shape
carat
color
clarity

Instagram vs reality

Eeveepenny

Shiny_Rock
I found this amazing forum a few months ago and since joining I have learnt sooo much, thank you guys for that! When I first joined I saw all the beautiful diamonds on here and the first thing I said was ‘why doesn’t mine look like that’ My diamond was a 1ct very well cut hearts and arrow diamond and looked perfect on the idealscope. I was really disheartened and disappointed in how my diamond looked compared to all the ones on PS. I was so discouraged that I started the search for a new diamond! I finally realized that it’s the phone case.

Im posting this thread to help new comers on this forum from possibly going through the same thoughts and feelings as I had. I have realized it’s basically A ‘Instagram’ vs ‘reality’ situation.

the photos taken below are in the exact same light, at the same time, with the same camera phone. The only difference is a black phone case vs. a coloured phone case.

36B10348-A38D-49A1-8628-7EC7422DCA1F.jpeg 0207B1EA-81E1-4904-B989-4CC9FA8CDBB0.jpeg
I have no doubt that all the long term members already know this but for a newcomer I think it’s important for them to know so they don’t get disheartened when their diamond ring photos don’t look like the PS photos. And most importantly so they know to make it look like the beautiful diamonds on PS! :)

Last edited:

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is so true! I've always had black phone cases in the past, so my pics looked more like pic 2 above. When I recently changed to a clear case for my silver iPhone, I couldn't figure out why diamond was photographing differently (more like pic 1). Took me a bit to figure it out.

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
Mine is lavender, so....

20200820_081021.jpg
Not a good photo, but you get the idea....
I remember @HappyNewLife did a thread about this and her rose gold case a while back, and Im loving this info. showing what a black case does....does the intragram user have a multi-colored case?? If so, I want to buy!!

Last edited:

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
The pics in the post are of my diamond with that phone case. Here are some more pics of it. Please excuse the paint on my hands haha, I’m renovating atm 6849FC3B-8917-4603-B2CB-6E7F6BF023F8.jpeg ap
CE266E05-37A7-44FC-B235-18A344EB4DC9.jpeg 1053B93E-F70C-4B15-B34B-2BD3427C7A3E.jpeg

Gorgeous!!!! :kiss2:

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
you may have already done so ...

but if not, you can go to your original post of this thread. there is a "report concern" link in blue. if you click on that, you can get to ella the moderator, more effectively.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Blue sky
Green leaves
Red petals
04E74093-CC8C-494E-A535-AE89C715AD99.jpeg
Edit
I also wouldn’t consider this ‘Instagram vs reality‘
that implies a poster is photoshopping their images and passing them off as ‘real’ or not noting that they are enhanced.

Last edited:

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The pic in my avatar was taken using a phone case that has a floral print. If I'm wearing a colored top my pics are more colorful than when I'm wearing a neutral color. I've also noticed that I see more red and pink in my pics if my nails are any version of those colors.

Here's a pic of the phone case I use. phone_case.JPG

Girlfriday17

Shiny_Rock
Good advice, I may start using my husband’s phone for specific pictures instead as he has his in a wallet type case and wouldn’t have the interference. I may also try that paper trick.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was wearing an ugly neon green running shirt yesterday and my diamond looked crazy :lol: made me think of this thread!!!

Absolutely!! Factor in your tops and the color of the walls, etc. my case is lilac but I still get multi colored pics bc of my clothes and surroundings—- so no need to go out and buy a new phone case.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gemly

Shiny_Rock
The give awau is the pastel colours - diamonds can only have rainbow spectral colours

@Garry H (Cut Nut) Thats funny because my profile photo is just me diamond outside under a tree with a black phone case. Must have been picking up from the environment somehow.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Garry H (Cut Nut) Thats funny because my profile photo is just me diamond outside under a tree with a black phone case. Must have been picking up from the environment somehow.

I think that’s what he means. That diamonds reflect our environment. But when pics show rainbow colors, then you those are signs of a well cut diamond. I think?

Gemly

Shiny_Rock
I think that’s what he means. That diamonds reflect our environment. But when pics show rainbow colors, then you those are signs of a well cut diamond. I think?

Ok that makes sense. I had thought spectral colors referred to those softer colors that dance all over the stone in indirect light (under a tree) type scenarios. I probably misunderstood the terminology.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results