shape
carat
color
clarity

Inspection tmrw but need a backup plan

Heidibrooke

Shiny_Rock
I ordered this 1.08 G SI1 as part of an upgrade. I’m having it inspected tomorrow. If it doesn’t “pass” inspection, I have another diamond on hold (1.08 H VS2). I’d rather not pay $580 more for a 1 clarity grade better/1 color lower if I don’t have to. I am somewhat sensitive to color. The H has some warmth to me.

I will link both below. I would appreciate feedback on the one I am holding as a potential plan B.
Both pass HCA, at 1.4 and 0.9.

The one I’m having inspected tmrw:

AAC0D485-5154-4641-8943-60B46518CA33.jpeg

Backup diamond:

Can’t link it because it’s on hold.

04FD4DCE-0BFC-4676-8A93-0A7C954BC569.png 9DAD0D67-207D-443C-989E-EE4E594A3D93.png CDCCECDC-8A3C-471D-85E1-F2112744F0C8.png

Thanks for any advice/opinions you may offer.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The second one is ideal cut. You may notice a difference in color, though. I do prefer the cut of the H, and if the color was okay, I'd pay the extra for the better cut. Were there not any G's that were better cut?

Heidibrooke

Shiny_Rock
The second one is ideal cut. You may notice a difference in color, though. I do prefer the cut of the H, and if the color was okay, I'd pay the extra for the better cut. Were there not any G's that were better cut?

I didn’t see any G’s in my price range that had an idealscope image (only provided with their TH brand), and VS2 clarity. I see plenty of SI1’s with a range of colors in my price range.

May I ask what makes the H a better cut? Are the angles better than the G? I assumed the G had a really nice cut and was more concerned with its clarity than its actual cut. I readily admit that I have so much to learn about this stuff. Thanks for your time!

Heidibrooke

Shiny_Rock
@flyingpig

Would you mind taking a look at the stats of the diamond I have on hold? I’m anxious to hear from the inspector on the G stone. If it’s eye clean and has great fire/brilliance, would you go with it or is the H a better choice, even if it’s a little warm in color? I hope it’s ok to tag you and ask for your help.

Heidibrooke

Shiny_Rock
Update!! Manager called and the diamond was inspected this morning. It is eye clean and the inclusions have no impact on the performance. It has no hazy, milky, or cloudy effect and excellent fire and brilliance. The gemologist that did the inspection is one that doesn’t cut any corners and is very forthcoming, I’m told. So I am proceeding with the purchase and it should be here 2/25. I will have 30 days to exchange should I find any issues with it.

Thanks everyone!

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Update!! Manager called and the diamond was inspected this morning. It is eye clean and the inclusions have no impact on the performance. It has no hazy, milky, or cloudy effect and excellent fire and brilliance. The gemologist that did the inspection is one that doesn’t cut any corners and is very forthcoming, I’m told. So I am proceeding with the purchase and it should be here 2/25. I will have 30 days to exchange should I find any issues with it.

Thanks everyone!

Good news.
Again, no need to get anxious.
You still have 30 days. There are plenty of great diamonds if you decide to return.

Thanks everyone!

Phew! Such a relief once a decision has been made. 2/25 will be coming up soon!!

Heidibrooke

Shiny_Rock
Latest update: Since I’ve been so indecisive, my husband told me I should order the other diamond (loose) just to compare. I couldn’t argue with that reasoning. So both diamonds should be here soon.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Latest update: Since I’ve been so indecisive, my husband told me I should order the other diamond (loose) just to compare. I couldn’t argue with that reasoning. So both diamonds should be here soon.

You are now assured of being able to make the best decision for you. Nice move.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
This is the ideal situation! Can't wait to hear which one is the winner!

Aw, he knows you so well *tear*

Heidibrooke

Shiny_Rock
Received the loose diamond today. This is the 1.08 H VS2 ID ID, True Hearts. It’s stunning.

Can’t wait to compare it to the 1.08 G SI1 EX EX True Hearts tomorrow. I’m thinking now that I will see the inclusions even though it’s eye clean.

It came with a scope to see the H&As, and I tried to get a good pic but it’s hard to do. This was with my iPhone, so it’s far from perfect.
98D45731-8204-4DB0-98CA-746295BAA97B.jpeg

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You did a great job with the H&A viewer. What did you mean by "I will see the inclusions even though it’s eye clean"?

Heidibrooke

Shiny_Rock
You did a great job with the H&A viewer. What did you mean by "I will see the inclusions even though it’s eye clean"?

Thanks! My vision isn’t perfect but I feel like I will be able to see the black crystal under the table. The gemologist said it’s eye clean 8-10” and I will be thrilled if that’s the case. Now that I’m seeing a diamond of the exact same size, I can see inside and all around so clearly. What are your thoughts? Do you think the inclusions (especially the crystal on top) will be visible?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When you get it tomorrow, take it into many different lighting conditions (particularly the ones that you're usually in) and rock it from side to side and see if you can find the inclusion. Even if you can't find it, does it bother you knowing it's there?

Heidibrooke

Shiny_Rock
T
When you get it tomorrow, take it into many different lighting conditions (particularly the ones that you're usually in) and rock it from side to side and see if you can find the inclusion. Even if you can't find it, does it bother you knowing it's there?

I will do that, thanks! If I don’t see it, I’m totally fine with it being there. ☺️

Heidibrooke

Shiny_Rock
Received the G today. It’s equally stunning. I have strained my eyes trying to find an inclusion and I simply can’t. I’ve been in natural light, diffused light, direct/indirect sunlight, LED lighting. I cannot see anything.

The only real difference I can see between the two is the very slight difference in color, and it’s so minimal.

It was more difficult to try to get a photo of the G with the H&A viewer because of it being mounted. I will attach a couple photos of the G.

[ 0F26786D-E328-43EC-9AD2-3673BA6E023B.jpeg ATTACH]816884[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• 6A28CCF8-C159-44E0-9DF4-06D1ABF8E5E5.jpeg
    6A28CCF8-C159-44E0-9DF4-06D1ABF8E5E5.jpeg
    64.4 KB · Views: 14

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's wonderful that you can't find the inclusion. Have you compared their performance side-by-side in the various lighting conditions? Since you say the color difference is minimal, I would go with the one that returns more fire and brilliance in your usual environments.

Heidibrooke

Shiny_Rock
That's wonderful that you can't find the inclusion. Have you compared their performance side-by-side in the various lighting conditions? Since you say the color difference is minimal, I would go with the one that returns more fire and brilliance in your usual environments.

Thanks! That’s exactly what I’m planning to do. I’m also going to have my husband and teenagers take them both into different lighting and give me their unbiased opinions. As far as my eyes can tell, they both have amazing fire and brilliance. I’m ok with either one. Both have exceeded my expectations.

I noticed one thing that I didn’t love about the H, I noticed a facet on top that goes dark as I rotate it, like one slice of pie (for lack of a better way to describe), and I don’t know if that’s due to the angles or if it’s because of the metal grabber device it’s being held by.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So glad to hear they are both great performers! Sounds like you can't really go wrong.

Does the facet go dark if the H is loose on your hand, or if you change its position within the diamond holder?

Heidibrooke

Shiny_Rock
So glad to hear they are both great performers! Sounds like you can't really go wrong.

Does the facet go dark if the H is loose on your hand, or if you change its position within the diamond holder?

I haven’t looked at it out of the diamond holder, but I have changed its position. Here is a photo of the dark facet, as it’s being rotated. Might be totally normal. 4ED6E0E0-4DD1-4168-ADD5-8C7BDFD1723D.jpeg

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Which facet?
I haven’t looked at it out of the diamond holder, but I have changed its position. Here is a photo of the dark facet, as it’s being rotated. Might be totally normal. 4ED6E0E0-4DD1-4168-ADD5-8C7BDFD1723D.jpeg

You are over-analysing from that angle.
But, if you typically view diamonds from that angle and if you do not like the appearance, that is reasonable assessment and observation.

Heidibrooke

Shiny_Rock
Which facet?

You are over-analysing from that angle.
But, if you typically view diamonds from that angle and if you do not like the appearance, that is reasonable assessment and observation.

Over-analyzing is an understatement. I had a headache all night from eye strain, I’m assuming.

It definitely wouldn’t be a factor in my decision. It was just something I noticed. Both are so stunning and look so similar that I’m having to nitpick to even see subtle differences.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have assessed light performance and inclusions.
To assess cloudiness, take both stones to a strong light source. Look for any scattering of light, especially in the G. Think of the difference between strong light reflected off of clean mirror and slightly dirty mirror. Also view from the side. Think of the difference betwen clean water and water with a half drop of milk.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results