shape
carat
color
clarity

"Inspired by": Antique ring mashed with a Mege basket question

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Then to answer your actual question (!), I will say that you can always use antique rings and even copy them exactly, but with currently produced lines, I'd be sure I only used small similar elements in a new design. So in this case, I don't have a problem with what you are trying to do!

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
Then to answer your actual question (!), I will say that you can always use antique rings and even copy them exactly, but with currently produced lines, I'd be sure I only used small similar elements in a new design. So in this case, I don't have a problem with what you are trying to do!
Thank you!! You made me smile, it probably sounds dumb but I kinda look up to you guys! I'm totally ok with you looking at the ring and saying "damn, thats just ugly" but I'd prefer you not looking at it and saying "damn, she totally ripped off Leon Mege"

I was literally googling "what percentage of a ring is the head" because when I was reading all the old threads here about "inspired by" and "copying" a very very passionate topic on here I found, and they were saying "less than 20%" ... and I know some people are just like "nothing is new, get over it" but I don't want to be a jerk.

So I am an embarrassingly long time lurker, and YOUR DIAMOND makes me constantly question mine because your facets are literally perfect. Mine are ...... not .... so symmetrical to put it mildly. Your diamond makes me feel like a cheater because I drool over it. So I have to not look at your avatar when I read your posts.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I read though it (twice) and agree with you - and I truly feel honored to be part of this community of experts that really takes their time to explain things so thoroughly and thoughtfully. Especially to someone new!

I ACTUALLY CALL IT FRANKENRING!! I photoshopped a sample and literally named the JPG "frankenring" Hahahaha!!

So, I put a response above along these same lines, I understand that the ring will definitely NOT be everyone's taste, just like me being covered in tattoos is definitely not everyone's taste, but I am the one wearing it, and only I need to love it. Like the people in McMansions, you're right, they are AWFUL and I might totally side eye the residents of them and think they're so tacky or gaudy or whatever, but hey, if they're happy, who am i to judge them?

I totally get it, for the people here, you guys are literally experts, I hear you, you're trying to gently and tactfully tell me "DONT DO IT!" and I do appreciate it, but I promise, I won't go mass producing my "monstrosity", i wont even post it! I'm just sad about the ring I have now and want to love it and be happy as I should be when I see it.

I just want to love my ring, and the gorgeous, technically perfect, extremely well crafted ring I am wearing at the moment doesn't make my heart sing the way "frankenring" will hopefully do!

I think as long as you’re making educated decisions you won’t go wrong ::)

By “educated decision” I don’t mean “following all the rules of Art Deco” - I mean knowing what all your options are and actively choosing not just specific elements but how they all fit together. Actively choosing means being able to see all your options and select from them.

That’s where @LLJsmom’s and @diamondseeker2006’s advice comes in - removing precisely who the vendor is from the equation, to make an educated decision you need to work with someone with the design skill and background to create several options and display them in a way that you can appreciate.

The thing is - your tastes in rings, judging just by what you’ve said in this thread thus far, aren’t all that unusual for PS. Really!! So there’s a very good chance that if presented with a variety of options and permitted to choose, you’d choose a chronologically accurate and aesthetically fluid representation. Most of the Frankenrings I spoke of arose because the consumer chose a vendor who did not contribute design opinions or expertise, leaving that consumer to piece design details together on his (or her) own. I am confident most of them would have made alternate selections had they had options to make active choices between.

I don’t have to love your ring, but YOU do! It’s terribly sad that you don’t love your current ring - you should have something that makes you smile every time you see it! The reason for my caution is... I’ve been here a long time and I’ve seen people make a lot of decisions they’ve regretted because they didn’t have the benefit of design expertise... because they chose not to take advantage of that benefit when it was available to them. I’ve personally made decisions I’ve regretted because I chose not to take advantage of design expertise that was available to me. So my advice is to make sure you consider expert opinions - take what opinions resonate and discard what doesn’t, but don’t put yourself in a position where you don’t even get them to begin with.

Last edited:

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Understand your reasons for not posting your finished ring, but hope you do.
Love, love seeing what people come up with and what makes their hearts flutter.
My personal tastes/preferences on their choices be damned.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had said that only because I already chose who I was using, but i just figured let me throw it out to the community and see if anyone else had something cool to add... and also to make sure I wasnt committing a faux pas or 'stealing' because I want to use this Mege basket, I am heavily tattooed and I have had people "steal" my tattoos, and I personally couldnt care less, truly, I'm flattered, but it's a big deal to some artists, so i wanted to be aware of that.

So it' was WAY more about making sure it was OK to use that head/basket design and how to make it more 'antique' looking, and thanks to my "just add milgrain!" friend I am super happy with that idea!

The thing is, I am commissioning a piece, I am wearing it, so if *I* love it, isnt that all that matters? Lets go back to the tattoo analogy, that is a piece of art permanently on my body, so I don't care at all if (the artist) doesn't like it, your job is technical skill, if you dont like the content then you can choose to not do the tattoo and I'll respect that and move on, but their job is not to judge my taste in art or talk me into something they just like better, it's not on their body! I walk out and they never see it again, and I see it every day.

I actually tried to work with a popular designer and yeah, they kept saying "no" about things I wanted, and they talked me into something else.... And so I let them talk me into it. Thats my fault. Thats on me, thats not them at all, i am not mad at them, they did exactly what i agreed to.... but I have been disappointed with it every single day since I got engaged.

I sincerely hope that doesnt come across as rude, but I got talked into something that maybe all the jewelry experts would like because it's 'technically' right... and Im unhappy.

It's like mullets, we all know mullets are wrong, we all snicker at mullets and secretly make fun of mullets with our friends, or take pics when we see one in real life, but that guy is confidently loving his party in the back!
I get it. YOU need to love it. Otherwise, all is for naught.

What I would encourage is whoever you go with, make sure it’s someone you can communicate with and who will give you their honest opinion.so that when you disagree, you and the designer can share why. He/she may have a reason you never thought of. Or it may be a personal preference that you don’t agree with. For example, when I worked with Victor Canera on my setting, I wanted the octagon to be a more cut cornered square. He thought it would look too squat and wanted the corners at NSEW. When he told me why, I understood his reasoning. But I was sure I wanted this current look and we went with “my” way. I have no regrets. I wanted diamonds around the top edge of the basket but he explained that would require more setting space and consequently a higher set diamond. I wanted t as low as possible so I went with his suggestion. Then he suggested scroll engraving instead and I never would have thought of it. I wanted a huge base and he wanted a little one. We compromised on that. It’s hard for a non-designer to anticipate, understand and control every detail so there are decisions that inevitably will be left to artisan. Thus you will want to be sure you and the designer share a similar aesthetic and that you trust him/her. Best of luck.

JJB.Terry

Rough_Rock
Trade
Enjoy the journey in creating YOUR ring the way that you will love it and wear it with love and joy. If we all liked the same things, it would be boring. It took me a long time to figure out what I loved in design elements, as well as for comfort reason, its never mainstream, but if you know what you like and how it should look, then kudos to you for attempting to design the ring of your dreams.

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
I can totally see these two merged.

Something like the Erika Winters head could work if it used the same shape as the top of the shoulder.

1571831450573.png

1571831393268.png

So I have been thinking (read: obsessing, LOL) about this post where you highlighted the edges and ALLI have been seeing since then is "Charlie Brown's Sweater" with the squiggly lines :lol: I cant unsee it!!

So I think I might just do it as a single point on that central one instead of three like this one, but still do all 3 (middle and 2 sides), just less like teeth of a saw:

ANTIQUE EDWARDIAN 1.4CT DIAMOND SOLITAIRE RING IN PLATINUM, EUROPEAN C. 1915
SterlingandGrayGem.jpg

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
Enjoy the journey in creating YOUR ring the way that you will love it and wear it with love and joy. If we all liked the same things, it would be boring. It took me a long time to figure out what I loved in design elements, as well as for comfort reason, its never mainstream, but if you know what you like and how it should look, then kudos to you for attempting to design the ring of your dreams.
Thank you so much!

I am actually enjoying it! I'm not in a rush, I'm still looking at all the antique websites and gathering ideas. i want to get it right this time!

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
I get it. YOU need to love it. Otherwise, all is for naught.

What I would encourage is whoever you go with, make sure it’s someone you can communicate with and who will give you their honest opinion.so that when you disagree, you and the designer can share why. He/she may have a reason you never thought of. Or it may be a personal preference that you don’t agree with. For example, when I worked with Victor Canera on my setting, I wanted the octagon to be a more cut cornered square. He thought it would look too squat and wanted the corners at NSEW. When he told me why, I understood his reasoning. But I was sure I wanted this current look and we went with “my” way. I have no regrets. I wanted diamonds around the top edge of the basket but he explained that would require more setting space and consequently a higher set diamond. I wanted t as low as possible so I went with his suggestion. Then he suggested scroll engraving instead and I never would have thought of it. I wanted a huge base and he wanted a little one. We compromised on that. It’s hard for a non-designer to anticipate, understand and control every detail so there are decisions that inevitably will be left to artisan. Thus you will want to be sure you and the designer share a similar aesthetic and that you trust him/her. Best of luck.
Thats a great point, I am concerned about my idea just not being possible, like the laws of physics wont allow for it! Meaning my angles wont work out. I would definitely take that into consideration if a designer says "No, because I can't make the metal meet then" or whatever. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond! It is definitely food for though, I dont want the ring to sit super high or just not "work".

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
Understand your reasons for not posting your finished ring, but hope you do.
Love, love seeing what people come up with and what makes their hearts flutter.
My personal tastes/preferences on their choices be damned.
It's not that I wouldnt post it, i would love to share - hey if it works out maybe it will give someone hope that they can kinda get everything they want!

Jewelry is SO SO personal, it's like perfume, no two people are going to agree on all the elements and nuances of designs.

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
I think as long as you’re making educated decisions you won’t go wrong ::)

By “educated decision” I don’t mean “following all the rules of Art Deco” - I mean knowing what all your options are and actively choosing not just specific elements but how they all fit together. Actively choosing means being able to see all your options and select from them.

That’s where @LLJsmom’s and @diamondseeker2006’s advice comes in - removing precisely who the vendor is from the equation, to make an educated decision you need to work with someone with the design skill and background to create several options and display them in a way that you can appreciate.

The thing is - your tastes in rings, judging just by what you’ve said in this thread thus far, aren’t all that unusual for PS. Really!! So there’s a very good chance that if presented with a variety of options and permitted to choose, you’d choose a chronologically accurate and aesthetically fluid representation. Most of the Frankenrings I spoke of arose because the consumer chose a vendor who did not contribute design opinions or expertise, leaving that consumer to piece design details together on his (or her) own. I am confident most of them would have made alternate selections had they had options to make active choices between.

I don’t have to love your ring, but YOU do! It’s terribly sad that you don’t love your current ring - you should have something that makes you smile every time you see it! The reason for my caution is... I’ve been here a long time and I’ve seen people make a lot of decisions they’ve regretted because they didn’t have the benefit of design expertise... because they chose not to take advantage of that benefit when it was available to them. I’ve personally made decisions I’ve regretted because I chose not to take advantage of design expertise that was available to me. So my advice is to make sure you consider expert opinions - take what opinions resonate and discard what doesn’t, but don’t put yourself in a position where you don’t even get them to begin with.
Thank you for understanding! I guess I just wanted to get the design and elements kind of set in my head first. I actually feel confident and set on what I want and drew it, so now is the time to approach someone. One of my clients is a jewery designer/caster in NYC so I will approach them first. I originally didnt because they're almost family to me and i worry about offending them if I dont like it! But I will see what they say!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thats a great point, I am concerned about my idea just not being possible, like the laws of physics wont allow for it! Meaning my angles wont work out. I would definitely take that into consideration if a designer says "No, because I can't make the metal meet then" or whatever. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond! It is definitely food for though, I dont want the ring to sit super high or just not "work".

Beware that a lot of designers will say "yes" to things that defy physics to make the sale.

Overly thin shanks are a common example of this. Most vendors will make 1.5mm shanks with pave, or 2.5mm shanks with 3-sided pave, and won't explicitly warn you that you've chosen an excessivly delicate aesthetic that simply will not hold up to real-world wear.

IMO the best vendors are those who just refuse to make pieces they feel can't be worn regularly with reasonable care... Because the reality is that those warnings are usually brushed off.

royalstarrynight

Shiny_Rock
I will echo what many before me have said. Be careful about who you chose if you go down this path esp if you're making up a new design all together and listen to the artist if they reject it. (usually with good reason)

I made the mistake of going with a bench that told me something wasn't possible and didn't have the artistic eye and ended up frustrated with the micromanagement needed. In the end I forfeited the deposit and went to Steven Kirsch- gave minimal instructions (2 pictures, chubby pears with no fish eyes) and was returned a piece of art.

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
I hope it's OK to ask a new question here rather than make a new thread. I tried googling it for like an hour but I couldnt find it.

According to the GIA cert, I purchased an "Old European Brilliant". The dimensions are listed as:
7.97 - 8.36 x 5.42

Why is there a "dash" (-) and not a "by" (x) on those dimensions, why isn't is 7.97 x 8.36 x 5.42 ?

She told me there was damage and a re-cut, is that why? Just curious what it means.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope it's OK to ask a new question here rather than make a new thread. I tried googling it for like an hour but I couldnt find it.

According to the GIA cert, I purchased an "Old European Brilliant". The dimensions are listed as:
7.97 - 8.36 x 5.42

Why is there a "dash" (-) and not a "by" (x) on those dimensions, why isn't is 7.97 x 8.36 x 5.42 ?

She told me there was damage and a re-cut, is that why? Just curious what it means.

i think because the diameter varies depending on where you take the measurement. 7.97 x 8.36 x 5.42 would indicate to me a cushion or other elongated shape. i'm not sure though.

i think she is referring to the "wonkiness" - it not being perfectly round - as a result of the recut

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
i think because the diameter varies depending on where you take the measurement. 7.97 x 8.36 x 5.42 would indicate to me a cushion or other elongated shape. i'm not sure though.

i think she is referring to the "wonkiness" - it not being perfectly round - as a result of the recut
OOOOOHHHHH!!!!! that makes perfect sense!!!! Thank you! Yes, you're right, it is not a perfectly round nor cushion, 'wonky' is an apt description, it's a "cushiony" round shape... LOL

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Also, don’t be put off by learning of ‘damage/recut’ as many true antiques are given a spa day at the brillianteer’s before being set into a new (antique) mounting.

and p.s., Go girl! Get your dream ring!

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
Also, don’t be put off by learning of ‘damage/recut’ as many true antiques are given a spa day at the brillianteer’s before being set into a new (antique) mounting.

and p.s., Go girl! Get your dream ring!
Thank you! I like that analogy, 'spa day' lol!

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
So, thank you for all your guidance. I hated the CAD my client came up with, LOL, it was just .... weird, and not at all like the 2 pics I sent (the ones that are in my first post). The lotus design RockySalamander suggested... they had it bowed out and it sat further out than the diamond, the swoopy crescent basket was like 1 piece instead of 2, but the biggest thing is the prongs. The prongs are REALLY important to me, like the MOST important element. I told them the prongs were the most important. I said double claw prongs,like the Mege and then I went back and said "can you make the double claw prongs with milgrain" per Bludiva's suggestion, and they sent me a standard 6 prong setting, not even claws. So I paid for the CAD and thanked them and said no thank you. LOL.

A couple of you had suggested David Klass on here and I had checked out his instagram, and he had a sapphire with french cut sides with the most perfect milgrain claw prongs!!! So I sent him an email and he quoted me a price (that was less than i expected) and said he'll have a CAD to me today!

Thank you ALL so much for ALL your help!!! You guys have all been so helpful!

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I’m so glad to hear you followed your heart and didn’t give up! I’m sure David will make something completely stunning - many of us count on him. Please do share pics!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, thank you for all your guidance. I hated the CAD my client came up with, LOL, it was just .... weird, and not at all like the 2 pics I sent (the ones that are in my first post). The lotus design RockySalamander suggested... they had it bowed out and it sat further out than the diamond, the swoopy crescent basket was like 1 piece instead of 2, but the biggest thing is the prongs. The prongs are REALLY important to me, like the MOST important element. I told them the prongs were the most important. I said double claw prongs,like the Mege and then I went back and said "can you make the double claw prongs with milgrain" per Bludiva's suggestion, and they sent me a standard 6 prong setting, not even claws. So I paid for the CAD and thanked them and said no thank you. LOL.

A couple of you had suggested David Klass on here and I had checked out his instagram, and he had a sapphire with french cut sides with the most perfect milgrain claw prongs!!! So I sent him an email and he quoted me a price (that was less than i expected) and said he'll have a CAD to me today!

David Klass is the wrong vendor for your project unless you also work with his designer (which seems to not be the norm here on PS - I have no idea why).

Read what I, @LLJsmom, @diamondseeker2006, and others have written about your situation benefitting from choosing a vendor who is going to integrate your ideas into a single cohesive unit with design expertise. Micromanaging the CAD as a newcomer to custom design, which is what you will be doing with David Klass unless you get his designer on board, rarely ends well long-term. I strongly recommend again that you contact Caysie, Erika, and/or Leon.

Tagging @mrs-b who has worked with David Klass many times and has many beautiful pieces by him, and is probably the best person here on PS to advise you re. getting his designer's input.

I'm bowing out of this thread now.

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

You misunderstand how CAD and CAM works.
Claw prongs are never cast that way. Some CAD artists will show them in the CAD - this is just for your visualization, and has nothing to do with how the piece is cast and finished... And also has nothing to do with whether or not the bench is capable of forming precise claw shapes. Whether or not claw prongs appear in the CAD, they are cast as cylinders and later finished into the desired shape. If you want four double prongs, however, the CAD should show four pairs of cylinders - it sounds like they just didn't listen to you.

You also ignore concerns regarding structural integrity.
Cast (molten and poured) gold or platinum is not as strong (in the "resists inelastic deformation" sense) as manually forged (shaped whilst solid) or die struck (hammered into a mould). Cast prongs should never be as thin and delicate as forged prongs a la Leon Mege - if they are they're structurally unsound.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you!! You made me smile, it probably sounds dumb but I kinda look up to you guys! I'm totally ok with you looking at the ring and saying "damn, thats just ugly" but I'd prefer you not looking at it and saying "damn, she totally ripped off Leon Mege"

I was literally googling "what percentage of a ring is the head" because when I was reading all the old threads here about "inspired by" and "copying" a very very passionate topic on here I found, and they were saying "less than 20%" ... and I know some people are just like "nothing is new, get over it" but I don't want to be a jerk.

So I am an embarrassingly long time lurker, and YOUR DIAMOND makes me constantly question mine because your facets are literally perfect. Mine are ...... not .... so symmetrical to put it mildly. Your diamond makes me feel like a cheater because I drool over it. So I have to not look at your avatar when I read your posts.

Oh my, what a sweet thing to say! Thank you so much!

I appreciate your earnest desire to not overstep as far as copying goes! If only more people were like you!

I am not surprised about your first attempt not working since honestly, many or maybe even most bench people don't necessarily have design talent. This is why I'd never go to a local jeweler for custom work. We will see what DK comes up with and whether it is close to what you're aiming for. I have seen excellent CADS from him and other times people are on here asking for help with multiple CAD changes, and in those cases, they chose the wrong jeweler. So we will keep our fingers crossed! But don't feel bad if it turns out that you need to move on.

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
You misunderstand how CAD and CAM works.
Claw prongs are never cast that way. Some CAD artists will show them in the CAD - this is just for your visualization, and has nothing to do with how the piece is cast and finished... And also has nothing to do with whether or not the bench is capable of forming precise claw shapes. Whether or not claw prongs appear in the CAD, they are cast as cylinders and later finished into the desired shape. If you want four double prongs, however, the CAD should show four pairs of cylinders - it sounds like they just didn't listen to you.

You also ignore concerns regarding structural integrity.
Cast (molten and poured) gold or platinum is not as strong (in the "resists inelastic deformation" sense) as manually forged (shaped whilst solid) or die struck (hammered into a mould). Cast prongs should never be as thin and delicate as forged prongs a la Leon Mege - if they are they're structurally unsound.
Thank you for the explanation! You're 100% correct, they just didn't listen at all. Thats why I said "thanks but no thanks" to them and moved on. Just like i would do with any designer who showed me something I didn't want. I made this mistake already where I allowed a designer to convince me I wanted something that I didn't. I will not do that again. I will say, from some angles it was correct and looked exactly as i pictured so just seeing their rendering made me see it's just what I want and definitely possible!

I know the 'finishing' of the prongs is done after as well as milgrain and etching. As i mentioned I have lurked here for probably 8 years, so i have seen tons of the CADs posted here and people's comments on them. I am not a newbie in the sense of I have no idea about jewelry, I am just a newbie because I never post. I actually have had 2 custom pieces done before without a designer, and had to tell them what I wanted exactly down to the MM, and both of those projects came out amazing. Hopefully I have the same experience here!

I appreciate you throwing up the caution flag, and as I said previously I really thought about and read through everyone's comments but I'm confident that this is a design that David can create. I am amazed that people take the time to write out such thoughtful comments based on the experiences they've had. You have to remember, I used one of the designers mentioned here and it did not go well for me.

So, I guess it's kind of like me when I see the train wrecks my friends are involved in and I try to get them to NOT DO whatever it is they're about to do that is a really bad idea... and you're like "why don't you listen to me?! I know what i am talking about!" LOL. You cant stop people from making what you think are bad decisions, you can only advise them.... and maybe be there when they're like "Um, ok, sooooo you were right about that...."... so we will see... is this the train wreck or the time it works out??!! I guess i will find out later today!

Again, i understand this ring might not be what anyone else likes but I'm hoping it will be what I want.

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my, what a sweet thing to say! Thank you so much!

I appreciate your earnest desire to not overstep as far as copying goes! If only more people were like you!

I am not surprised about your first attempt not working since honestly, many or maybe even most bench people don't necessarily have design talent. This is why I'd never go to a local jeweler for custom work. We will see what DK comes up with and whether it is close to what you're aiming for. I have seen excellent CADS from him and other times people are on here asking for help with multiple CAD changes, and in those cases, they chose the wrong jeweler. So we will keep our fingers crossed! But don't feel bad if it turns out that you need to move on.

To be honest I reached out to Erika Winters and was SHOCKED at how much she charges. I can afford a $25k ring but do I want one?! I also feel like I dont need a true designer, even though others may feel I do, because i have a very very clear vision in my head of what i want now. Some people put value on their jewelry and feel it has to be the designer, because they notice the difference in the craftsmanship, because there WILL be a higher level of craftsmanship. I dont feel i will notice the difference. I am not such a connoisseur that i will notice the differences and nuances in the craftsmanship.

It's what you put value on. Some people would never buy a porsche because they dont put value on a car, they don't care enough about it, a car is a car to them. If they get the car they like for less, they're fine with it and it serves their purpose. i have a porsche. I'm not a snob about it, I get that it's not everyone's thing and I DO NOT look down on someone with a different car, I dont care what anyone else has, i only care what I like and what I want. It is something I value and love and i happily spent the money on it, where someone else would be like "Are you out of your mind?! I would never spend that much on a car!" We all value things differently.

So, if David sends me a CAD later that i love and it's what I want, then GREAT! I got exactly what i wanted at a price I am happy to pay! WIN WIN! If he doesnt, then I have to try something else, but I am not sure why I wouldnt just get the CAD from DK when his price is literally half another bench and I love all the work he's posted on IG.

I'm checking it out, I will see what he sends, I'm not out anything by seeing what he comes up with.

Thank you for your reply, I feel like you 'get' me! LOL

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven’t used a designer on any of my rings and, if any of them are considered Frankenring worthy, I live blissfully unaware of that fact. I love them and that’s really all that matters. Having said that, I do enjoy sharing on PS...and not once can I recall anyone tearing down one of my rings. So trust that once your personal masterpiece is complete you can come back and share it and you’ll get plenty of love.

Basically what I’m saying is this. You know what you like so just go for it. You’re the one wearing it. :D

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
mine went straight to CAD from my franken-sketches. I think you'll know once you see the CAD if it's working or not and can decide from there if you need a designer. good luck!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To be honest I reached out to Erika Winters and was SHOCKED at how much she charges. I can afford a $25k ring but do I want one?! I also feel like I dont need a true designer, even though others may feel I do, because i have a very very clear vision in my head of what i want now. Some people put value on their jewelry and feel it has to be the designer, because they notice the difference in the craftsmanship, because there WILL be a higher level of craftsmanship. I dont feel i will notice the difference. I am not such a connoisseur that i will notice the differences and nuances in the craftsmanship.

It's what you put value on. Some people would never buy a porsche because they dont put value on a car, they don't care enough about it, a car is a car to them. If they get the car they like for less, they're fine with it and it serves their purpose. i have a porsche. I'm not a snob about it, I get that it's not everyone's thing and I DO NOT look down on someone with a different car, I dont care what anyone else has, i only care what I like and what I want. It is something I value and love and i happily spent the money on it, where someone else would be like "Are you out of your mind?! I would never spend that much on a car!" We all value things differently.

So, if David sends me a CAD later that i love and it's what I want, then GREAT! I got exactly what i wanted at a price I am happy to pay! WIN WIN! If he doesnt, then I have to try something else, but I am not sure why I wouldnt just get the CAD from DK when his price is literally half another bench and I love all the work he's posted on IG.

I'm checking it out, I will see what he sends, I'm not out anything by seeing what he comes up with.

Thank you for your reply, I feel like you 'get' me! LOL

The juxtaposition of original post concern and current vendor discussion is both bemusing and ironic. I will presume that if you’ve lurked for nearly a decade you’ll understand my raised eyebrows.

My opinions don’t matter. My suggestions also don’t matter, but I seem compelled to make them anyway: If you do nothing else, do reach out to @mrs-b, who has lots of experience working with David Klass and who has many beautiful pieces to show for her relationship with him and Amy. And have a conversation about what you want with Amy.

Last edited:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hallo - Mrs-B (AKA Frenkenrings-R-Us!) here and reporting for duty!

Firstly, let me say, I think DKJ will be able to work out a design for you. While they might not have the exclusive design point of view of some of the other vendors here, what they *do* have is a massive level of expertise from making thousands of rings, excellent benches, and a can-do attitude that gets most projects over the line. Do they ever miss the mark? Very rarely, yes. Does everyone? Also yes. As far as tweaking designs goes, you can either work with Amy at DKJ, or you can bring your CADs here. One criticism I've NEVER heard about DKJ is that anything they made was structurally unsound, so if you come up with a faulty design, I'm sure they'll tell you.

One caution I'd give re that Leon head is that it looks mightily like his M (ie Mege) design, which I've seen on a couple of his pieces in years gone by. I think I'd be asking for a little modification to the basic shape of it, to be sure to avoid that massive pit fall. Please also make sure you tell whichever vendor you decide to work with, where the inspiration designs came from.

For my money, I feel as tho that head and your preferred shank don't flow well together, and I agree with the 'add milgrain!' approach. Would I do more than that to make it run together more smoothly? Probably. :)) Can you share photos of your current engagement ring, the CAD your client did which you didn't like, and a link to the DKJ sapphire ring with the shank you like?

If there's any help I can give, pls let me know. And if you'd rather do this entirely by yourself with whichever vendor you prefer and only share with us when you have your 'taa daaa!' moment - we'll look forward to that, too, and in the meantime wish you well and - happy designing! :wavey:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just for OP's benefit here - there is nothing Frankenring whatsoever about any of @mrs-b's pieces ::)

That terminology was admittedly poorly done of me: it conveyed my intent with rather too much precision! I was thinking of two pieces in particular and I'm reasonably confident the posters are no longer active. They were both long sagas, detailed here on the forum, of specific demands and vendor recommendation rejections and outsourcing design to PS... and ultimately both posters decided they weren't happy with their pieces and had them remade. Into designs that were much closer to what both PSers and those vendors had originally suggested. Cautionary tales!

I'm glad you saw this thread @mrs-b. I think OP will benefit tremendously from your input. I can't think of anyone else who has the relationship with her chosen vendor that you do, or who has the history of successes with any single vendor (who happens, conveniently enough, to be her chosen vendor) that you do.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results