shape
carat
color
clarity

Help, I think I damaged my diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

marinatchka

Rough_Rock
Hi,
I`m new to posting on the forum (although I`ve used PS with my fiance while shopping for my ring) and I`m really needing some advice. Ive had my e-ring for less than 2 weeks and I absolutely love it. My fiance bought it new at Tiffany in NYC and its a VVS1, H, 1.88 carat ring with an excellent cut. The problem is that yesterday, I noticed something odd about it. When I look through the sides of the stone, there appears to be a line that goes all the way around the middle of the diamond. It is only there when I look at certain angles. It almost looks like the diamond is floating in a bit of water (like the line I see is the top of the water). it`s really freaking me out bc he paid a lot of money for it and I`m not sure if there is a bit of water stuck somehow underneath the culet or if it`s just somehow the facets giving the illusion or did I somehow managed to "slice" the diamond in half unknowingly. I`ve been abnormally careful with it since I;ve gotten it and yesterdy was the first time it was submerged in water. I haven`t really hit it (once against some wood, face on, but not very hard) and yesterday it fell in my car between the seats (although I doubt there was any damage that way because it was only like 1 foot drop and there really isn`t anything hard for it to hit). It still sparkles andshines just as brighlty so maybe I`m thinking that it just is facets that I never noticed giving this illusion because it is only at a certain angle that you see this line? please help me out here since I`m going insane. thanks

marinatchka

Rough_Rock
thank so much for your reply. I`ve been freaking out that I somehow cracked the stone in two (i noticed a tiny dent/scratch on one prong so I was imaging all sorts of horrible scenarios). Again, thanks a lot, you put my mind at ease.
Now I;m wondering why I didnt notice this before. Is this a bad thing to have in a diamond and should I try to exchange it at Tiffany since we paid so much for it? thanks

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/30/2008 9:56:05 AM
Author: marinatchka
thank so much for your reply. I`ve been freaking out that I somehow cracked the stone in two (i noticed a tiny dent/scratch on one prong so I was imaging all sorts of horrible scenarios). Again, thanks a lot, you put my mind at ease.
Now I;m wondering why I didnt notice this before. Is this a bad thing to have in a diamond and should I try to exchange it at Tiffany since we paid so much for it? thanks
It definitely sounds like girdle reflection, we have had many poor posters panicking over that one, so don't worry! All diamonds show this effect, it is normal and sometimes it isn't noticed immediately! I hope we have managed to put your mind at ease, and enjoy your lovely diamond!

I rather like these pictures which show girdle reflection from DiamondExpert Gary, which will hopefully give you further reassurance.

ReflectionsGirdle.jpg

stone_seeker

Shiny_Rock
I think its girdle reflection. I seriously doubt water can get trapped in a diamond based on how diamonds are found in the earth. Plus its a VVS1 so its definitely not an inclusion of any kind that you are seeing. Enjoy - i''m sure its a beauty!

marinatchka

Rough_Rock
I does kind of look like those pictures although I bit sharper, depending on how you look at it. I`m sure it is the reflection. I just am a little disapointed in Tiffany that they would have sold a stone with a girdle reflection and am not sure if I should call them and try to exchange the stone. Thanks again

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/30/2008 10:25:24 AM
I does kind of look like those pictures although I bit sharper, depending on how you look at it. I`m sure it is the reflection. I just am a little disapointed in Tiffany that they would have sold a stone with a girdle reflection and am not sure if I should call them and try to exchange the stone. Thanks again
I don''t think it''s physically possible to get a round diamond without a girdle reflection. Exchanging it for a different round stone won''t help as it is simply the way stones reflect.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All round diamonds will show a girdle reflection. In the link I posted for you Richard Sherwood an expert appraiser who writes on this forum mentions that it is not a bad thing and what causes it. The girdle is the widest part of your diamond and is for protecting it at the edge from wear, the diamond shape is what causes the reflection.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/30/2008 10:25:24 AM
Like I said, to the best of my knowledge, all diamonds will show a girdle reflection, and there isn't anything you can do to avoid it unfortunately. If you are concerned, here is a list of independant appraisers, find one in your area, then they can look at the diamond and offer you some reassurance.

https://www.pricescope.com/appr_list.aspx

diamondMary

Rough_Rock

I had the same issue with my ring and was told that the line could be white or feathery of varying thickness depending on the light, angle and girdle particulars. It is a natural feature of diamond reflectivity. Enjoy your ring and wear it in ‘Good Health’.

bootsiekin

Shiny_Rock
Hi,

I am a relatively new poster too. I also have a (round brilliant) engagement ring from Tiffany (F, VVS1) and I have the same reflection - though I never really noticed it too much before reading this! It is more visible in lower light for me, not so much in natural outdoor light. I guess it is normal like everyone is saying!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Sweet!!! I just realized this is what I''m seeing in mine too, which I thought was the inclusion. I have a small cloud in mine (that makes it a vs2) that is located right in the middle of where that line goes. I can''t see it from the top at all, barely even with a loupe, but I always assumed that''s what I was seeing from the side. Now I think I might just be seeing girdle reflection, as it pretty much looks exactly like those pictures.

honey22

Ideal_Rock
The blasted girdle reflection! Freaks us all out the first time we see it. Don't worry, your diamond is fine
2.gif

While we have you here, how about some pics of your Tiffs bling?!
2.gif

ETA - I just noticed you were thinking about exchanging your stone - it's perfectly normal to see a girdle reflection. I have a superideal cut AGS Ideal cut stone and you can see the girdle reflection in some light. Don't worry about it, there is nothing you can do to avoid it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results