shape
carat
color
clarity

Inherited a stone. Now what?

Picabia

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone!
I was here about a year ago for e-ring help and everyone was really great. I'm hoping you can (once again) point me in the right direction.

I recently inherited a .75ct transition cut stone. Two separate jewelers recommended I get the diamond certified. Under the microscope they saw very few internal flaws, and I was told vs1 at least in terms of clarity, G in terms of color (although who can tell while it is still set?).

So what do I do next? I want the stone taken out of the current setting and appraised at some point for insurance, then re-set into a necklace. BUT I have very little money (still a grad student). One option is to have it re-cut. The cut is already really great for how old it is. But it's no H&A. I've been told by one jeweler that it's not worth the risk and cost of cutting since the stone is already good. The other said a great cut would make this a really wonderful stone. I don't want to appraise it twice, or re-set it twice, so I figure whatever I do (at least for the next number of years) I should do before setting it.

So do you recut a smaller stone? Do you get a GIA cert if not, or just regular appraisal? Can you insure before getting it re-set for safety, or will that make accurate determination of the value impossible?!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ironically, I just got a 1 ct. stone from my mother and had it recut to a .80 and am setting it in a pendant! But if I had a transitional cut stone, I would definitely leave it as is and just set it in a simple pendant. A jeweler or independent appraiser can appraise it for you for insurance purposes. I did not send my diamond to a lab to be certified since I am not planning on selling the stone. That would be the only reason I would feel the need to do so. Just get a good descriptive appraisal!

Oh, and I am getting mine set and then appraised and added to insurance. Just be sure of who you use to set it. I sent my stone by registered mail (very safe and insured) to Brian Gavin and they will insure it on it's way back. Then I'll take it to a local jeweler to do an appraisal immediately and add to insurance.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
if you do want to get it recut, I would not get it cut into a H&A, but maybe you could improve the optics. Singlestone has recut some antique stones while maintaining their character, you could send it to them to see if your stone is a good candidate for a recut if you are interested in recutting.

Picabia

Shiny_Rock
I actually like the stone as is--it's just that everything I've been told about diamonds centers on the cut. I don't want to spend a ton of money setting a stone that isn't worth setting (that is, if a little recutting would make it exponentially better). But I'm definitely not committed to recutting. I like the idea of just touching it up. Do you recommend against H&A because too much material would be lost? And is singlestone a user on here, or the shop in LA?

Diamondseeker--what was the cut like before you redid it? And how did you like the results? Also, is there a post about your process? I'm eager for pendant ideas/possibilities.

As far as the appraisal (if I don't get it certified), do you get it appraised before you get it set so that it's insured when it goes off to the jeweler--then re-appraised after it's set? Or is there a way to be safe and only pay for one appraisal?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Assuming your happy with it and assuming it's not for sale, I definitely would NOT recommend recutting. Actually, I probably wouldn't even get a lab grading done. What are you hoping to accomplish by sending it in?

FWIW, I wouldn't recommend recutting even if you WERE trying to sell it.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
NO!! NO!! NO!! PLEASE DO NOT RECUT THIS STONE!!

I understand why a retail jeweler would say to recut it, because they don't have the customers who ask for these stones, and most likely they don't know any better!

Let me put it this way, would you rather have a gorgeous, well running vintage car that's one of a kind.... or a grey Ford?

Picabia

Shiny_Rock
That's actually good to hear, Denverappraiser and Upgradeable.

We're just trying not to be lazy about this. It's a pretty exceptional stone for us, and will be my fiance's highest-ticket jewelery item (aside from the e-ring). So I'd like to spend a little money up front and get a great final product. It won't be for sale, and I'm very happy with it as is. I just assumed a better cut would yield a better product, and that a GIA cert would assure easier insurance. But I suppose that isn't necessarily true. Plus I think the local shops are trying to get us to spend money.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have any pictures??? We would love to see it. I love transition cuts...Please do not recut if its already a nicely
cut stone. It would be a real shame in my book and a waste of money to boot!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, you don't need a lab report for insurance. My original diamond and my mother's were never certified and have been covered on insurance for many years. I'd never recut a transitional unless it was chipped or something. I wanted to clarify that the stone I had recut was a modern cut that was given a very poor cut in order to get it to stay at the 1 ct. mark. I disliked the stone enough to know that I didn't want to spend money resetting it unless it was recut. So Brian Gavin did that for me and is now setting it in a pendant. Your .75 is a great size to set in a pendant and even more special because it is a transitional cut!

I will add that the setting I am doing would be perfect for a transitional cut stone! I am altering a stock setting at Brian Gavin and can post you some pictures of the components I am combining if you'd like!

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! For the love of Pete, don't re-cut it. I'm with Uppy on this one.

stci

Ideal_Rock
I simply don't understand why recut a stone like that! Keep it as is and it was beautiful for sure!

Picabia

Shiny_Rock
Got the message--recutting is not a good idea! I love the cut as it is, believe me, it wasn't our idea.

So I tried to take a few pics. I know the IS can't be used on set stones, but I tried anyway. Does this give a sense of the rock at all?

IMG_2040.JPG

IMG_2975.JPG

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, it will make a fabulous pendant. There's nothing like an heirloom from your own family. :appl:

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great idea to use it in a pendant. I am so glad you already decided to keep it as is - definitely it would be sad to recut an heirloom.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous!!! :love: Oh how I wish that my family stone had been a transitional cut or OEC!!!!!

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Upgradable|1304973158|2916579 said:
NO!! NO!! NO!! PLEASE DO NOT RECUT THIS STONE!!

I understand why a retail jeweler would say to recut it, because they don't have the customers who ask for these stones, and most likely they don't know any better!

Let me put it this way, would you rather have a gorgeous, well running vintage car that's one of a kind.... or a grey Ford?

I'm with Uppy! I think it is a sin to take a beautiful vintage cut and turn it into a modern cut. It's like taking a Lalique vase and whittling it down to a sippy cup. Just get the stone appraised by someone who specializes in antique diamonds, get it insured, and enjoy it!

ETA I didn't see the pictures until after I posted. It's GORGEOUS!!! Such a beautiful stone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results