shape
carat
color
clarity

Interested in opinions about a ring

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am overflowing with opinions. I love to give them out. Asked for or unasked for.

Opinions on the ring itself or the listing itself?
That part is unclear.

Hi all,

I'm new to buying rings online, and would like to know what people think of this listing. I really like this ring but since this is my first time it's hard to know how to really read a listing.

https://www.1stdibs.com/jewelry/rin...-diamond-yellow-gold-twist-ring/id-j_8201941/

Seller: https://www.1stdibs.co.uk/dealers/ac-silver/shop/

mitochon

Rough_Rock
I am overflowing with opinions. I love to give them out. Asked for or unasked for.

Opinions on the ring itself or the listing itself?
That part is unclear.

Both, actually. Does the listing look legitimate? (It does to me, but as I said, this is my first time.)

I love the design of the ring, but looking more closely at the still images and the movie, I can't tell if the gems' edges are worn down, or if that's more to do with the the image than the ring itself.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Opinion about the seller.
Don’t rightfully have one since I’ve never done business with AC Silver. I’ve looked their inventory over many times and often see tempting pieces. To be honest I’m wary that multiple/many pieces sound and look too good to be true. I am curious though. Whether they are true period pieces or the condition of the pieces is overstated? I believe the company itself is legit, not a fly by night operation. Have not looked into their return policy.

The listing itself - the wording is entertaining.

The piece itself - I’m wary that the condition as it appears is too good to be a 1920’s period authentic piece. I don’t particularly see facet damage - but I do see a charming wonky pavilion and would ratchet my expectation of the color down a notch.
I don’t think ‘I personally’ would pay their asking price for this piece.
Go to their direct website if you wish to negotiate. I’m not versed enough to recommend a price range.
I’m sure with some searching - it'd be relatively easy to find comparabiles of this style of ring. And see wear on the side and under gallery on other vintage/antique pieces to compare to images of this item.

Happy hunting!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I will say I have not looked at the listing you tagged yet, but I attempted to buy something from them years ago. It was clearly listed at the price on their website.

After I purchased it on the website, they contacted me and said it had been mislisted but they would sell it to me at something like seven/eight times the cost- and no, it was not an issue of missing a zero or a comma.

I understand that pricing errors happen, but it seemed to be a pretty big pricing error. I honestly don't think that the item I was looking at was worth anywhere near what they were charging either.

I did not want to do business with them afterwards based upon that.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just looked at the video.
yes the emerald is either chipped up on the facets or it’s surface reaching inclusions. Maybe both.

finding an antique emerald without any wear might be difficult?

edited to add:
I have an emerald ring. It’s included to all get out. Surface reaching galore. Add some little chips here and there at the girdle. It’s not a vintage/antique.
But it doesn’t have the concentrated green color lines running along with the inclusions that I seem to see in the video of this ring.
That in itself (and me not being an emerald expert goes without saying) if it really were there, would be enough to put me off this particular ring completely.

edit part 2
If I were in the market for a 2700 emerald/diamond ring - I would find it hard to not stretch a bit and get this instead. Understanding that it’s not the same style design and the two vendors are in different countries. Don’t know where you are located and if that matters.
B73E7205-3173-4C2D-A1D5-B49062E6D2C6.jpeg

Last edited:

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock
yes the emerald is either chipped up on the facets or it’s surface reaching inclusions. Maybe both.

edited to add:
I have an emerald ring. It’s included to all get out. Surface reaching galore. Add some little chips here and there at the girdle. It’s not a vintage/antique.
But it doesn’t have the concentrated green color lines running along with the inclusions that I seem to see in the video of this ring.
That in itself (and me not being an emerald expert goes without saying) if it really were there, would be enough to put me off this particular ring completely.

edit part 2
If I were in the market for a 2700 emerald/diamond ring - I would find it hard to not stretch a bit and get this instead. Understanding that it’s not the same style design and the two vendors are in different countries. Don’t know where you are located and if that matters.

I agree with @Rfisher and I don’t mean to threadjack but I’m hoping @Rfisher can show us the emerald she’s referring to and tell us how old it is.
I’m totally obsessed with emeralds now and was looking at an antique one with all kinds of flaws but still loved the color so I’m wondering about hers....

mitochon

Rough_Rock
Opinion about the seller.
Don’t rightfully have one since I’ve never done business with AC Silver. I’ve looked their inventory over many times and often see tempting pieces. To be honest I’m wary that multiple/many pieces sound and look too good to be true. I am curious though. Whether they are true period pieces or the condition of the pieces is overstated? I believe the company itself is legit, not a fly by night operation. Have not looked into their return policy.

The listing itself - the wording is entertaining.

The piece itself - I’m wary that the condition as it appears is too good to be a 1920’s period authentic piece. I don’t particularly see facet damage - but I do see a charming wonky pavilion and would ratchet my expectation of the color down a notch.
I don’t think ‘I personally’ would pay their asking price for this piece.
Go to their direct website if you wish to negotiate. I’m not versed enough to recommend a price range.
I’m sure with some searching - it'd be relatively easy to find comparabiles of this style of ring. And see wear on the side and under gallery on other vintage/antique pieces to compare to images of this item.

Happy hunting!

I found this through 1stdibs.com which seems to strictly forbid going directly. Is that just something these sites always say? Also I think 1stdibs.com allows negotiation through their site.

mitochon

Rough_Rock

edited to add:

edit part 2

That is a beautiful ring. I've been looking around at a lot of rings, and I'm especially interested in ones with both diamond and emerald. But this particular one I posted about I just fell in love with immediately, and haven't seen another one quite like it. I don't mind imperfections, as long as it looks great in real life.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found this through 1stdibs.com which seems to strictly forbid going directly. Is that just something these sites always say? Also I think 1stdibs.com allows negotiation through their site.
Yes, you can negotiate through 1stdibs.

That is a beautiful ring. I've been looking around at a lot of rings, and I'm especially interested in ones with both diamond and emerald. But this particular one I posted about I just fell in love with immediately, and haven't seen another one quite like it. I don't mind imperfections, as long as it looks great in real life.
Emeralds are fragile and if it is a surface reaching inclusion I would be concerned. If you had to replace the emerald within the short-term how would you feel about that? You would have to find that exact size to work within the bezel and an experienced jeweler.

mitochon

Rough_Rock
Yes, you can negotiate through 1stdibs.

Emeralds are fragile and if it is a surface reaching inclusion I would be concerned. If you had to replace the emerald within the short-term how would you feel about that? You would have to find that exact size to work within the bezel and an experienced jeweler.

Hmm, good question. I would be okay with that, I think. I'm buying it for someone who definitely wants an antique and who I think will love the setting so I think that's worth it.

goldnsilver

Shiny_Rock
This new listing of an antique 1917 emerald and diamonds trilogy ring came up on my Instagram feed and reminded me of the one that you're considering, so I thought I'd share it here in case you'd be interested to have a look at it! Seller is OKO Portland (haven't bought from them myself, but they seem to be a long-standing business and have good reviews?), and the ring is a bit similar with the twist/slanted design, but minus the platinum and melee diamonds. Price is $1,685 so I guess below your budget.

7C06D232-B6EC-47E2-B0C4-9CC712073752 (1)_.jpg

DD210388-36F8-439E-ADF3-524DC8ECFC4D_.jpg

I'm not an expert on emeralds so can't comment on the quality of the emerald stone, but I do think the photos have a more realistic lighting than the AC Silver one. And it's got full assay hallmarks for London 1917 proving its provenance and that it's authentically antique, which a plus if your recipient wants a true older piece. Personally I also like that it's 18k gold (can't say no to high carat gold). It's a size 7 so the ring face would look more substantial if the ring is sized down.

I think the emerald and diamonds trilogy look is terrific. Please do keep us posted on what you decide on.

mitochon

Rough_Rock
This new listing of an antique 1917 emerald and diamonds trilogy ring came up on my Instagram feed and reminded me of the one that you're considering, so I thought I'd share it here in case you'd be interested to have a look at it! Seller is OKO Portland (haven't bought from them myself, but they seem to be a long-standing business and have good reviews?), and the ring is a bit similar with the twist/slanted design, but minus the platinum and melee diamonds. Price is $1,685 so I guess below your budget.

7C06D232-B6EC-47E2-B0C4-9CC712073752 (1)_.jpg

DD210388-36F8-439E-ADF3-524DC8ECFC4D_.jpg

I'm not an expert on emeralds so can't comment on the quality of the emerald stone, but I do think the photos have a more realistic lighting than the AC Silver one. And it's got full assay hallmarks for London 1917 proving its provenance and that it's authentically antique, which a plus if your recipient wants a true older piece. Personally I also like that it's 18k gold (can't say no to high carat gold). It's a size 7 so the ring face would look more substantial if the ring is sized down.

I think the emerald and diamonds trilogy look is terrific. Please do keep us posted on what you decide on.
Thank you for this listing! I like this one too, I'm going to take a closer look (and see what else they have).

I noticed that one of the photos showed the ring on a ring sizer, which reminded me that the listing I initially posted said "not resizable" as well as "can resize ring". What would make a ring non-resizable?

goldnsilver

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for this listing! I like this one too, I'm going to take a closer look (and see what else they have).

I noticed that one of the photos showed the ring on a ring sizer, which reminded me that the listing I initially posted said "not resizable" as well as "can resize ring". What would make a ring non-resizable?

Lovely. Glad to help.

Both rings look like they should be resizable based on their designs and what the vendors say. I had another read through the 1st listing (1stdibs AC Silver) and they do say it may be resized and they have resizing service available? Do you have the recipient's ring size? Knowing that would help with visualising how the ring would look like after being resized up or down.

Most rings are easily resizable up or down a couple of sizes, except eternity rings with stones all around them or rings with intricate designs around the shank that would be erased by the resizing process. Preservation of hallmarks can be a concern as well, but an experienced goldsmith can usually find a way around it.

mitochon

Rough_Rock
Lovely. Glad to help.

Both rings look like they should be resizable based on their designs and what the vendors say. I had another read through the 1st listing (1stdibs AC Silver) and they do say it may be resized and they have resizing service available? Do you have the recipient's ring size? Knowing that would help with visualising how the ring would look like after being resized up or down.

Most rings are easily resizable up or down a couple of sizes, except eternity rings with stones all around them or rings with intricate designs around the shank that would be erased by the resizing process. Preservation of hallmarks can be a concern as well, but an experienced goldsmith can usually find a way around it.

Thank you. I could have sworn it originally said resizing was not available, while also saying elsewhere on the page that it was. I must have read it wrong.

I believe her size is between USA 3 and 4, based on measuring the inner diameter of a ring. So not far from this one.

goldnsilver

Shiny_Rock
Hmm, perhaps they weren't offering resizing services earlier but updated it? Or maybe there was a mistake - I still find 1stdibs listing descriptions a bit difficult to navigate, and perhaps the sellers do as well haha.

3-4 ring size is definitely on the small side! That's a dainty hand and I imagine most rings you come across are a bit big (I wear size J and have the same problem when antique ring hunting). In that case, resizing from J/4.75 should be relatively easy and not change proportions much. Do check with the vendors about resizing though, as they should be able to inform you how far up or down the rings can go, and whether the resizing would affect the look. If you encounter any shop that doesn't offer resizing service and aren't able to give much advice, you can always bring the photos to a local jewellers shop for a professional opinion.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My 5 cents worth.
Its a very pretty ring.
The emerald has facet abrasions on all 4 top facets. Not a deal breaker with a vintage ring but at that price, I’d pass.

mitochon

Rough_Rock
Hmm, perhaps they weren't offering resizing services earlier but updated it? Or maybe there was a mistake - I still find 1stdibs listing descriptions a bit difficult to navigate, and perhaps the sellers do as well haha.

3-4 ring size is definitely on the small side! That's a dainty hand and I imagine most rings you come across are a bit big (I wear size J and have the same problem when antique ring hunting). In that case, resizing from J/4.75 should be relatively easy and not change proportions much. Do check with the vendors about resizing though, as they should be able to inform you how far up or down the rings can go, and whether the resizing would affect the look. If you encounter any shop that doesn't offer resizing service and aren't able to give much advice, you can always bring the photos to a local jewellers shop for a professional opinion.

Great idea about bringing the listing to a store for evaluation.

I'm not sure about the ring size; I just measured one of her rings using a tape measure, carefully, and looked it up. Might be bigger than that.

goldnsilver

Shiny_Rock
Great idea about bringing the listing to a store for evaluation.

I'm not sure about the ring size; I just measured one of her rings using a tape measure, carefully, and looked it up. Might be bigger than that.

Oh dear, better get the size right. I wouldn't trust myself with the result of a tape measure around an existing ring, just because a few millimeters off can make a significant enough difference in ring size. Inner diameter with a ruler may give you a more accurate reading, or you could trace the inner circle with a sharp pencil and then compare it to a to-scale ring size chart (such as Blue Nile's printable sheet that i think you can find on their website)? Although I'd say the best way would be to buy and use a cheap (a few dollars/pounds) ring size mandrel.

And just as a personal opinion, I think it's usually better to give a ring that's slightly too big rather than too small, as long as it's resizable. My engagement ring ended up being too loose even though we thought we had the right measurement (it wasn't a surprise ring), but it was no problem since I was able to put it on when I received it, whereas if it was too small it would've been uncomfortable and just a bit embarrassing haha. Also keep in mind that rings can fit differently depending on the design, especially that thinner rings tend to be more loose than chunky ones (so skinny rings and wider rings on the same finger can be half or even one size apart).

Hope you don't mind my wall of text on sizing, just thought I'd write it out in case you find any of it useful. Please do keep us posted if you make a decision on the/a ring, and if there's anything we might be able to help with (although I'm still no use with antique emeralds...). :)

mitochon

Rough_Rock
Oh dear, better get the size right. I wouldn't trust myself with the result of a tape measure around an existing ring, just because a few millimeters off can make a significant enough difference in ring size. Inner diameter with a ruler may give you a more accurate reading, or you could trace the inner circle with a sharp pencil and then compare it to a to-scale ring size chart (such as Blue Nile's printable sheet that i think you can find on their website)? Although I'd say the best way would be to buy and use a cheap (a few dollars/pounds) ring size mandrel.

And just as a personal opinion, I think it's usually better to give a ring that's slightly too big rather than too small, as long as it's resizable. My engagement ring ended up being too loose even though we thought we had the right measurement (it wasn't a surprise ring), but it was no problem since I was able to put it on when I received it, whereas if it was too small it would've been uncomfortable and just a bit embarrassing haha. Also keep in mind that rings can fit differently depending on the design, especially that thinner rings tend to be more loose than chunky ones (so skinny rings and wider rings on the same finger can be half or even one size apart).

Hope you don't mind my wall of text on sizing, just thought I'd write it out in case you find any of it useful. Please do keep us posted if you make a decision on the/a ring, and if there's anything we might be able to help with (although I'm still no use with antique emeralds...). :)

Thank you so much! That's a good idea about buying a mandrel. I had measured the inner diameter with a ruler and got the same value for the two rings I could use for this, but might as well get it right.

Right now I'm just wrestling with the fact that the ring that just really speaks to me is online and probably overpriced, so I'm probably going to go see some rings in person for comparison, but I don't know if I'll find one as perfect as this one.

Sparklemore

Shiny_Rock
I find most of their items to be overpriced...

Sparklemore

Shiny_Rock
The vendor. But if they can get those prices good for them!

Reactions: ean
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results