carat
color
clarity

Instacart

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anyone use this? Familiar with it?

So I used it for the first time at the beach house just to test it out. I ordered some frozen goods (OK Ice Cream haha I just love ice cream I admit it) and it arrived within an hour and it was so easy.

Back in Brooklyn now and my DH is having knee replacement surgery next week so I am not going to be able to get to Costco while he is recovering. Costco in Brooklyn is most definitely a 2 person affair. But I digress.

Back to Instacart. Has anyone used it in an urban (crowded and busy) setting? Has anyone used it for Costco? What did you think of it?

I'm excited that this option exists and I will be giving it a go after next week. Just curious if anyone has experience with Instacart in general and Costco Instacart specifically.

calvinandhobbesshopping.jpg

RayRay

Shiny_Rock
I’ve never used Instacart, but with any delivery service, I would be careful of what temperature raw foods arrive in as I know that can be an issue...

kathley

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I use Instacart fairly frequently when needed. I like using it for Costco because I can get heavier and bulky items delivered without the hassles of dealing with the long lines and the crowds. On occasion I have had the incorrect item purchased, or broken eggs, etc. But the Instacart's customer service has been great with refunds on such. The only thing that I have noticed is that the prices for items are more when using Instacart than if I just went to the store. In some cases, they are quite a bit more.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've never used Instacart but we use Amazon Fresh, Prime Pantry, and Prime Now regularly. Prime Now delivers from Whole Foods, which is where we do most of our grocery shopping anyway. They pack any refrigerated/frozen items with ice, but we always set it to deliver when we're home - if my husband orders, he does like 7 am delivery so he can put it in the fridge before work, for instance.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Of course i have no idea what intercart is or what its best good at but when i order our groceries on the internet it comes from the supermarket in town and arrives in a refrigerated truck - which has a frozen compartment
after ive put then all away our floor is still cold from having the bags of very cold frozen veg sitting on them
Colder than we could ever bring them home ourselves from the supermarket
This is esoecially good in the summer for chilled product like milk

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve never used Instacart, but with any delivery service, I would be careful of what temperature raw foods arrive in as I know that can be an issue...

Yes for sure. I also prefer choosing produce myself...that's probably going to be the weak link. I ordered from Fresh direct years ago when they first started delivering in our area and I got soggy salads and that was the last time I ordered from them.

I use Instacart fairly frequently when needed. I like using it for Costco because I can get heavier and bulky items delivered without the hassles of dealing with the long lines and the crowds. On occasion I have had the incorrect item purchased, or broken eggs, etc. But the Instacart's customer service has been great with refunds on such. The only thing that I have noticed is that the prices for items are more when using Instacart than if I just went to the store. In some cases, they are quite a bit more.

Thanks @kathley. I agree and hope it works out well for us too. Yes the prices are higher. That's how they make a profit and can offer the service. I absolutely don't mind paying more for each item because if it works out it will be such a wonderful service for us during the next couple of months when I need the extra help. I believe the salads are like $1 to $1.50 more per bag and similarly higher per item. But again not a forever service for us or it might get to be cost prohibitive though with the great prices at Costco it is still cheaper than shopping for certain things (big salads for example which they do not even offer at our local supermarket) than at the local supermarkets.

I've never used Instacart but we use Amazon Fresh, Prime Pantry, and Prime Now regularly. Prime Now delivers from Whole Foods, which is where we do most of our grocery shopping anyway. They pack any refrigerated/frozen items with ice, but we always set it to deliver when we're home - if my husband orders, he does like 7 am delivery so he can put it in the fridge before work, for instance.

Thanks @distracts. I plan on ordering for early morning delivery too. I am generally awake super early so 7 AM is late for me haha but not sure what their earliest delivery time is...probably around 8AM here is my guess.
Of course i have no idea what intercart is or what its best good at but when i order our groceries on the internet it comes from the supermarket in town and arrives in a refrigerated truck - which has a frozen compartment
after ive put then all away our floor is still cold from having the bags of very cold frozen veg sitting on them
Colder than we could ever bring them home ourselves from the supermarket
This is esoecially good in the summer for chilled product like milk

Sounds convenient. I love the options we have today for deliveries. When I was young no such option existed IIRC. Except for milkman and the milk in glass bottles deliveries. Hahaha I am aging myself. :lol:

I'm fat, lazy, and poor enough already.

The only exercise I get now is dragging my fat ass out to my car to buy chips, ice cream, beer, and pork rinds.
Instafart's $3.99 delivery fee could buy me a nice slab of yummy lard to slather all over my beer belly.

Gosh, when is someone going to invent a service to post for me?
Then I wouldn't have to get out of bed and exhaust myself typing.

Hahaha it's the one thing I actually enjoy. Posting and chatting. And I can do it from bed so win win.
If it weren't so stressful driving and parking and navigating the Brooklyn Costco (it's always crazy crowded and hectic there) I would prefer going myself and choosing the produce myself. But while my DH is not able to be weight bearing I am going to give it a whirl.

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
We've had our grocery shopping delivered every Friday night for the past...15+ years. So, it's something we are fairly comfortable with :)

The vans are refrigerated with frozen sections and there are strict rules (health & safety) regarding how long each item can be in the 'open' for (i.e. freezer stuff not in an actual freezer. The rules are far stricter than would apply if doing your own grocery shopping).

The pickers are also instructed to pick the items with the longest shelf life and to choose fresh items that 'you would pick yourself' (i.e no bashed fruit). there is a customer support number if anything goes wrong (in 15 years I've maybe called it 5 times) and occasionally well get a substitute item that seems strange (at Christmas we got a bag of frozen broccoli as a sub for Brussel sprouts ) but no biggie. I still go into the supermarket but wouldn't even dream now of getting a weekly shop that wasn't delivered. Oh, and I know our shopping is picked around 7am but we don't get it delivered to between 4-5pm.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We've had our grocery shopping delivered every Friday night for the past...15+ years. So, it's something we are fairly comfortable with :)

The vans are refrigerated with frozen sections and there are strict rules (health & safety) regarding how long each item can be in the 'open' for (i.e. freezer stuff not in an actual freezer. The rules are far stricter than would apply if doing your own grocery shopping).

The pickers are also instructed to pick the items with the longest shelf life and to choose fresh items that 'you would pick yourself' (i.e no bashed fruit). there is a customer support number if anything goes wrong (in 15 years I've maybe called it 5 times) and occasionally well get a substitute item that seems strange (at Christmas we got a bag of frozen broccoli as a sub for Brussel sprouts ) but no biggie. I still go into the supermarket but wouldn't even dream now of getting a weekly shop that wasn't delivered. Oh, and I know our shopping is picked around 7am but we don't get it delivered to between 4-5pm.

Hi that sounds wonderful. I think our instacart is less strict and less professional. I was chatting with a few Costco employees yesterday and they made it seem like the instacart people take their own car and deliver. I guess I’ll find out. Thanks for sharing and I hope ours works as well.

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Hi that sounds wonderful. I think our instacart is less strict and less professional. I was chatting with a few Costco employees yesterday and they made it seem like the instacart people take their own car and deliver. I guess I’ll find out. Thanks for sharing and I hope ours works as well.

AHH, that does sound like a different setup and not quite as appealing!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AHH, that does sound like a different setup and not quite as appealing!

I’ll keep you posted. I’m very curious as to how this will work out. It would be super convenient if it works out.

kathley

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’ll keep you posted. I’m very curious as to how this will work out. It would be super convenient if it works out.

We love this service. It has been valuable on several occasions especially late at night when it is a safer option, or when I am in the middle of preparing a meal and need last minute items, etc. I also like the option of contacting and talking with the shopper while they are shopping for my items. This really helps in decreasing errors, etc. One thing that is helpful is if you are planning on using the service somewhat regularly, then the yearly fee pays for itself in unlimited free deliveries.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We love this service. It has been valuable on several occasions especially late at night when it is a safer option, or when I am in the middle of preparing a meal and need last minute items, etc. I also like the option of contacting and talking with the shopper while they are shopping for my items. This really helps in decreasing errors, etc. One thing that is helpful is if you are planning on using the service somewhat regularly, then the yearly fee pays for itself in unlimited free deliveries.

Sounds great. If it goes well I will definitely sign up for the yearly membership. I’m pleased this is even an option here and if it works out what a huge help this service will be.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've used it with mixed results. I think a lot depends on the shopper that you get. One time ordering food to be purchased at Whole Foods I ordered 3 loose organic carrots and got 3 full bunches. Same order wanted 2 organic leeks and got 2 bunches. The photos on the site clearly were of only 1 carrot or leek. There were other photos for bunches. Their customer service was good and it forced me to learn to cook carrots in many ways, but again, the shopper you get determines your experience I think.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

Im still getting used to substitutions and one week i got 10 L of milk all due to expire in 3 days - they gave me my money back and i froze 4 litres and we made alot of milky drinks and had weetbix for a few days

Rubymal

Shiny_Rock
I used to use instacart regularly for office snacks and drinks. Most of the time, items arrived fine. There was one time where my account said it was delivered, but the person never showed up. Instacart gave us a refund. They do use their own cars to do the delivery. The only real negative is that sometimes the delivery person would not bother to let me know they arrived (it was an office that you could get into the main area with, without a key) and they would just leave the groceries in the lobby (even ones that needed to be refrigerated) and I would have no idea it arrived until I walked out and saw it. But that only happened a handful of times.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've used it with mixed results. I think a lot depends on the shopper that you get. One time ordering food to be purchased at Whole Foods I ordered 3 loose organic carrots and got 3 full bunches. Same order wanted 2 organic leeks and got 2 bunches. The photos on the site clearly were of only 1 carrot or leek. There were other photos for bunches. Their customer service was good and it forced me to learn to cook carrots in many ways, but again, the shopper you get determines your experience I think.

I'm laughing a bit thinking of you with three whole bunches of carrots, having to eat carrots for a month! Carrot soup is a good thing that can use up a lot of carrots and get frozen for later, when you are less carroted-out.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yeah in Brooklyn I wonder what kind of service I will get. We will see...thanks for the info. As I suspected experiences will vary greatly depending on the person doing the shopping. Can I tip when they deliver or do I have to tip before?

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can I tip when they deliver or do I have to tip before?
If I recall correctly, the tip was part of the app but I think it was done afterwards. But I could be remembering that wrong.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I recall correctly, the tip was part of the app but I think it was done afterwards. But I could be remembering that wrong.

Thanks. it's difficult because you cannot see what is in stock and what is not in stock when you place the order and in most circumstances substitutes won't do because I am very picky about what I want. So it will be an experiment and I guess the experience will vary depending on the day and time and who is collecting the order. In an ideal world this idea rocks. But in real life application I can see a high potential for it not working the way I hope it will especially in a high traffic metropolitan area.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One other thing, I believe that for some of the stores that they shop for, the groceries are not necessarily purchased at the store, but that they are picking from stock in a warehouse. That may impact what you get. I don't think that is true for all of the grocers, but I did hear that it worked like that for some, at least in the Boston area, where I am.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok just got our first Costco Instacart delivery. Love it! Hossam our personal shopper did a great job and I’m very pleased. What a great option!

Though living in a busy urban environment made it impossible for him to get parking but fortunately our staff is wonderful here and Paul helped me up with the groceries. Which were very heavy. Anyway overall a very positive experience with Instacart. And the produce and perishables were in a cooler bag. ❤

I imagine based on your location experience will vary. My first Instacart experience was at the beach house and I ordered ice cream. And it wasn’t kept cool lol. But it’s ok. Still pleased we have this option.

You can allow substitutions and choose which substitutions are acceptable. And you can also say no substitutions. Also you can add specific instructions for each item. Very helpful to be able to do that. For example I asked for green bananas, hard avocados and for the latest freshest salad dates to be chosen.

And the tip can be adjusted after you get the order which is sweet. Of course I gave a generous tip.

Wanted to update the thread for those who are interested.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results