shape
carat
color
clarity

Inspiration- 2 Stone Ring with Odd Size Stones?

cinnamoose

Rough_Rock
About a year ago Pricescope folks helped point me in the direction of a nice .67 ct L VS2 OEC stone from Diamondzone. I had it sent to me in a thin, temporary rose gold setting that they had available. It was going to be used to replace my amethyst wedding ring, but sentimentality won out, and the diamond has become a right hand ring for me. It has been a great little diamond and I'm super happy with how bright this stone faces up even with the lower body color. The setting it came in hasn't fared as well though. The prongs catch everything in sight and the stone is shifting around and now lies crooked in the mount. I've also grown REALLY tired of the rose gold.

My amethyst wedding ring was made by a goldsmith friend of my husband's so I went back to her to create a new setting for the diamond. I brought in other loose stones I had as well, just to see what she might come up with. She used my diamond (~5.6mm) and another 8mm round and drew a stylized 'M' using the 2 stones (my maiden name, new last name, husband's name, and 3 of my kids' names all begin with M). The metal wraps around the stones so they end up being about 2/3 bezel set and would have a small fish tail-esque prong on the open side. Since it is a more modern look and the stones are OEC she said she could add some milgrain to give a nod to the vintage cut of the stones. I loved the idea of using the 2 odd sized stones together and creating something that wasn't so engagement-y. I'm not sure I'm sold on the M design though. She's carving up a quick wax for me, but I wanted to do some more homework before committing 100%.

Has anyone seen any 2 stone rings with stones that aren't the same size or that aren't the usual bypass style? I see tons of the vintage and bypass style rings but virtually all have same sized stones.

Thanks!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess I am too much of a visual person and am having a hard time visualizing this new ring you are talking about without some pictures.

Could you find another diamond similar to the one you have and make a three stone ring with the amethyst as the center stone?

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP, are any of these helpful to you?

2671b-455.jpg

cham0000435.png

two_cab_ring_-_1_-_77a79167-da9d-4c2c-a049-410e9ae300f8_43.jpg

cinnamoose

Rough_Rock
marymm|1466647799|4046948 said:
OP, are any of these helpful to you?
Thanks marymm, yes that's the kind of thing I'm looking for. I do have some oblong stones the goldsmith could do something with so that first sapphire ring is super helpful.

MissGotRocks|1466641456|4046924 said:
I guess I am too much of a visual person...
MrsGotRocks- I am totally the same way. I wasn't sure how else to describe it lol so I had her send me the drawing. It would be made to sit at an angle on my right ring finger. I was a little worried about the 'swoop' in the middle of the two stones catching on things but she told me that it will be low to the finger like the band. I know rings generally look better IRL than they do in the initial drawings or CAD. The small circles is where she said she could texture or add milgrain. The band underneath would be a 'version' of the euro type and flat. My original wedding ring is like this underneath and it is incredibly comfortable and keeps the ring from spinning around. I'm still not sure how this would look on the finger but I'm hoping the wax will blow me away. If it doesn't I wanted to atleast have some other ideas in mind.

img_20160622_150209.jpg

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
From what I can see of the ring from this drawing, I absolutely love it. I gather the smaller stone is your diamond? If so - what is the larger stone?

I love pieces like this which are true jewelry art. Unique and beautiful and you'll never see another one quite like it. I also particularly like rings with multiple 'main' stones - cross over rings, 3 stone rings, moi et toi rings - and so on. And I adore offset rings! So this hits it out of the park for me, personally. The question is - does it do it for YOU? When things are heavily personalized, there will always be people who aren't fond of it, and if you submit something like this to a large group for opinions, you can sometimes end up with something more watered down and generic that hits all bases for all people. But then it loses its unique appeal. So I say, if you like this, and if it's 'you' - go for it! I think it's fab. :appl:

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just looked up Google images of "2-stone rings." Load of pictures come up - many have same sized stones, but not all. Some looks cool, others not so much - but LOTS of food for thought!

cinnamoose

Rough_Rock
mrs-blop|1466694140|4047099 said:
From what I can see of the ring from this drawing, I absolutely love it.

Thanks so much! My goldsmith and I have this weird relationship. I say I want a new ring, I bring stones in, she looks at them, and then just starts drawing. :) She knows enough about me to make things that have personal touches and that are always so unique. Luckily, we both love organic styles and lots of metal presence.

The smaller stone in the drawing is my diamond. I also brought in a 6mm sapphire, a 6mm aquamarine, about a carat worth of tiny baguette diamonds, a nice 9x7 light yellow elongated cushion from WinkCZ and the 8MM OEC- which is that doubly refractive stone that isn't to be mentioned here on the forums. ;)) My goldsmith actually suggested using the 8mm OEC. She said she actually likes working with that gem material and that it would match back nicely to my L colored diamond of the same cut.

She pays attention to all the viewing angles of a ring so I'm curious to see how the profile views end up. I do like the design and am really hoping I get that 'wow' feeling when I go check out the wax. I think I was just worried about that little swoop getting caught on things. We haven't really decided on metal yet. I've found that I am not a rose gold fan at all. My wedding ring is in Stuller's X1 white gold and I love that metal. I'm not gentle on my wedding ring and it looks great after almost 5years and wearing it 24/7. Yellow gold seems to be rarer these days and I'm kinda missing it, so I'm slightly leaning toward that or maybe some combo of white and yellow if it works with this design.

I'm also a huge fan of the moi et toi rings. I think they're super romantic. We almost did a version of one using an oval rhodolite garnet (hubby's birthstone) with my amethyst pear, but in the end we felt the amethyst had enough presence on its own and chose to do a small 'surprise' rhodolite stone instead.

Sounds like we love alot of the same elements, mrs-blop!

SandyCheeks

Brilliant_Rock
I have a two stone with different sized diamonds . One from my husband and the other is from my MIL. I think your ring will be beautiful come back and show us when it's done!

_4367.jpeg

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like the inspiration drawing - good thing I had something to see because I was conjuring up something totally different in my mind - ha! It looks beautiful and unique! My MIL had a mother's ring along those same lines - her birthstone was the largest and her five kid's birthstones circled around it with a flip at the end. It was very pretty and uniquely hers!

I think you are on to something there - can't wait to see what you end up with!!

FightGravity

Shiny_Rock
Those swirls look like they will catch on things. It's a cool idea, though!

What about using the baguettes to make an octagonal halo?

_1250.png

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't have a problem at all with the two different size stones. I like SandyCheek's ring a lot! I am not liking how she did the M, though. I have seen initials done well in the gallery or basket area of a ring, but I honestly think there are parts of her design that will definitely catch on things.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results