shape
carat
color
clarity

Independent jeweler refusing return

sparklelove

Rough_Rock
Hi all! I'm so glad I found PS. Unfortunately, it wasn't before my FI and I made a misstep. About one week ago, we went engagement ring shopping at a local jeweler. We wound up picking out an oval cut diamond engagement ring flanked by baguettes. The ring was sized at a 5.5 and would have to be sized up in order to fit me. The salesperson said she would have it ready by New Years Eve and would call us to pick the ring up. Well, NYE came and went without a phone call. I started to do some research to make sure we made a good choice in diamond. It's GIA graded SI2. I know in my heart how important it is that the stone be mind clean. I know I would sit and stare at it until the inclusions jumped out at me. My fiancé is also feeling uncomfortable about the price and thinks we can find a better deal elsewhere. We went into the store yesterday and explained we wanted to return the ring and start over. We were still within the posted 7 day return period. The salesperson told us that she didn't know if we could get a refund because since the ring was sized, it was considered altered and that they don't take returns on custom alterations. The woman said they had to send the ring to a "master bench" in order to be sized from a 5.5 to a 6. She also said they had went to the trouble of typing up an appraisal and that was work that couldn't be done for free. My fiancé and I never took possession of the ring and feel these are lame excuses. We are going back in today to speak to a manager. Do we have any recourse? Is the store being unreasonable?

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It sounds as though you will have to pressure them and may end up losing some money.
You should offer to pay to have it resized back to a 5.5, even though I doubt they would actually bother to resize it, but make clear that you will have to return the ring.

They are not being unreasonable yet, since they didn't actually say no.

It does suck for them because they are small and thought they made a nice sale, but if you are going to be unhappy every time you look at your ring I can't see keeping it - especially when they just got it to you [late].

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
No, the store is not being unreasonable, but the real issue is the details of their terms and conditions. They'll be in the document packet with the sale, posted in the store or possibly on their website if they have one. Read 'em if you haven't already. If they're in violation it's a problem, if they're not, it's not.

Most stores dont' take returns on modified merchandise. Again, it depends on the actual terms of this particular store are what determine the issue but this is not an unusual policy.

The possibility that you might find a better price for something similar elsewhere is NOT a valid basis for a return (usually). Charging more than their competitors is no more fundamentally a problem for jewelers than it is for anyone else. They can charge whatever they want, and customers can shop there or not if they want.

The manager, not the salesperson, is definitely the person to be talking to here. Possibly the owner if it's the sort of outfit where the owner works there.

All of that said, it's not actually clear what you're unhappy with. The ring? The diamond? The price? It's entirely possible they can do a 'trade in' on the diamond for another one and have the Master Bench person switch it out for you. Again, this will depend on the policies of the store. Some will do this and some don't but it's usually possible. Expect a fee, and usually there are always limitations on how trade ins work. That puts you back to reading the terms and conditions.

Depending on the size, most SI2s are eye clean to most people in most circumstances. There's a lot of weasel words in that last sentence, but are you just assuming this one is not based on something you read or can you see something in the stone that worries you?

'Free' appraisals are usually worth less than they cost anyway. That said, the week between Christmas and New Years is a very busy time for jewelers and although that's not an excuse, it's probably the reason they're late on their paperwork.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I own a SI2 and and also an I1 that I bought for myself, on purpose. "Eyeclean-ish" is good enough for me, if it gets me a bigger diamond for my budget. Inclusions and color are personal choice. Personally, I see nothing wrong or inferior about occasionally seeing some small inclusion(s). After a while, you stop inspecting the diamond closely, and then size may start being more important than is the diamond 100% eyeclean 100% of the time. Just saying, priorities can change.

Ovals are difficult to buy long distance. It could be that you've already bought a nice one. An above-average performer, even. If you start over with online ovals or cushions or other fancies, be advised that you will need ASET images and you will need extra time to gather information about the purchase. And in the end, someone will have to look at the diamond, either you or the vendor. There is a "cookbook" for H&A rounds, but not for fancies. It will take work to buy one online. Depending what you paid, it may not be any less expensive.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Worst case secnario, you have to buy the setting. Resell it or or put a colored stone in it later. But get back in there and return that diamond within the 7 days!!!! Have a witness with you!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bring a witness and or record the whole thing.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did I miss something? Why the recommendation to bring a witness or record the meeting?

The OP purchased an item, in person, that he or she liked. The jeweller agreed to have it the ring resized. Resizing or altering an item normally voids a return. The OP needs to read the fine print and conditions on their receipt. The jeweller hasn't done anything wrong that we're aware of from the original post. The poster just changed their mind. Changing of a mind does not mean the jeweller needs to offer a return, especially on an item which has been altered.

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
It sounds as though the salesperson is being pretty straight-forward with you.

The key is to know that any limitations that are in writing on the return policy are, of course, the prerogative of the jeweler.

If you love the setting, and the SI2 is the primary concern with the diamond, it is very possible they will allow a 'trade-up' or like-kind exchange of the diamond which may be your best-case scenario at this point.

Retailers don't want unhappy customers any more than customers want to have a bad experience. Knowing there has been some expense involved with your ring, you can understand that the dealer will look for ways to not lose money while trying to keep you satisfied.

Best Wishes!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results