shape
carat
color
clarity

Input on this EC?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
So, I have a friend eying this specific EC. To ME it looks lovely, I would like a better ASET, less blue, but the IS, to me, looks nice. I feel like the two images compete. Maybe I am misreading this stuff, because stepcuts are not my bread and butter.

The vendor and I both think it is a really nice EC, but, again, some obstruction in the middle.

I think I am second-guessing myself on this, in part, because I am not as solid on steps as I feel like I should be, and I want some reinforcement.

4948_gia-7231004780-aset.jpg

5859_gia-7231004780-ideal.jpg

5563_gia-7231004780-di.jpg

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
(There are some asymmetries, I can tell.
.93cts,
Symmetry: Very Good, Size (mm): 6.44×4.54×2.90
Ratio: 1.42
Depth: 63.9%
Table: 63.0%

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha, Ame I just posted an awesome EC from JA that I ordered in and decided wasn't for me. The thread is in RT, check it out. ASET and specs included. It's a .73ct, but it faces up almost as large as the one you are posting (6.25 x 4.5). It's an F VVS1 too boot, with a great ASET (lots more red than the one you posted).

It shows sold on the site, but my return was just posted today so it should be available again soon.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
rainydaze|1474641946|4079923 said:
Ha, Ame I just posted an awesome EC from JA that I ordered in and decided wasn't for me. The thread is in RT, check it out. ASET and specs included. It's a .73ct, but it faces up almost as large as the one you are posting (6.25 x 4.5). It's an F VVS1 too boot, with a great ASET (lots more red than the one you posted).

It shows sold on the site, but my return was just posted today so it should be available again soon.
Is it something another vendor can get though?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Going to try to grab it. She apparently already approved the other for production in a bezel setting today, so if that can be halted, and they can bring that one in instead, it might be worth it.

I am trying to figure out what I missed in this one vs the one you're showing me, besides this table being much smaller.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Were you able to get it? I hope so!

I didn't know a ton about ECs going into this, but I watched a lot of videos and read a lot of threads. They are tough cookies to figure out! I think it was Gypsy who said, in threads I came across, that you can't judge ECs by the numbers at all. Gyspy referenced Jon saying somewhere ASETs don't tell the full story on ECs either (I went in search of that information and found a video that I think she was talking about). My understanding is if the ASET looks promising, and then the pics look promising, then you look at the numbers and if they're not somehow scary, the next step is to see it in person.

I was looking to put this in a bezel, too. DS cautioned me against that (for ECs) though. I didn't find out why exactly, but in further learning about step cuts, here is my best guess: the green in ASETs is ambient light coming from the horizon, so a bezel is going to block a lot of that light. ECs have a lot more green (especially the one you posted) so you're going to lose a lot by putting it in a bezel. I did come across several ECs in bezels though, and I love the look (because of the shape and overall effect). I didn't come across any discussion of how bezels specifically affect the light return in ECs, though. Just FYI, since your friend is putting hers in a bezel.

ETA: Even this gorgeous EC had a quiet presence most of the time, so a bezel is going to further emphasize that. I'm not sure if you lose the occasional broad flashes and even more occasional broad fire with a bezel, but I suspect it's possible. If she doesn't mind that and is after an EC in a bezel of the emphasis of the shape and overall look, then she's good to go.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
She isn't able to, but it also sounds like they're already working with the other one to get it set. I am not terribly concerned with this stone, I just really wanted to know why (other than the issues with symmetrical facets, which could also be a result of photography) there was a battle with the images and what I might not be seeing. A lot of this is me being analytical, and second guessing everything I do. The numbers obviously tell no story with a fancy, there's just a "they're in a good range" situation, but you can't just pick something based on images and numbers. There's a lot of "you have to see it." The vendor gave a good report, but obviously, there are probably better choices, then again, there's ALWAYS a better choice just around the corner, in every shape and every circumstance (lol)

I do know that with bezeling--really any shape--there's a lot of ambient light that will likely be lost, and an overall change in how the light plays in the stone. I mean, we all know that light is supposed to come in and back out of the top, right? Well, obviously there is more going on with the girdle and pavilion faceting and how that affects the view from the top in almost every shape and some settings can impact that in some way.

I just was fighting with this all night after we talked about this, and I was like "ok, I need to get reinforcement on this, either that I picked a reasonably decent stone, or I need to retake some training on steps. Sounds like it is a mixed bag on that one.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah, gotcha! Well, hopefully others with more experience and better eyes will stop in with their knowledge. It was fun trying to learn what I could and attempt it on my own, but at the end of the day if I decide to stick with the step cut situation, I'm just going to go straight to GOG.

I hope your friend loves her ring, and I for one would love to see it if she's inclined to post it when it's done!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
rainydaze|1474661883|4080070 said:
Ah, gotcha! Well, hopefully others with more experience and better eyes will stop in with their knowledge. It was fun trying to learn what I could and attempt it on my own, but at the end of the day if I decide to stick with the step cut situation, I'm just going to go straight to GOG.

I hope your friend loves her ring, and I for one would love to see it if she's inclined to post it when it's done!
It's a necklace actually, like a bezel dbty single stone one. I think it's going to be AMAZEBALLS.

For most fancies I am 100% GOG. I think JA tends to have a good selection too but getting the images tends to be a PITA.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes! Oh my gosh, JA has so many options but without the ASETs posted, a limit of three, and most of the ones I would have wanted more info on *not* in the district so that they could even provide ASETs, it makes it so hard to figure out what's what.

And that sounds like it's going to be gorgeous! Ring... necklace... I still hope we get to see it! :razz:

LawmaLlama

Shiny_Rock
Hi Ame, speaking as a longtime owner of ECs for 13 years, diamondseeker is right about not getting a bezel. They do not sparkle like a MRB. The girdle lets in alot of light for an EC. By bezeling, the broad flashes or mirroring effect may be impeded. Also, depending on the metal used I would be concerned over time about the possibility of accidentally bumping a corner of the bezel and cracking the diamond on a corner but not seeing it until a reset or maintenance with a jeweler.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results