shape
carat
color
clarity

Information on the web

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mosher

Rough_Rock

my question is how far can sellers bend the truth, when giving information on their web sites. often I read blatantly false or misleading information on some diamond selling sites.

I think we have all seen claims like "70% of retail prices". if you are buying real "equal" quality 70% off retail is not possible yet we see this kind of claim.

And don''t you love their advice columns which state the biggest rubbish in very professional way.

QUOTE "we realise that buying a loose diamond or diamond engagement ring can be a daunting process for an inexperienced consumer because :

It can be expensive.

It is difficult to compare diamonds.

There is so much to know about the quality of diamonds."

OR QUOTE "With over 100,000 GIA certified loose diamonds to choose from, by using our easy to use browse and search tools, you can be sure that you will find a diamond to perfectly match your needs and budget."

As far as I can see consumers believe this and actually fall for it.
33.gif

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
It's kinda scary, right?? Thanks goodness you found Pricescope and won't fall for such nonsense!

Are you in the market for a diamond now?

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Mosher,

Reading your post...I was waiting for the other shoe to drop...

Date: 4/6/2007 7:17:42 PM
Author:mosher

my question is how far can sellers bend the truth, when giving information on their web sites. often I read blatantly false or misleading information on some diamond selling sites.

And don''t you love their advice columns which state the biggest rubbish in very professional way.

QUOTE ''we realise that buying a loose diamond or diamond engagement ring can be a daunting process for an inexperienced consumer because :

It can be expensive.

It is difficult to compare diamonds.

There is so much to know about the quality of diamonds.''

OR QUOTE ''With over 100,000 GIA certified loose diamonds to choose from, by using our easy to use browse and search tools, you can be sure that you will find a diamond to perfectly match your needs and budget.''

As far as I can see consumers believe this and actually fall for it.
33.gif
Where is the principle problem you see here?

For example...not to cause problems...but I think options like Abazias and USA Certed have this sort of approach. They have numerous happy users.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Regular Guy, I can see what you are saying.

I thought Mosher was addressing some of the more unscrupulous vendors who try to use scare tactics and false teasers. You see them on eBay all the time.

I would assume that Mosher realizes that with virtual inventories, online vendors have access to a ton of diamonds. I would imagine Mosher also realizes that there are reputable PS vendors who really want to help you find the right diamond at the best price.

Maybe I misunderstood Mosher?

avlis

Shiny_Rock
i saw this post last night and wasnt going to reply because i thought it was a troll of sorts and i didnt want to bump it.. but since it is already replied to.. here is my thoughts...

a shady dealer is a shady dealer. some of the comments i have heard from real-life B&M sales people is enough to make my head explode. whether it was just stupidity on thier part or a flat out lie to try and pressure the customer into a sale. the point is, it doesnt really matter WHERE the dealer is, be it a real store or a vitual store, the customer must take it upon him/her self to be cautious and INFORMED. as with ANY PURCHASE.. a well informed/educated buyer will not fall for the tactics of a shady salesperson. Knowledge is power.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good point/post avlis.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results