shape
carat
color
clarity

Indicolite Tourmaline...Worth price?

gwcynthia

Rough_Rock
The seller is asking $900.00 It is 1.6ct Thank you!
indicolite.PNG

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
If it’s the Instagram seller I suspect it is, no.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is on the high side for me for such as small stone.

If it was listed on eBay with a "Make An Offer" option, I would offer 500 USD to start with, no more than 600 USD tops.

DK :))

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Waiting for a rehash of the last time someone posted about this sellers items. With pictures. And prices.

OP
Ask for some suggestions of comparable stones that are for sale?
Maybe someone can help you out on that? So you can compare?
If your environment/latitude isn’t similar to where this vendor is, that right off the bat will probably disappoint you, color wise.

Last edited:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't do IG (or Twitter), so I have no clue about that or any other seller on IG.

And I am not going down that rabbit hole to start trawling IG! :lol-2:

DK :))

gwcynthia

Rough_Rock

Waiting for a rehash of the last time someone posted about this sellers items. With pictures. And prices.

OP
Ask for some suggestions of comparable stones that are for sale?
Maybe someone can help you out on that? So you can compare?
If your environment/latitude isn’t similar to where this vendor is, that right off the bat will probably disappoint you, color wise.

LOL, off search this forum for reviews on the seller!
Didn't even think about latitude..
Thank you so much.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Tourmalines always looks nice under the sun, but tends to be more disappointing indoors. To be honest, how tourmaline looks under different lighting condition has made me a lot more selective of the tourmalines that I will buy. And I’m in the tropics as well so that’s usually a lot of sun.

For indicolites, I’ll advise to get the “neon” ones. I have a stone like that and it has not disappointed. I have another “normal” indicolite that only performs well in a specific range of lighting.

The “neon” indicolite

gwcynthia

Rough_Rock
Tourmalines always looks nice under the sun, but tends to be more disappointing indoors. To be honest, how tourmaline looks under different lighting condition has made me a lot more selective of the tourmalines that I will buy. And I’m in the tropics as well so that’s usually a lot of sun.

For indicolites, I’ll advise to get the “neon” ones. I have a stone like that and it has not disappointed. I have another “normal” indicolite that only performs well in a specific range of lighting.

The “neon” indicolite

228D060C-E45A-4E76-BD8D-ED3DDA91B114.jpeg

Just gorgeous! Do you have any recommended seller for those types of tourmalines? I am looking for one about 2cts.
Thank you!

Polyhex

Brilliant_Rock
This is one of the vendors that I suspect is buying the stones from Pakistani IG vendors and immediately adding a huge markup.

If you want to go on an adventure for a lower cost but hard to return stone, I have been VERY happy with my purchases from these Pakistani vendors who are mostly cutting Afghan material.

Editing to reformat the IG names
@finestonespk
@stylogems_pakistan
@haris_gems_93 (mostly sells much larger stones)

I strongly recommend requesting indoor videos in normal, dim lighting before you buy. They are happy to make them quickly.

Some of them will take a return but it's complicated to do because gems cannot be shipped to or from Pakistan, they have to go to or be received from another country via a courier and then ship.

gwcynthia

Rough_Rock
This is one of the vendors that I suspect is buying the stones from Pakistani IG vendors and immediately adding a huge markup.

If you want to go on an adventure for a lower cost but hard to return stone, I have been VERY happy with my purchases from these Pakistani vendors who are mostly cutting Afghan material.

@finestonespk
@stylogems_pakistan

I strongly recommend requesting indoor videos in normal, dim lighting before you buy. They are happy to make them quickly.

Some of them will take a return but it's complicated to do because gems cannot be shipped to or from Pakistan, they have to go to or be received from another country via a courier and then ship.

Thank you so much!! I’m not as concerned with having to return.

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock

@finestonespk
@stylogems_pakistan

Actually, you can ship stones back to Pakistan, not India. But it is very pricey. DHL is around $85.00 to ship back Fed Ex much more.

Also, beware of the white backgrounds they use. This can hide white and colorless inclusions on pastel colored stones and pastel bi-colored stones. It also can make them appear more vivid than they are in real life. Always ask for finger videos or videos without a white background. Beware of some dealers there, they will refuse a return or make it such a stressed-out affair that it just is not worth it. Many are selling other dealers stones they see in the market in Peshawar and have no money to refund.

From past experience

Polyhex

Brilliant_Rock
Actually, you can ship stones back to Pakistan, not India. But it is very pricey. DHL is around $85.00 to ship back Fed Ex much more.

Wow, that's crazy to me that the government prohibits gemstone shipping out of the country (yet allows them to export via courier) but will allow them to be shipped back in. Thanks for the info!

Also, beware of the white backgrounds they use. This can hide white and colorless inclusions on pastel colored stones and pastel bi-colored stones. It also can make them appear more vivid than they are in real life. Always ask for finger videos or videos without a white background. Beware of some dealers there, they will refuse a return or make it such a stressed-out affair that it just is not worth it. Many are selling other dealers stones they see in the market in Peshawar and have no money to refund.

Yup, I don't think any of the Pakistani IG accounts I have interacted with are shop/stone owners. They are usually young people and IMO the ideal situation is when they are young relatives employed by the shop owner. I think you can tell by how easily they have access to the stones, are they able to make new videos after store hours, can they have stones custom cut etc. I am pretty sure that Stylogems and Haris are relatives of shop owners as Stylogems had stones custom cut for me without a deposit, and Haris has been able to make new stone videos late in the night Peshawar time. :) There are others I have bought from where I had just an OK experience and the color was not the same or the stone had some chips, but these vendors I was personally happy with.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Wow, that's crazy to me that the government prohibits gemstone shipping out of the country (yet allows them to export via courier) but will allow them to be shipped back in. Thanks for the info!

Yup, I don't think any of the Pakistani IG accounts I have interacted with are shop/stone owners. They are usually young people and IMO the ideal situation is when they are young relatives employed by the shop owner. I think you can tell by how easily they have access to the stones, are they able to make new videos after store hours, can they have stones custom cut etc. I am pretty sure that Stylogems and Haris are relatives of shop owners as Stylogems had stones custom cut for me without a deposit, and Haris has been able to make new stone videos late in the night Peshawar time. :) There are others I have bought from where I had just an OK experience and the color was not the same or the stone had some chips, but these vendors I was personally happy with.

Hi @Polyhex thanks for all the good info! Have you had any experience with tourmaline_treasure?

Polyhex

Brilliant_Rock
Hi @Polyhex thanks for all the good info! Have you had any experience with tourmaline_treasure?

Haven't bought anything but when we chatted a year ago their prices appeared to be very good for what we were discussing.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
@gemobsessedsingapore
??
Off to search this site, LOL.... thank you!

yep that’s the one. Hate looking at the ring I bought as every time I see it I feel sick at how I was ripped off. Live and learn.

Rare gem lover

Shiny_Rock
Trade
yep that’s the one. Hate looking at the ring I bought as every time I see it I feel sick at how I was ripped off. Live and learn.

This is GemObsessed. What ring did you buy that you feel I ripped you off on?

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
The ring I paid $300 more in import duty than I should have and that when I took it for an appraisal to my jeweller was valued at 50% of the total I spent.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
I suppose it’s my own fault for agreeing to have bench work done in a country twice the price of where I live.

Rare gem lover

Shiny_Rock
Trade
The ring I paid $300 more in import duty than I should have and that when I took it for an appraisal to my jeweller was valued at 50% of the total I spent.

1) Do you recall that when I heard about your import duty I offered to pay you 334 usd? you said “ that’s extremely good of you”

I had declared value of 500 EXACTLY as we had agreed on and we were in the midst of working out the details when you vanished and didn’t reply to me? FedEx had made a mistake and we raised an investigation. I messaged twice tell you what I had emailed the FedEx team and Again to you asking for updates and you never got back to me. Do you recall that?

I have screenshots of all our conversation I can attach as well if that helps.

2) You asked your jeweller to appraise my ring. Your jeweller who would rather have you do business with him, in your country where retail prices for tourmaline or custom jewellery are different from mine in singapore. He has a mass production set up as well and you are doing multiple rings with him, so many he can treat you like a wholesale client. If someone does 5/6 or more rings with me even I am able to offer a better price though never as little as what standard benches are.

You never once asked for a different design or asked me to lower price or showed any displeasure at all in anything. Your feedback was and I quote:

“ the ring itself is beautiful thank you”
“ the gemstones and workmanship are absolutely impeccable”
“ look at that glow!”
“Just so delicate. I have little fingers that works well”
“ we must work out a better delivery methodology because I would love to order from you again given the quality”

Of course your jeweller will say the ring value is lower. They simply don’t have any knowledge of my costs and want you to stick to them.

I live in Singapore and I sell at retail prices. It is never cheap and I never said it was. Neither do I mass produce rings like your jeweller does with multiple orders from you. I do selective boutique work and just had one ring order from you.

Fifty percent doesn’t even cover my cost. And most retail prices are 2x to 4x of cost to cover cost of inventory, salary, time and effort, design and curation of items.

When you vanished, didn’t reply to my multiple messages I thought the matter was sorted. And you were very happy with the ring and sent me so many complimentary messages.
How would I know any of this? And now you write all this on a consumer forum driving away other people.

Again I can share screenshots of our conversations with your name blacked out. But everything I have said it is in your chat, if you can refer

Last edited:

Rare gem lover

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I suppose it’s my own fault for agreeing to have bench work done in a country twice the price of where I live.

Ok then, if you would not like to pay singapore prices then it was never necessary for you to buy from me. Singapore is one of the most expensive countries in the world.

But does that mean you should say things like -the ring makes you sick? I saw what you wrote on another forum too about package deals. It’s incredibly hurtful. I am not a large business, I am a person too. I thought I sold one of my most incredible blue tourmalines to someone who appreciated it. All this negative feedback is completely out of the blue since you always said you liked the design, went with my cad as well and seemed overjoyed on receipt.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
I love the stone. I hate the fact I overpaid for the piece by 50% and that the finished article isn’t worth what it cost me. It leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. I’m sorry if that offends you, but it’s fact. Your gems are lovely quality, but at the higher end of cost. The price for setting frankly makes the overall cost for a finished piece exorbitant.

This forum is to share information so people can make informed decisions. If people are happy to pay more for your stones / jewellery than they could pay elsewhere, that’s their decision. But it’s entirely right that they KNOW your products are very expensive compared to what else they could get for their money.

Rare gem lover

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I love the stone. I hate the fact I overpaid for the piece by 50% and that the finished article isn’t worth what it cost me. It leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. I’m sorry if that offends you, but it’s fact. Your gems are lovely quality, but at the higher end of cost. The price for setting frankly makes the overall cost for a finished piece exorbitant.

This forum is to share information so people can make informed decisions. If people are happy to pay more for your stones / jewellery than they could pay elsewhere, that’s their decision. But it’s entirely right that they KNOW your products are very expensive compared to what else they could get for their money.

1) yes, my gems are higher end. I sell premium boutique jewellery. I will never compete with trade prices, nor do I plan to. People come to me for singular special pieces not to buy tons and tons of rings at wholesale prices.

2) Other people may not have access to your mass production inexpensive jeweller. Other people may want to buy retail. Other people may be comfortable to spend a premium on a special unforgettable gem. Some people pay for my help in finding their dream gem. You’re also forgetting, I have rare gems and they may not be able to get them elsewhere. Your assumption that they can get the exact same thing elsewhere is incorrect.

You cannot apply your preferences to other people so strongly with such harsh language and think it’s okay.

You are not educating people, you are tarnishing reputations.

3) I’m sorry if you are so unhappy with your ring, but if you were you should have first told me that back in June. I may have been able to take it back then or do something else like send you a gem. You only showed me happiness till now.

Retailers want to make their clients happy. If their clients show unhappiness they should at least be given the chance to make it up to them. Simply put, if you’re unhappy, you should say you’re unhappy to them first before putting up outbursts on consumer forums. You have used words like ‘ sick’ ‘ hate’ ‘ ripped off’ which are all overly harsh and you have written many things completely out of context. Nothing here has been done in any good faith.

I may not be the right custom jeweller for you but I am for others. I have PS clients.

Last edited:

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
I haven’t ever once referenced your name or handle on Instagram.

I haven’t left a review of you or your products anywhere.

I chalked it up to a learning experience and simply stopped following you because I wasn’t going to purchase again.

YOU came on this thread and identified yourself and also you decided to refer to another comment I’d made on a different thread - and ASSUMED I was talking about my experience with you - bu that comment also made no mention of the vendor I bought from in any way.

Not a single comment have I made anywhere which mentioned you or linked to your products or pages. I don’t leave negative reviews. What I will do is give an opinion on “value for money” which is specifically what the OP here requested.

It was your choice to come on here and identify yourself, NOT mine.

Last edited:

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
I can see from your history this isn’t the first outburst you’ve posted on this forum when someone has suggested your products are overpriced.

I suggest you think about how you are coming across to your potential clientele.

And do NOT accuse me of badmouthing you when I have never once mentioned a single identifying fact to anyone anywhere, online or in real life in relation to your business.

Rare gem lover

Shiny_Rock
Trade

Here you identified me. That’s the only reason I got involved.

And the other OP who’s thread you are referring to is a dear client on mine who decided to pay for singular rare gems.

And the OP of this current thread is also in touch with me on instagram to ask for neon blue tourmalines saying she heard good things about my gems.

You didn’t identify me till you did just today. If you refrained from it and instead had talked to me about it, it would have been a much better outcome than all this.

I came on to tell my side of the story, that is my right as well.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
How did I identify you here?!! You show me one place I have referenced your identity ANYWHERE. The OP was a photo with no identifying information.

You came in here, told everyone your Instagram identity and started slagging me off! I will now be utilising the “ignore” function.

Apologies to the OP for the thread derail - you make up your mind if you want to deal with this vendor.

Rare gem lover

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Here you identified me.

Attachments

• 3AD2A97E-92A8-4189-8221-E8687765F20C.jpeg
    3AD2A97E-92A8-4189-8221-E8687765F20C.jpeg
    444.3 KB · Views: 147

Rare gem lover

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I came in here to respond to you. The op said GemObsessed singapore.
You responded identifying me as someone who ripped you off. That’s why I got involved to ask who you are and what this is even about.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results