautiful house. I am in awe of it every day.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
hee hee thanks for the compliments on the blue....we do like it even though at first i was soo bummed. i am looking for artwork over the bed but i just don''t know...there is another small long space of wall on the other side near the windows and also we have the bathroom wall for artwork. i''d LOVE to do something that i can kind of carry from the master bedroom into the bathroom/tub wall but i just haven''t found it yet. i''d like to do 2 large pictures over the bed but greg also doesn''t want anything ''falling on'' his head...lol. its funny because all the other rooms are pretty much done for artwork and the master is still the same as 2 years ago. greg says ''don''t change anything''...he likes it! typical guy.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
LOL...you certainly have bragging rights, gotta love that space KH....

p.s. went to Crate & Barrel and the print is STUNNING. But too aqua....STUNNING!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i LOOOVE that print mmm. it is purely serene.

eta: der! you just posted...so you didn't get it?

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
LOL
No..it had no blue in it. All aqua. It looks like it has a teensy bit blue online...and it''s HUGE...plus the frame was cheapy...but isn''t it just so peaceful? I love stuff like that!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/4/2007 7:43:56 PM
Author: Mara
hee hee thanks for the compliments on the blue....we do like it even though at first i was soo bummed. i am looking for artwork over the bed but i just don't know...there is another small long space of wall on the other side near the windows and also we have the bathroom wall for artwork. i'd LOVE to do something that i can kind of carry from the master bedroom into the bathroom/tub wall but i just haven't found it yet. i'd like to do 2 large pictures over the bed but greg also doesn't want anything 'falling on' his head...lol. its funny because all the other rooms are pretty much done for artwork and the master is still the same as 2 years ago. greg says 'don't change anything'...he likes it! typical guy.

Mara, I am just like Greg! It kind of makes me nervous having pictures over our bed (and there aren't even earthquakes where we live). I have the gallery frames from RE and it seems more secure so I might put that above the bed. Also I have that spiral, votive holder from PB which also seems safer. Basically anything you screw in vs. nail in.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/4/2007 2:43:51 PM
Author: moremoremore
So much has to do with lighting....the same color can look totally different from room to room...and at different times of day...very frustrating!!!

You just need a pic or something above the bed...I was just eyeballing this today as a matter of fact...I think it''s quite beautiful and relaxing...(crate and barrel)

I remember seeing something in a design mag, where they took the same area, painted one particular color, and showed it during different times of the day and with different sources of artificial light...the color looked greatly different in each photo.

It also depends what part of the county you live in. I think in the east coast the natural light is bluer, if that makes sense, out west it is more warm...which can really affect things.

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Diamondfan is right...

Different times of day can certainly affect the color of walls. I work with this all the time and it can be frustrating.
When I''m deciding on a paint color for a spec house, I paint a sample board and study it about 4 times a day. Amazing how
you will start to see pink and greens in a paint color you thought was just a neutral beige!!

And then working with tile and carpet can be the same. Always put the samples together and test them in different light.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results