shape
carat
color
clarity

inclusions reflection - how much?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
I looked at a cushion stone not too long ago that puzzled me. When I looked at the stone with a loupe from the backside, it seemed that there were many more inclusions than were listed on the cert. Then I assumed what I was seeing was reflections of the 2 carbon spots. But I don''t remember seeing that happen with previous stones I looked at. I am so afraid of not really understanding what I am looking at. If a stone is graded VS2 or SI1, and there are carbon dots, say 1 or 2 listed on the cert, then when I view from the back, should I see 8,9,10 more spots?

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
Could be a reflecting inclusion, of which only the original is plotted.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Yup. It's the reflection. Each stone is different b/c it depends on the placement of the inclusion. It's not always going to be reflected. I once saw a beautiful vs2 round...but the inclusion reflected all around. So that's an automatic pass.

and p.s.- that's why there MUST be a good return policy and why I want to take the stone home lose b/f having it set for the most part. Jewelry store lights mask inclusions...bad jewelers, Baaaddd.

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Ahhh ! They (the Jewelers) told me "all inclusions reflect like that." This was at a high end jeweler in Scottsdale. Now, I feel better about letting that one go. So, so glad I did not buy that stone (4ct. cushion). So it depends on the location of inclusion? Where would the actual inclusion most likely be to reflect like a ping-pong ball in a stone?

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
OMG- yeah right...what a bunch of jerks...clearly wanting to make a nice sale...Sorry you let it go...but wasn't meant to be. there will be tons of others! keep in mind that with that delicious
3.gif
size, the inclusions also get bigger so I think that they can be more visible sometimes...

I believe that if they are low in the pavillion, they may reflect more.... Keep us posed on your search!
30.gif

Patty

Ideal_Rock
I have an I-1 stone that I bought without a certificate. I showed it to an appraiser when we were there for something else and when I asked about all the dark spots that I could see under her microscope, she told me that they were reflections of an inclusion. I can see one inclusion in the stone that I''m pretty sure is real but I''m not sure how many of the other spots I see are reflelctions and how many are inclusions.

I have a 1.35 SuperbCert with a crystal right under the table. On the hearts picture of the stone, you see a LOT of circles that are reflections of that one crystal, but that is just from the bottom. Just recently when I was louping the stone, if I angled it JUST SO, I could see the crystal reflecting on the outer edges of the top of the stone. It doesn''t bother me, though, because I can''t see them with my naked eye and I got a steal on the stone.

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Patty, what you are describing with your inclusion is what was happening with the stone I was looking at! It was impossible to tell which spot was the actual inclusion.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results