Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

In this episode of “Name That Mystery Stone”...

Django0413

Shiny_Rock
I just bought this 14k ring for crazy cheap on eBay (barely the cost of scrap). The seller said her jeweler looked at it and said it’s topaz — which I suppose could be imperial topaz but it almost seems too dark and saturated. So... it’s a mystery stone and I’ll have some fun figuring it out under my microscope and other tools. I have another loose stone that may fit this setting if this stone turns out to be a dud. In the meantime, I’d be curious of everyone’s best guess. What do you all think? Maybe tourmaline or spinel? The terrible lighting makes this guessing game especially challenging!

Attachments

Last edited:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s probably a synthetic sapphire. Nothing wrong with that.
I remember back in the novice days excitedly buying a spessartite garnet... that wasn’t.... it was a synthetic sapphire. I’m ashamed to say I didn’t even know then that sapphire, let alone synthetic, came in orange.
DCC1F274-EDD8-4AD6-B203-C10C92EFEBFB.jpeg Oh well, it’s still really gorgeous.

femmemannequin

Rough_Rock
It’s probably a synthetic sapphire. Nothing wrong with that.
I remember back in the novice days excitedly buying a spessartite garnet... that wasn’t.... it was a synthetic sapphire. I’m ashamed to say I didn’t even know then that sapphire, let alone synthetic, came in orange.
DCC1F274-EDD8-4AD6-B203-C10C92EFEBFB.jpeg Oh well, it’s still really gorgeous.

pretty nonetheless!

Django0413

Shiny_Rock
Ok, I’m back with tons of pictures. I’m thinking it’s synthetic but can’t quite tell. The color is a lovely orange/red/pink and the setting is a really nice no-snag style so I’ll likely keep it but I’d love to know more about the stone. Place your bets — synthetic or natural, spinel or sapphire?

9E5243AE-A828-4064-AFE0-96097DF7F816.jpeg

Attachments

Django0413

Shiny_Rock
A few more pictures... There is clearly a visible inclusion — pretty sure it’s a chip in the stone... but I’m still learning... unfortunately, my phone camera and microscope hardly display what I can actually see...

Amazing the things we find to stay busy during COVID. I suppose I could be into far more destructive habits than overanalyzing gemstones.

86364225-0D36-4C44-8911-1E931C0C5FD6.jpeg

Attachments

Last edited:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Could it be Andesine Labradorite?

ETA
Oops!
I'm late to the party, and I see you've already decided it is a lab stone. Very pretty, tho!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it’s more glassy in appearance, it could be a quartz (citrine), and if it’s more sparkly, perhaps synthetic sapphire. However, even though those are the two most likely contenders, no one can say for sure from a photo.

MjK1

Shiny_Rock
It looks like a coated topaz to me...

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    May Birthstone 2021 - Emerald
    May Birthstone 2021 - Emerald
    Royal Jewels: A Mother's Love
    Royal Jewels: A Mother's Love
    Celebrity Moms Jewelry Style
    Celebrity Moms Jewelry Style

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.