shape
carat
color
clarity

Inexpensive setting for this amethyst?

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think I am buying this amethyst. Will I be able to find an inexpensive sterling silver stock setting for it? I thought I would ask here since you folks are so good at finding inexpensive settings.

It's 11.8 x 9.8 x 6.9 mm. I'm wondering if I could find a 12 x 10 setting for it or if the size being slightly off and the shape being unusual would be a problem.

Edit - Oops, I meant to put this in the Fabulous Fashion Jewelry forum. I've asked for it to be moved.

Attachments

• amethyst.jpg
    amethyst.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 256

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just wondering... why would silver and amethyst be in fashion jewellery?
silver=precious metal
amethyst=gemstone

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Gloria27, I am totally open to suggestions from anyone (the more the better), but like I said above, folks in that forum are pros at finding dirt cheap settings. I am on a time crunch here and need an answer ASAP, and I thought I might get better results there.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe look at DanielM Etsy? He’s churned out some lovely pieces lately on PS-does custom in silver - but don’t know your budget range?
Rough past road, but looks to be back on track?

Last edited:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can find a 12x10 cushion setting. I actually buy some clearance rings in Cz or white zircon side stones off Jtv.com, my jeweler pops out the center stone and puts the new one in. I find this the cheapest option, even more so than eBay and other stock setting dealers.

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe ask Jeff if it fits a stock setting?

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@strawrose - Of course you knew who the seller was right away. I love PS! Jeff said that it was pretty close to a calibrated 12 x 10mm but didn't specifically say if it would fit a stock setting.

@Rfisher - I was hoping to get a setting plus get the stone set for around $100 total, if possible.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@strawrose - Of course you knew who the seller was right away. I love PS! Jeff said that it was pretty close to a calibrated 12 x 10mm but didn't specifically say if it would fit a stock setting.

@Rfisher - I was hoping to get a setting plus get the stone set for around $100 total, if possible.
That sounds reasonable. You just need a jeweler that doesn’t charge an arm and a leg for setting stones, as some do.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Daniel M would definitely be the first person that I ask. My star sapphire and star ruby rings were done by him. My 4ct 10x8 black star sapphire oval bezeled in silver, he quoted me for $70. If it's a silver bezel, he might be able to do within your budget.

Hivona

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Daniel M would definitely be the first person that I ask. My star sapphire and star ruby rings were done by him. My 4ct 10x8 black star sapphire oval bezeled in silver, he quoted me for $70. If it's a silver bezel, he might be able to do within your budget.

Not to thread-jack but that is good to know! I have a few cabs that I don't want to spend much on to set, silver would be fine!

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Check out silverfoxmountings on Etsy. Sterling silver, they will resize and the setting fee is only $7. They have over 1000 settings. ..

I tried to find this vendor, looks like this shop is down.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
Oh no! I had some settings I was looking at! They've been on etsy for ages, even a few days ago. Sad...

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Oh no! I had some settings I was looking at! They've been on etsy for ages, even a few days ago. Sad...

Sad for me too. Hopefully it is a short term issue and they pop back up.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They're still on ebay as moose cry jewelry. .. i bought a setting from them last year, it was nice :)

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
Moosecry in Etsy
Looks like they are under the ebay name on etsy. Can someone confirm this is the same?

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
You can find a 12x10 cushion setting. I actually buy some clearance rings in Cz or white zircon side stones off Jtv.com, my jeweler pops out the center stone and puts the new one in. I find this the cheapest option, even more so than eBay and other stock setting dealers.

@T L this is brilliant I hadn't thought of that. I have a terrible time visualizing things so this would solve that in one swoop. And I see so much online that I like but have no idea if they would work with my hand so this is a cheap way to shop around.

I am nervous that my jeweler will look at me like I am nuts asking for a reset but you give me strength.

Are you able to search by stone size?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results