shape
carat
color
clarity

Inclusion or reflection?

Lorien

Rough_Rock
I just got my new setting and diamond and I love it. The setting is perfect but I'm not sure about the diamond. I love the diamond I had before but we decided to get something bigger and better quality. I'm not sure if I'm just not used to the new one or if it's all in my head but it doesn't seem to have as much fire as my other one. It is very clear and sparkly but I feel like my other diamond threw off more red and blue sparkles. Maybe the center of my new one doesn't shine as much? My other one was a .62 H SI1 very good cut. My one now it a .83 F SI1 excellent cut. It has better specs so that's why I'm worried it's all in my head. But the main thing is I can't tell if the diamond has an inclusion in the middle or if it's reflecting off the band. And if it is an inclusion in the middle like that then I worry how that is going to affect light return and the sparkle of the diamond in the middle. I really just want to be satisfied but I can't help but think I made a mistake and should have gotten a different diamond.
Any help is appreciated, thanks!
img_7003.jpg
img_7023.png img_7025.png
img_7022.png

Lorien

Rough_Rock
Interesting, I was not aware that that was a thing! Thank you so much for the link! Definitely helpful!

Here is the report if you guys don't mind letting me know if you think it is a good diamond or if you think I should look for something else. (As long as that isn't actually an inclusion). I'm still worried that it does not sparkle as much as my other one.

Measurements: 6.02 - 6.07 x 3.71 mm
Carat Weight: 0.83 carat
Color Grade: F
Clarity Grade: SI1
Cut Grade: Excellent

Depth: 61.4 %
Table: 57 %
Crown Angle: 33.0°
Crown Height: 14.0%
Pavilion Angle: 41.2°
Pavilion Depth: 43.5%
Star Length: 50%
Lower Half: 80%
Girdle: Thin to Slightly Thick, Faceted, 3.5%
Cult: None

http://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?reportno=1172290150&childpagename=GIA%2FPage%2FReportCheck&pagename=GIA%2FDispatcher&c=Page&cid=1355954554547

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi Lorien
Since you have a diamond dossier without a plot of the inclusions, and without a close up image of the diamond looking at it top down, it's tough to tell where/what the inclusion is. Where exactly is the inclusion located? If you're seeing this without a loupe, I suppose it is possible could be seeing the girdle reflection as mentioned, but I'm wondering if you're just seeing the table reflection? (see image)
The numbers are fine so you shouldn't have to worry about the cut - it should be a lovely stone.
table_reflection.jpg
If you could provide a few close up pics through the table (showing what you're looking at), that'd really help the folks here on PS answer your questions.
Hope this helps

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
ADN|1451283282|3967179 said:
Hi Lorien
Since you have a diamond dossier without a plot of the inclusions, and without a close up image of the diamond looking at it top down, it's tough to tell where/what the inclusion is. Where exactly is the inclusion located? If you're seeing this without a loupe, I suppose it is possible could be seeing the girdle reflection as mentioned, but I'm wondering if you're just seeing the table reflection? (see image)
The numbers are fine so you shouldn't have to worry about the cut - it should be a lovely stone.
table_reflection.jpg
If you could provide a few close up pics through the table (showing what you're looking at), that'd really help the folks here on PS answer your questions.
Hope this helps

EDIT - sorry Lorien - I didn't look at the pics in your first post, just read the text - disregard above as I thought you were seeing all of this through the crown & table...never mind :doh:

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What were the specs of your first diamond?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is your new diamond still exchangeable? The crown angle is slightly low. Fire usually comes from a higher crown. We usually look
for a crown to be 34-35 degrees with a corresponding pavilion angle to be around 40.6-41 degrees. If you know the specs on your
old stone we may be able to find you one that has numbers more like it.

Did you happen to get an idealscope or aset of your new stone? Just wondering. If you did, please post.

You can read a little about fire here...
https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/diamond-brilliance-fire-scintillation

Lorien

Rough_Rock
Unfortunately I don't have the GIA certificate of my old stone anymore so I don't know all the details on the cut. I might call them tomorrow and see they can give me the info if they even still have it. I don't have anything else on my new stone other than the certificate. It's from a family owned business and the specs looked good so I trusted that everything else about the stone was ok but I didn't know anything about all the angles before I got the stone. I mean maybe I'm being too picky and it's all in my head but the stone looks more grey/steel outside in the light and just doesn't seem to have as much fire. It still sparkles a lot though. Maybe it's because this is an F instead of an H? I can exchange it but we went back and forth so much with the setting that I'm going to feel like the most annoying person ever mentioning anything again. And then being really picky about a new stone. Especially when they just took back the other stone for this one. I just feel disappointed and confused at this point and wish I had my other stone to compare in different light settings to know exactly what's different about it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results