shape
carat
color
clarity

Input Please: Stacking Ring CADs for my 40th Birthday

Django74th

Shiny_Rock
Hi All,
I'm doing my first project for my upcoming 40th birthday and would love some opinions. I've been slowly collecting small, rare gemstones and my plan is to create stacking rings with them. I'm starting with 4 rings this year (for my 40th) and then will collect a new stone and make a new ring each year for my birthday going forward so I can mix and match. I've already engaged DK and we've gone through a few CADs. I'd love the benefit everyone's aesthetic and expertise.

Here are the specs of the stones I have (I'll attach better pictures later):
  1. Demantoid (Russia) – 4.4mm; round; 0.38 carat
  2. Paraiba Tourmaline (Brazil) – 7.63 x 3.52mm; marquis; 0.40 carat
  3. Cobalt Spinel (Vietnam) – 4.84 x 3.52mm; cushion; 0.40 carat (with GIA) - has a window but the color is gorgeous!
  4. Bright Red/Pink Spinel (Burma) – 4.7mm; round; 0.47 carat
I asked DK to base the design on another ring he did (see below) and he came up with the following CADs. I like the "architectural look" of the engraved lines -- is it going to look too busy IRL? Also, I'm trying to decide what metal(s) to use. I frequently wear white, yellow and rose gold so I was thinking about making each one a different metal but couldn't decide. Do you think certain gemstones/colors coordinate better with certain metals?

DK says that the bezel will be thinner and less chunky in real life -- I would like plenty of light to come through while still protecting the stones. Any other input on the CADs is welcome and much appreciated! Thanks all! IMG_0157.PNG DK 62636-QUAD-5.jpg DK 62636-QUAD.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0128.JPEG
    IMG_0128.JPEG
    147.2 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it sounds and looks lovely!

Do you want help matching the metal to each stone...? I see three metals and four stones. I'm a sucker for unplated nickel-free white gold. And I do not see rose gold in the CADs...

Django74th

Shiny_Rock
@LilAlex - DK just guessed on metals for now since I was still deciding. I’d LOVE some opinions on metals and anything else you see in the CADs that may need a tweak. I don’t mind if the metals are not even (as in 2 yellow, 1 white, 1 rose) since I’ll be adding in the future and can always balance it out.

Also, I just realized the last picture is of the wrong paraiba. I’ll be using a marquis shape rather than the oval shown. The oval has a pretty big window and doesn’t have any depth so I found a marquis instead,

Leigh10

Shiny_Rock
You might want to consider smaller eternity rings to use occasionally as dividers for a different, yet attention-getting presence. Top quality .01 -.03 pt stones in an eternity band can add flash to your other colored gemstones. Also, consider adding a trilliant cut for a modern twist to the collection. What you have already selected looks fantastic! Best wishes and happy 40th!

Django74th

Shiny_Rock
@Leigh10 -- Ahhhh, yes. I love this idea. I was wanting to add a little flash but didn't want to add diamonds to the rings and take away from the stones. I love this alternative

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Love the asymmetrical marquise! I have stackers in yellow, rose, and platinum. The white metal stands out a lot and I ended up giving it away to replace it with another warm color stacker. What about 14k AND 18k in both yellow and rose? Or can you pull off green gold? Or, have 2 of the 4 be white, to give it a more cohesive look when stacked. That's just me though. I usually love mixing metals.

And is your ring size for a thick stack correct? I ask because it is a tradeoff between too tight when stacked or too loose when worn solo. The idea of smaller eternity rings will help keep them from falling off if worn solo. Anyways, love love love this project.

Django74th

Shiny_Rock
@737lizakg -- Good call about the metal warmth and white gold standing out too much. I think that would bug me too and I prefer yellow/rose gold anyway so I'll happily stick with those. Great! One decision down, no white gold, only 50 more decisions to go :)

Does anyone have a picture that compares 14k and 18k yellow gold? I have 14k and 18k rings but I'm not sure I'm notice a visible difference. I'm curious if certain stones noticeably look better in one vs the other.

I'm thinking rose gold for the demantoid... the others are still TBD...

For sizing, I'm thinking this will be for my third finger which is normally a 5.25 so I was thinking if I made them all 5.5, then it would be fine. I likely won't wear them solo and I'm planning to take the idea from @Leigh10 to get some spacers which would be 5.25 to help keep them in place.

Do I need to make 2 rings smaller and 2 rings larger, or making them all a quarter size larger than my normal size should be fine?

Last edited:

crystalinmke

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I actually own the bezel ring that you posted (it's pictured in my avatar too)! If you'd like more pictures, I'd be happy to post more but I'll say that the engraved lines don't look busy to me at all (maybe I'm biased lol). I think it adds a really nice texture that isn't overwhelming and still keeps the ring really simple.

Oh and I loooove this idea! I can't wait to see it!

Django74th

Shiny_Rock
@crystalinmke - thanks SO much for the input (and the original inspiration that took me this direction). Your ring jumped out at me immediately on DK’s Instagram — so beautiful!

I’ll update once I have some new pics to share!

Django74th

Shiny_Rock
YAY!!! I received pictures of my rings from DK today. I'm SO excited! I'm analyzing (and over-analyzing) to see if there's anything I want to modify before we consider this complete. The only thing I'm thinking is possibly adding some engraving to the side/vertical part of the bezel (see second and last photos -- the gold is about 2mm thick). At the same time, I also like the simplicity of the smooth gold. Input please! Save me from staring at this all night long! Would you change or add anything?

Attachments

• Rings.JPG
    Rings.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 34
  • Rings 2.JPG
    Rings 2.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 33
  • Rings 3.JPG
    Rings 3.JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 34
  • Rings 4.JPG
    Rings 4.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 31
  • Rings 5.JPG
    Rings 5.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 30
  • Rings 1.JPG
    Rings 1.JPG
    25.9 KB · Views: 32

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Your stack is gorgeous! It’s so colorful and I love the way you arranged the different shapes. Love it! :love:

Leigh10

Shiny_Rock
GORGEOUS! I would suggest some engraving (it will hide light scratches down the road). ENJOY!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous!!! I would leave it as is. Very elegant. The Stones have enough presence. Love the clean lines

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous!!! I would leave it as is. Very elegant. The Stones have enough presence. Love the clean lines

This!

What an amazing stacking project! I absolutely love how they’ve turned out. The stones sit beautifully together.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Totally agree. Beautiful as they are.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
My word, I just love them.
The color pop and the shoulder detail!
They make me happy to look at them.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Super cute and fun!!! And so versatile! Awesome project! Happy Birthday!!

Django74th

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all the input. I decided to leave them as is. This was a little too much fun and addicting... how do all of you have any sense of self discipline?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results