shape
carat
color
clarity

Initial Pendants

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

WishfulThinking

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone,

I have been wanting to get a cute sterling silver initial pendant for awhile now, but I can''t find any that I like! I am looking for a pendant that has the letter in script rather than engraved on a circle or other shaped pendant. I was inspired by the Tiffany initial necklaces, but unfortunately I don''t like the way the letter of my name looks in that line. It is the ONLY one I don''t like! My first and last initials are both M, so I don''t have many options in the diversity section.
20.gif
I tried looking online a few places but can''t find anything cute. Any thoughts or suggestions on where to look? I am hoping to spend in the $75 range, even though I know the Tiffany version is a lot more than that. If you have suggestions that are over that pricerange feel free to post and tempt me!

This is the Tiffany inspiration: http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Item.aspx?sku=GRP00330&mcat=148204&cid=316221&search_params=s+5-p+18-c+316221-r+-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+
If you click to view the M you can either agree it''s not the prettiest one or tell me I''m delusional.
28.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Wishful, have you searched on etsy?
Even if a seller has ones only on circles etc, you can get pretty cheap custom.

I would ask Jen Casady- she has great quality.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock

WishfulThinking

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the suggestions, arjunajane! I am looking for something very simple and that would match with everything. I usually love unique, but for some reason I''ve got a hankering for a Tiffany knockoff.
20.gif
3.gif

Your idea to search on Etsy was a great one! I found this that I really like:
This one!
What do you guys think? I prefer the shape of this M to the Tiff''s one for some odd reason.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
You''re very welcome , I love looking around there.infact while I was looking for you I found like three more things I want to buy, lol..

I really like that one, and it seems just what you''re looking for. However, I may just ask how it sits on, as in some of the pics it looks a tiny bit awkward, imho..?

Did you find any other contenders?

WishfulThinking

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/24/2009 6:11:35 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady
I have the Tiff one. My daughter bought it for me about a year and a half ago for my Mother''s Day/Birthday gift. I love it, I just wish the chain were 20'' instead of 16''.
Does your name start with M SDL? I can''t remember if off the top of my head! If so, I must be imagining my dislike of the M shape. You have great taste.
1.gif

WishfulThinking

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/24/2009 4:58:56 AM
Author: arjunajane
You''re very welcome , I love looking around there.infact while I was looking for you I found like three more things I want to buy, lol..

I really like that one, and it seems just what you''re looking for. However, I may just ask how it sits on, as in some of the pics it looks a tiny bit awkward, imho..?

Did you find any other contenders?
I don''t mind it hanging a bit on the diagonal, actually. I would like to see a picture of how it looks from further away, so I am going to message the seller about it. The great thing about etsy is that everyone is SO nice! Thanks for all of your help.

I didn''t find any other contenders, but I am still looking around!

WishfulThinking

Brilliant_Rock
Okay people, you''ve sold me. Someday when I can afford it I''ll be getting the Tiffany version.
9.gif
I trust your sense of style way more than I trust my own!

Thanks for all of the suggestions, though.

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Wishful, I love the Tiffany letter pendants! I would save up for that one too.

WishfulThinking

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for weighing in, snlee! Another PSer with great taste whose vote goes to the Tiffany version. I looooove your new ring, by the way. It''s gorgeous! Wait... oh my goodnes... is that your little one wearing it in your av picture?! So adorable!
30.gif

blinkydoll

Brilliant_Rock
try stickyJ theirs is $26.95
looks just like the other one you were mentioning.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
For Christmas, I was given an initial pendant from Tiff. It is the medium size and believe it is on the 18 inch chain. Truth be told, I wanted the small version, but that is my only complaint. I had searched for "knock offs" and I did find a few that looked close, but when I enlarged the picture, they did look cheap. If you can, try to save up for the Tiff version, you will be so happy, as it is worth it.

blinkydoll

Brilliant_Rock
here it is

Mpenstick.jpg

WishfulThinking

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for weighing in, omieluv. I have been looking for knockoffs too, but I am starting to believe all of the fuss about the Tiff silver being much nicer than other silver stuff. I do have some other necklaces in much cheaper silver and I am positive I would be able to tell the difference. I do think it would be worth it to have something really really *nice.*

blinkydoll, that does look exactly like the one! Thank you for the suggestion and for posting the picture.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
It all just depends on what you value and what you feel is worth spending your money on. If you just want a cute initial pendant that looks like the Tiff style and really do not care so much regarding quality, then go for the one Binky posted, which looks much nicer than what I had found. However, if you are looking for something that will last a while & you are really over the moon about it, save up for the Tiff style. Or I suppose you could by the knock off to see if you would wear it enough to justify spending the money on a Tiff style (assuming the knock off is in the $20-$40 range). What I have found is that Tiff silver does tarnish, not so much with my rings, more with my necklaces. I think they charge $10 to polish it like new in my area, however, I am trying to figure out what I can do to polish it myself.

blinkydoll

Brilliant_Rock
"It all just depends on what you value and what you feel is worth spending your money on. If you just want a cute initial pendant that looks like the Tiff style and really do not care so much regarding quality, then go for the one Binky posted, which looks much nicer than what I had found. However, if you are looking for something that will last a while & you are really over the moon about it, save up for the Tiff style. Or I suppose you could by the knock off to see if you would wear it enough to justify spending the money on a Tiff style (assuming the knock off is in the $20-$40 range). What I have found is that Tiff silver does tarnish, not so much with my rings, more with my necklaces. I think they charge $10 to polish it like new in my area, however, I am trying to figure out what I can do to polish it myself. "

I agree
I have the small double tiff hearts silver pendant... one has return to tiff etc.. the other has my husbands and my initials.
And the silver seems to be a better quality silver than Any other silver thing I have had in the past.
And it feels more special to wear
1.gif
in my opinion
2.gif

WishfulThinking

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the suggestions, guys! I agree it really is about what each person feels is worth spending the money for. I thought I would be interested in having one that just *looked* the same, but I have found myself wondering about the quality. Perhaps I will have to go visit a Tiffany's store to find out.
31.gif

I do have an inkling that it might feel a little more special to me if it were the Tiff version.
12.gif
Oh, I've gone and admitted it too!
9.gif

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/25/2009 3:14:24 PM
Author: omieluv
I am trying to figure out what I can do to polish it myself.
The silversmith way: put a piece of aluminum foil in a small sauce pan, place the silver piece on top and cover with warm/hot/boiling water with about a spoon of baking soda (I boil the piece unless it has a stone, then it gets warm or hot water depending on the stone type). Let it sit for a few minutes.

The aluminum is more reactive than silver, so the ions that cause the tarnish will move to the foil, leaving the silver clean. Of course, this doesn´t remove scratches but if tarnish is the only problem, the piece will look like new.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/25/2009 4:21:13 PM
Author: Lady_Disdain

The silversmith way: put a piece of aluminum foil in a small sauce pan, place the silver piece on top and cover with warm/hot/boiling water with about a spoon of baking soda (I boil the piece unless it has a stone, then it gets warm or hot water depending on the stone type). Let it sit for a few minutes.

The aluminum is more reactive than silver, so the ions that cause the tarnish will move to the foil, leaving the silver clean. Of course, this doesn´t remove scratches but if tarnish is the only problem, the piece will look like new.
Interesting process! It almost sounds like cooking though, which scares me to death. I should try it, only under the supervision of my BF...he cooks.

For the most part, my silver is showing signs of tarnish, but I do have one piece, which has a few surface scratches. Perhaps that might be worth the $10 fee if Tiff can get those scratches out.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/25/2009 3:27:36 PM
Author: WishfulThinking
Thanks for the suggestions, guys! I agree it really is about what each person feels is worth spending the money for. I thought I would be interested in having one that just *looked* the same, but I have found myself wondering about the quality. Perhaps I will have to go visit a Tiffany's store to find out.
31.gif

I do have an inkling that it might feel a little more special to me if it were the Tiff version.
12.gif
Oh, I've gone and admitted it too!
9.gif
It might be worth your while to check it out in the store so that you can be sure it is something you would want to spend your $$ on. You could also try starting a topic on this, maybe titled "show me your tiff initial necklace."

Also, there is an old thread on tiffany pieces and I think there were a few initial pendants posted there. I cannot seem to dig that old thread up, maybe someone else can.

ETA: I found the 2 threads I was thinking of, but the only picture of the M I could find was Musey's here https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-your-tiffany-co.81206/page-7 (scroll down to the middle of the page). You still might want to look at the other threads, as you will see other silver pieces pictured (and lots of bling).

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-your-tiffany-co.81206/
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-your-tiffany-co.52949/

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/27/2009 2:22:23 PM
Date: 1/25/2009 4:21:13 PM
Author: Lady_Disdain

Interesting process! It almost sounds like cooking though, which scares me to death. I should try it, only under the supervision of my BF...he cooks.
This is what I do, and it works like a dream!! I don''t even have to let it sit, usually, I can just pour the boiling water from the kettle over it, swish the bowl a few times, then rinse the silver. Looks brand new every time!

WishfulThinking

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much for all the great links, Omie! I will peruse them.

Lady_Disdain, thanks for sharing the great silver-cleaning technique! Awesome.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/27/2009 5:03:03 PM
Author: musey

This is what I do, and it works like a dream!! I don''t even have to let it sit, usually, I can just pour the boiling water from the kettle over it, swish the bowl a few times, then rinse the silver. Looks brand new every time!
Dumb question, but do you boil water with the foil (plus baking soda)?

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/27/2009 5:12:10 PM
Author: WishfulThinking

Thanks so much for all the great links, Omie! I will peruse them.
You are quite welcome! I hope that you are able to visit a Tiffany store soon & let us know what you decide
1.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2009 2:13:14 PM
Date: 1/27/2009 5:03:03 PM

Dumb question, but do you boil water with the foil (plus baking soda)?
I put the foil a bowl (lining it, though I''m not sure you have to), and put the silver in on top of it. Then I put water in my kettle, bring it to a boil then pour it in the foiled bowl. Swish swish, sit for a minute or less, and rinse!

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2009 2:37:35 PM

I put the foil a bowl (lining it, though I''m not sure you have to), and put the silver in on top of it. Then I put water in my kettle, bring it to a boil then pour it in the foiled bowl. Swish swish, sit for a minute or less, and rinse!
Oooh, I think that would be safer for me than boiling it on the stove, though I guess that would be a good method if I had a highly tarnished piece. Thanks!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2009 5:54:04 PM
Date: 1/28/2009 2:37:35 PM

Oooh, I think that would be safer for me than boiling it on the stove, though I guess that would be a good method if I had a highly tarnished piece. Thanks!
I don''t think anyone was suggesting boiling it on the stove... I think lady disdain was just using a saucepan as a safe container suggestion, as opposed to a bowl or something that might not be heat safe.
1.gif

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2009 6:43:39 PM

I don''t think anyone was suggesting boiling it on the stove... I think lady disdain was just using a saucepan as a safe container suggestion, as opposed to a bowl or something that might not be heat safe.
1.gif
Gotcha! I think I freaked when I read that a stove and a pot would be required. :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results